Page 168 of 628 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Hi Skip,
    Hope for quick recovery. Hope the doc's were thoughtful and attached a permanent bottle opener to the bottom of your foot. Who needs a flipflop? "Hi to Annie".

Patty
    sv Dolfin

A surreal afternoon/evening as a mushroom cloud rose over Loma Prieta Peak, 8 miles inland. Homes and animals being evacuated as record triple digit temps were recorded in the area. Tonight from Capitola I can see 100 foot flames in the hills casting an eerie glow, reminiscent of growing up in S.Cal and seeing the mountains on fire.
    Name:  Loma Prieta Fire.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  21.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-27-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Nice to hear from Synthia that Flippy is in Warsaw collaborating with Franz Liszt on his next piano concerto.
    Name:  Flippy16.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  844.5 KB

I enjoyed another Polish interlude this morning when my foot surgeon PA cut-off the previous splint and applied a new blue fiberglas cast. The 3"x4 yard stretchy fiberglas cloth for this cast is made by 3M in Poland, and is activated by water reactive resin. It kicks off in 5 minutes and comes in 13 colors. I immediately contacted Howard and suggested we could possibly use this stuff in our boat repair business. His comment was the fiberglas cast cloth is porous and breathable, and apparently not waterproof.....

The removal of the splint temporarily revealed my new foot, and things are looking good according to the surgeon. Only 4 weeks to go before I'm able to walk again with both feet on the ground.
    Name:  Hallux.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  549.4 KB Name:  Hallux2.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  504.4 KB

Unfortunately, Patty and Bill, the doctor's assistants balked at inserting a bottle opener in the bottom of the cast like in the flipflops. So we'll have to be without, hihi.

The MVP equipment is, by far, the knee scooter, which allows me to cruise around the house without crutches. Unfortunately, it is heavy (steel parts), has a large turning radius, marginal brakes, and the stability of an Aussie 18. So far I have not capsized. But there have been several near misses where a wheel caught a crack or door jam. Howard and I will be discussing making these handy scooters out of carbon fiber or PVC. Name:  IMGP0002-001.JPG
Views: 957
Size:  272.4 KB

Of much less use to the single-footed sailor was the "beach accessible" wheelchair, mandated by the California Coastal Commission for State Parks near the water. My attempt to get the wheel chair, lacking any means of self-propulsion except by several sherpas pushing or carrying the thing, resulted in immediately getting stuck in the sand near the Cement Ship. The only thing to do was get out of the wheel chair, and hop push it along. Even then, I could see the large tires rubbing against the tube framework, creating massive friction. Name:  IMGP0001-005.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  250.3 KB

Once back to the parking lot, I reverted to the knee scooter. And continued my education on the difficulty and lack of access for the disabled. Sea Cliff State Beach has a nice handicap accessible "promenade" along the waterfront. Unfortunately, the sand drifts apparently hadn't been cleared in months, and the knee scooter wheels sunk in. I detoured into the road, only to find eucalyptus berries hindered pushing with my good foot and again nearly capsized the scooter. As Jackie says, "welcome to the world of the disabled."

4 weeks to go before I'm able to walk again with both feet on the ground. Meanwhile, Jackie has suggested a higher caliber of fashion by painting the toes pink or red ....but they are now hidden under fiberglas, so that will have to wait.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-28-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Now personally I think you can never go wrong with blue, but every sailor looks pretty in pink. Hmmm. What goes well with surgical thread? Always a fashion quandary.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Frog, Orson, and all the guys enjoy the adventures of Flippy, but are having a hard time with the gruesome X rays??!

The replica of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo's flagship SAN SALVADOR arriving this morning in Morro Bay. Thanks to Craig Johnsen of nearby Los Osos for the photo.Name:  San Salvador.JPG
Views: 1009
Size:  581.8 KB

The original galleon SAN SALVADOR, under the command of Cabrillo, was the first European flagged ship to explore California, "discovering" San Diego Bay on Sept. 28, 1542 and claiming the new territory for Spain.

Cabrillo, disrepecting local natives along the way, continued sailing north, visiting Catalina, Santa Monica Bay, the Channel Islands, Cuyler Harbor on San Miguel Island, and ultimately reached the Russian River before turning south, back to overwinter at Catalina, where he died of gangrene after slipping on a rock and breaking a leg.

The new SAN SALVADOR, painstakingly researched and built in San Diego by professionals and volunteers as an educational platform, is sailing on her maiden cruise along the coast and recently visited Monterey Harbor before heading back south. At 92 feet overall, complete with chickens in cages, she is reportedly "full sized, fully functional, and historically accurate."

I'll bet Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo would have appreciated the John Deere diesels that drive his modern sister-ship to windward.

https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/san-salvador/
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-29-2016 at 01:44 PM.

And the water tight bulkheads, and the bottom paint, and the modern electronics (hidden away), and the access to modern medicine including antibiotics to avoid gangrene. I'll bet the food's better, too. Perhaps even that Coast Guard helicopter ride from the island to the hospital.

The last time we were in London we stopped by the "Golden Hinde" nestled in her permanent dry dock along the Thames on the Bank Side. I remember going out to greet her in 1988 when she visited S. F. to celebrate Drake's original visit to nearby Pt. Reyes (or maybe not?). The "Golden Hinde" crew, dressed in period costume, also appreciated their diesel engine. My pictures show the sails pressed back against the masts and shrouds as she "sailed" in under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Sometimes......
    Sometimes when the Autumn light is right, and the sun is low to the west,
    Santa Cruz has a special feeling.

Name:  fog3.JPG
Views: 871
Size:  540.4 KB

Name:  fog1.JPG
Views: 944
Size:  419.7 KB

”SARAH” is a classic gaff-rigged Sharpie ketch designed in the 19th century, built by Bill Garvie (1919-2009) in San Rafael, California, and launched in 2005 when Garvie was 86.
    http://www.californiaclassicsail.com...ing-sarah.html

Thanks to long time local V.Vaughn Visnius for the tasty photos.
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.

It is calendar scenes like the ones above that help rationalize the cost of living here in Santa Cruz, and Capitola!

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    It is calendar scenes like the ones above that help rationalize the cost of living here in Santa Cruz, and Capitola!
    And owning sailboats !!