Page 125 of 631 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225625 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 6305

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

The sinking of the Nantucket whaler ESSEX when rammed by a pissed off sperm whale and the subsequent small boat journey of its crew is one of the classic true sea stories, rivaling the Bounty Trilogy, by Nordhoff/Hall.

Wary of Hollywood's lack of sailing acumen after disgust with Robert Redford's disastrous "All is Lost," I have read, but not yet seen "Into the Heart of the Sea," Hollywood's story of the ESSEX. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has.

380 miles westnorthwest of Hanalei Bay, Kauai, lies French Frigate Shoals. FFS, a 20 mile long, crescent-shaped atoll, is a maze of coral reefs, rocky pinnacles, small low lying islands and white sand beaches, many submerged at high tide.

Name:  FFS-Aerial-.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  22.5 KB

Though Polynesians likely visited FFS, it was accidentally first discovered during a dark night in November, 1786, by the French navigator and explorer Jean-Francois La Perouse, when his crew sighted breakers ahead and quickly tacked ship. La Perouse Pinnacle, 120 feet high, is the only remnant of FFS's volcanic origins, and from a distance, looks like a ship under sail.

Name:  LPPinnacle.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  1.5 KB Name:  pinnacle.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  2.6 KB

Before accurate electronic navigation, FFS and it's reefs, were a magnet for later shipwrecks.

In 1821, Captain Pollard, late of the ESSEX epic, was given command of another whaler, TWO BROTHERS, out of Nantucket. As Pollard told his friends, "Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice."

But it did. In Feb. 1823, Capt. Pollard ran the TWO BROTHERS up on French Frigate Shoals, where she quickly came apart and sank. Pollard and crew were rescued by the nearby whaler MARTHA.

Just where was the TWO BROTHERS wrecked? The exact location remained a mystery for 187 years.

Then, by a bit of luck, in 2008, in shoal water, remnants of an old ship were found at FFS, including old style anchors and whale blubber try pots. Two other whaling ships had also been wrecked at FFS, but in later years.

Today, French Frigate Shoals is part of the Papahānaumokuākea Northwestern Hawaiian Islands National Marine Monument and a World Heritage Site. Nothing may be visited, moved, or removed without highly scrutinized government permits.

After exhaustive research and documentation, in 2010 a combined team of NOAA scientists and researchers were able to ascertain with certainty that the newly located shipwreck at FFS was indeed Capt. Pollard's whaler TWO BROTHERS.

There is exciting and excellent film documentation of finding the TWO BROTHERS at French Frigate Shoals available online, including a 30 minute film. The story to date is available here: http://www.papahanaumokuakea.gov/mar...obrothers.html

Lightning did strike twice. Pollard, fictionalized in Melville's MOBY DICK, never got another command. The moral may be to keep a good lookout forward, and don't mess with whales.

Blessings and Merry Christmas to All!
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-24-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    ...in 2010 a combined team of NOAA scientists and researchers were able to ascertain with certainty that the newly located shipwreck at FFS was indeed Capt. Pollard's whaler.
    Name:  scuba-cat-6.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  28.1 KBName:  scubacat.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  21.7 KB
    Last edited by red roo; 12-26-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Exactly what did you whisper to these Cats to convince them that Scuba Diving was a good idea?

Skip,

Here is a link to the NYYC Race Week at Newport in 2012. ANGELITA is still winning races. Lots more classic's. A great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCrbZbgXTo

Rich

Thanks, Rich, for the above link to the NYYC Classic Regatta in Narragansett Bay, off Newport, R.I. At 2:35 is a nice sequence of ANGELITA winning the start, 80 years after her Olympic Gold Medal.

This 12 minute video is eye candy for aficionados of classic and historical yachts, and a reminder that sailing is different in parts of the world. In New England, matching crew uniforms, signal flags, varnish and wood, and yachts big and small handed down through generations of families remains common Maine to Marblehead, Bristol to Essex, and many harbors in between.

To windward, these low freeboard, narrow classics, with overhangs fore and aft, bring to mind a phrase uncommonly heard in these parts:
    "Slicing to windward."

In stark contrast to sailing classics will be the December 31st arrival in San Francisco Bay of the largest containership ever to visit North America. With a name as long as the ship, I hate to call the MV CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN a "her."

The BEN FRANKLIN is over 1,300 feet long, 177 foot beam, and carries upwards of 18,000 plus containers, needing 7 shoreside cranes to unload. BEN FRANKLIN's owner's are touting the "mega" ship as "only" needing 27 crew.

I will attempt to get details from the SF Bar Pilots, but it looks to me, by inexact scaling from photos, that forward visibility from the BEN FRANKLIN's bridge over the top of the 7 high container stacks is no less than a mile. Even with full width bridge wings and steering stations, that's a significant "blind spot," especially as how future plans are to stack containers 10 high once shoreside cranes are raised to accommodate such loading.

Is San Francisco really able to accept a ship this size? Someone is about to find out.

http://gcaptain.com/photos-first-ult.../#.VoGIXFKyq8A
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-28-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Is San Francisco really able to accept a ship this size? Someone is about to find out.
    I hope it's not on the bay on January 30! It might take out half the Fiasco fleet.

Tornados and waterspouts are relatively rare on the West Coast of North America. A winner of the National Geographic 2015 photo contest provides a spectacular look at an equally rare "anti-cyclonic" tornado in Colorado: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-3...ontest/7060526

If it weren't for the fact Colorado tornado is possibly 200 feet in diameter, and 2,000 feet high, it looks like a length of 3-strand, hemp rope descending from the heavens.

The first place National Geo photo winner, from more than 18,000 submissions, was judged to be a mother and young humpback calf cruising in the vicinity of Roca Partida, in the Revillagigedos, southwest of Baja.
    http://travel.nationalgeographic.com.../winners-all/1
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-30-2015 at 02:24 PM.

The first place National Geo photo winner, from more than 18,000 submissions, was judged to be a mother and young humpback calf cruising in the vicinity of Roca Partida, in the Revillagigedos, southwest of Baja.
    http://travel.nationalgeographic.com.../winners-all/1
    And, for my (non-award winning) untouched photo of Roca Partida see post #884 above. And yes, it does look like a sailing ship from a distance with nothing else in sight but blue ocean. Roca Partida is an amazing place at the edge of the continental shelf. I've been diving there on two trips, but never saw whales. Since the location is out in the deep blue there are lots of palagics (not the autopilot types): giant mantas, sharks and lots of big fish. The vertical faces drop to about 200' where there's a bit of a shoulder then drops off to 10-12,000 feet. Don't count on a depth sounder to give any warning.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 12-30-2015 at 06:02 PM.

And here "HE" comes. MV CMA CGM BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, the biggest container ship yet to visit North America, is currently northbound off the Big Sur Coast, jogging along at 11.4 knots, with an ETA Oakland tomorrow morning, 0830. You can watch on Marine Traffic AIS here: https://www.marinetraffic.com/ee/ais...tery:27/zoom:2 or here: http://hd-sf.com/shippingreport.html

I have a feeling this is just a PR visit, and no containers will be unloaded from the Big Ben.

Meanwhile, halfway around the World, close friend Capt. Ivo of the Czech Republic has just safely transited the Suez Canal northbound on his 1,201 foot container ship, inbound from the Far East to Genoa, Italy.

Ivo and I have stayed in touch, sailed together, and become family, since that day in 2008 when he skillfully piloted his ship, MSC TORONTO, into position to safely take me aboard from WILDFLOWER, 400 miles off the California Coast.
    Name:  02-12-2013 01;42;46PM.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  160.7 KB

On his recent Suez Passage, Ivo reported the Egyptian pilots even more bickersome than normal, yelling and shouting, and demanding cartons of cigarettes to continue. Though Ivo does not easily give into bribery and doesn't smoke, it cost 37 cartons of Marlboros to safely complete the Suez transit.

I can only guess somebody didn't pay the pilots enough bribery for this to happen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ocTTkHqQcg
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-30-2015 at 09:02 PM.