Page 161 of 628 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Not long ago, ROWENA was for sale in Newport, CA. The photos are worth a look.
    Thanks for that link! What a beauty - I forgot she's a Rhodes design.

With regard to LITTLE PACKET, you sound interested?
    We owned a couple of wooden boats so I have an idea what I'd be facing. We easily spent as many hours maintaining SQUALI and ALTA as we spent sailing them and they were not large boats - 21' and 23' respectively. SQUALI was mahogany on oak frames and like LITTLE PACKET, had painted canvas decks. ALTA had a clinker hull of oak planking on oak frames, all naturally-finished. Her decks were teak. They were beautiful boats when everything was in good shape but often you just wanted to put the sandpaper down and go sailing.

And yet, the tug of uniqueness and nostalgia is still there, and these boats will not be replaceable once they are lost to neglect. I've considered going to have a look.

Regarding tillers, I spent most of my sailing years in dinghies. While Rags behaves as you describe it would be difficult to get used to a wheel. It's only a 33'er - I'd be looking to convert it to a tiller.

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    That's a photo of the Corinthian YC, Tiburon. Semi-famous race starts there is the SSS Singlehanded Transpac.
    Steve is correct: the SSS Singlehanded Transpac starts in front of the Corinthian Yacht Club in Tiburon, CA. Only took 5 minutes for the winning answer to be received.

I promise this quiz won't be as easy. If there is a winner, he/she wins an overnight stay at the Capitola Boating Club and Maritime Museum.

Follow along: The Singlehanded Transpac passes two significant headlands close aboard. Both have historical lighthouses. The first is Point Bonita, 2.4 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge. The second is Kilauea Point, 5.8 miles east of the Hanalei Bay finish line.

Both lighthouses are spectacular places to visit, with gorgeous views. Kilauea Point Light, which sits on the rim of an ancient volcanic crater, was once the site of "kukui ahi", fires lit by the Hawaiians of old to guide fisherman home.

Between 1912-1913, a more hi-tech version of the kukui ahi was built, and the Kilauea Point Lighthouse, 180 feet above sea level, became home to a second order Fresnel Lens, with a light reportedly visible up to 90 miles to aircraft such as "Bird of Paradise," which, on June 28–29, 1927, crewed by 1st Lt. Lester J. Maitland and 1st Lt. Albert F. Hegenberger, completed the first flight over the Pacific Ocean, from California to Hawaii.

Kilauea Point also has an interesting geologic feature just offshore, Mokuaeae Island. "Mokuaeae" means "islet frothing in the rising tide." During times of low surf, the endangered monk seal can be seen sunning on Mokuaeae's rocks.

Name:  Kilauea2.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  32.4 KB

Mokuaeae Island lies just 360 feet across a narrow channel from Kilauea Point's rocky cliff. I've stood looking down on that channel many times, wondering if anyone has been foolish or brave enough to try and sail inside Mokuaeae Island.

Name:  Kilauea3.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  115.3 KB

An answer was finally revealed, and the choices are as follow: (Only one is correct.)

A. It would be nearly impossible to sail through the Mokuaeae Passage due to the underwater hazard of several "bommies" just below the surface.

B. The Lighthouse tender KUKUI once sailed through the Passage in September of 1912 while delivering materials for the construction of the lighthouse. The supplies were hauled up the cliff using a derrick crane set in the lava rock.

C. Singlehanded sailor Claudia H. once sailed her pretty blue, 24' double-ender TIARE through the Mokuaeae Passage on a day trip from Nawiliwili to Hanalei.

D. The beautiful 44' Gene Wells design cutter STARLIGHT, now homeported in Nawiliwili, used the Passage at least twice under its original owner, Walter Hoffman, who used to snorkel in the area.

E. After the 1973 Transpac, the C&C 61 ROBON spinnakered through the Mokuaeae Passage, likely eliciting choice and astonished comments from the tourists above as well as from the crew below as their spinnaker went aback mid-channel.

Ready, Set, Go.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-02-2016 at 10:26 AM.

I'm going with "B" since the name and dates match up.

Bob, I think you are right. I visited the light house last week and saw a picture of a derrick. My first reaction was why didn't they just truck that stuff over land, but I started to think that there were no roads leading out of harbors to the light house back then. -Joe B.

I'm going with D; partly to be contrarian, but also because I see no evidence that KUKUI was anything but engine driven.

Ha HA!

Name:  IMGP0003.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  224.2 KB

Here's STARLIGHT in her dotage, visited a week ago at Nawilwili. Gene Wells designed her in 1956. In his later years, Wells lived in Anahola, up the road from Kilauea, designing and building beautiful boats right up to the end.

Originally a light blue, I thought STARLIGHT one of the prettiest and fastest boats of her generation, second only to CHUBASCO and TICONDEROGA.

Unfortunately, though STARLIGHT did race in the '61&'63 Transpacs, owner Walter Hoffman never sailed her through the Mokuaeae Passage. I like David's contrarian
    approach. But like BobJ and Joe B., your answer is incorrect and you will have to sit on the lazarette hatch and cheer other contestants.

I'm going with "E" Robon, only because I was there as the delivery skipper on Robon after our Transpac finish in '73, and we were racing from Hono to Hanalei with owner Bob Grant aboard, who asked me if we could sail inside the rock ?
    I checked the chart and showed 18 ft of depth I believe, and we sailed thru with no problem, except the chute backed for a moment in the lee there. I had done 2 previous Hono to Hanalei races so was familiar with that coastline.
    I had related this story to the Sleddog and he ran with it...

Also I spent several years sailing on ROWENA mentioned above, with owner Don Dalziel at StFYC, he had her built at Stone Yard in 1963-64. And I was a cadet at CMA in Vallejo from '64 -'67 and raced and slept on Rowena every weekend.
    Wonderful boat, but never won any races, very comfortable fast cruiser. Loved the pix of her listing at Ardell Yachts above also.
    Aloha, Bob Buell

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buell View Post
    Wonderful boat, but never won any races, very comfortable fast cruiser.
    One of the reasons I haven't looked at LITTLE PACKET is related to this. I realized I was studying the photos to see how much weight I could get out of her - all those oil lamps (what is it with the oil lamps?), the anchor, chain and windlass on the bow, all that steering gear in the stern, and so on. Then I looked at the D/LWL ratio with an eye to what the PHRF rating might be and concluded I was running down the wrong trail!

Meantime... nothing like a little "insider information" to win one of Sled's contests! That was the choice I thought was LEAST likely to be the answer!

That's nuts! But, it's tempting! Did you guys motor or sail out?