Page 124 of 628 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224624 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    I did not Google for the Angelita trivia, I just know that stuff and more.
    The story goes that DR. Eric Peterson traded his Cal 20 for the aging 8 meter in the mid 60s, It became the scratch boat on Monterey bay for several years. (until Bill Lee Showed up)
    I used to relish beating Her around the Wednesday night courses with my Hobie cat. Eventually the boat became too much for Eric to maintain and get crew for so it went back on the market. Eric then traded the boat to O'Neill for a Santana 22. Gene Koblic bought the boat with the intension to restore it and had Doug Brouwer start removing the rotted planking, (at Moores reef) and ran out of money. It sat there for a few years until Allan Simkins put together a group to have C&B Marine restore it and donate to the Olympic committee for the LA Olympics. It got sold to somebody who brought it back to Santa Cruz for a while, I met him once but don't remember his name. I have been told that it was restored once more and is currently on the east coast.
    Howard... more trivia for you......
    It was somewhere in the early 60's that ANGELITA (then owned by Ed Tobin) was still in Newport Harbor... I was crew on Walt Podelack's COQUILLE on a Saturday, and sometime during the Saturday night drinking, Walt Podelack and Ed Tobin exchanged boats. On Sunday morning the crews found we were traded as well! My only time sailing on ANGELITA, but she was a beauty. We were told the swap was for real and no money changed hands, but it was hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by chautauqua View Post
    Howard... more trivia for you......
    It was somewhere in the early 60's that the 8 Meter ANGELITA (then owned by Ed Tobin) was still in Newport Harbor... I was crew on Walt Podalak's 10 Meter COQUILLE on a Saturday, and sometime during the Saturday night drinking, Walt Podalak and Ed Tobin exchanged boats. On Sunday morning the crews found we were traded as well! .
    Thanks, CHAUTAUQUA for a great story of ANGELITA. Here's ANGELITA powering upwind.

/Name:  Angie.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  114.3 KB

It will never happen, but what a dream match race between YUCCA and ANGELITA. They used to race against each other in S. California in the 50's. Do you recall YUCCA once exploded and blew the deck off? You wouldn't know that today.

Here's one tough singlehander trivia. But not impossible. When ANGELITA won her Gold Medal in the '32 Olympics, there was also a one man dinghy class racing. These dinghies were wooden centerboarders, 12 feet long, with the mast stepped in the very bow. They had Egyptian duck cotton sails and a boom as long as the mast was high. They were catboats, but that is not the name of the class.

I raced one of these dinghies way back when, in the "Little Biggest Regatta in the World." There were 125 of these identical dinghies racing. My cotton sail was all stretched to hell, and my crew, my 60 pound younger brother, fell asleep in the leeward bilge. I was 70 pounds "soaking wet", and hiking out, it was hard to hold the boat flat.

For your Holiday Egg Nog and Brandy, what was the name of the "Little Biggest Regatta in the World?"

Name:  Snowbird.JPG
Views: 1114
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  flight of snowbirds.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  83.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-16-2015 at 05:10 PM.

From that most reliable of sailing sites, Wikipedia:

"The Flight of the Snowbird, started in 1936, became one of the largest small sailboat races in the World. The first race of record was sailed in 1926 for a trophy put up by the City of Newport Beach. Local yacht clubs had their own series, but the premiere race was the annual flight. At its height in the 1950s nearly 200 boats entered. The Snowbird sailors grew up and moved on to larger boats. They cruised the World, and sailed in yacht races. And some, like America's Cup winner Bill Ficker, went on to make the history books. The Snowbird has sailed into history but the memories linger on." ~ Sled, I don't deserve any extra nog on Saturday - it was the name of the second photo.

When Hank Easom races YUCCA in the SSS races we're in the same start. In this year's Round the Rocks Race I realized one of the advantages YUCCA has on the competition. At the boat end of the line just before the gun, I heard a bow wave on my starboard quarter and turned around. There was YUCCA in all her glory, but slightly barging. I was so taken with her beautiful lines that I gave her a pass. Sure enough, she rolled and gassed me and was off to the windward mark (Alcatraz). That shouldn't happen again but it probably will. She has that effect on you.

I always wanted an OK Dinghy. With its hard chines that Snowbird reminds me of one. Sled, if you keep posting photos of pretty wooden boats I might go out and do something stupid...
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-16-2015 at 06:50 PM.

The answer, I think, is Flight of the Snowbirds.
    I will now RAF due to gross abuse of the internet...of course you do have to remember that Sled grew up in Newport Beach to get there the way I did.

Best,
    DH

I had the plans for an OK once, And even finished cutting out all the parts for the hull, just before they got throne on a bonfire, at the end of a very unsuccessful relationship. The 60s U know!

Careful about loose OK talk... although the Snowbird reminded me more of a Penguin we had in the garage.

my folks raced and built OK's back in the day... in fact I learned how to use power tools working on them.
    I have a set of plans and a vague idea about next winter...Now that would be really stupid.

DH

Howard, I'm told something similar happened to my Dad's disassembled Great Lakes (biplane). Ouch.

Dave, go for it (so I don't have to!)

OK, OK, Domino's use of "RAF" means "Retired After Finishing" in sailboat racing... I can't see where he infringed any trivia rules, because we don't have no stinkin' rules.

RAGTIME is correct, the 12 foot catboats used in the 1932 Olympics were "Snowbirds." That's Snowbird #1 looking all pretty in the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum. If you want a giggle, check out this Flight of the Snowbirds. "Blow me down with a marlinspike," he says.
    https://www.facebook.com/NewportBeac...75907682449743

My apologies to "JohnS," SHTP trivia winner, for not having your contact info. You are invited Saturday to an eggnog and brandy prize giving in Capitola, 2-4 pm. If you need directions, please contact skipallanatsbcglobaldotnet.

Our local Santa Cruz harbor is long and narrow, 4540' long x 400' average width.
    Until dredged in 1962-63, it was a lake, "Woods Lagoon."

Name:  sc harbor.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  124.2 KB

Due to design errors by the Army Corp of Engineers, and with the entrance breakwaters opening to the South, large winter swells and the occasional tsunami, enter the Harbor, and slosh from end to end like a long bathtub, wreaking havoc. On March 3 of 2011, the Japanese Tsunami entered Santa Cruz Harbor, sank several dozen boats, and caused millions in damage over 6-8 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt8qBSZEn0

Fortunately, last weekend's big swell did little damage, mostly because the Harbor's Entrance is shoaled and the overhead swell was mitigated by the sandbar. Nevertheless, the sloshing factor was in evidence, with surging currents of 5-7 knots reversing every minute or so, like in a big bathtub.

A friend on a 27 foot sloop in his slip in the Upper Harbor (north of the Murray St. Bridge.) reported his knotmeter going from zero to 5-7 knots, sometimes as fast as 9 knots, before reversing and going similar speeds in the opposite direction. I have no reason to doubt him.

Good reason to have healthy docklines and a means of lashing your tiller/wheel/rudder amidships so as not to break it off when wintering in Santa Cruz Harbor. And if you have a centerboard, pull that up too, as Beau smartly did on his big schooner MAYAN.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-18-2015 at 05:26 PM.

A shout-out to my dear nephew Jeremy (29) who has taken a year off from the New York Times and is currently on an adventurous singlehanded tour of the Americas.

Jeremy left New York City in late Sept., bound towards Tierra Del Fuego on the southern tip of South America. His transportation is a modified KLR 650 motorcycle he setup: Steel panniers, a tarp tent, hammock, and rain suit. USB charging on the bike. Heated vest & grips.

To cross the swampy, roadless and notorious Darien Gap of southern Panama, Jeremy hitched a ride with his hog on a cruising boat transiting the Panama Canal and heading to Cartegena. Just today, Jeremy successfully crossed from southern Columbia into northern Ecuador after a long day on gravel roads of the "Pan American Highway."

Enroute through Mexico, Jeremy rode to basecamp on Pico de Orizaba, then climbed 9 hours to the 18,491' summit. Orizaba is the highest peak in Mexico and third highest in North America after Denali and Mt. Logan.

Name:  orizaba.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  83.6 KB

Jeremy's plan: return northwards via the east coast of South America and ascend to the far north of Alaska (Prudhoe Bay) next summer. 35,000 miles, 20 countries.

Knowing Jeremy's toughness, savvy, and smarts, I wouldn't put it past him. Godspeed Dear Friend. https://twitter.com/jashkenas
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-23-2015 at 12:07 AM.