Page 172 of 631 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 6305

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner for TIGER BEETLE! (And a quart of Marianne's Macapuno, yumm.

The answer to Question #1 is the wire jib sheet, which can take off a leg if you aren't careful when short tacking in breeze. Why wire sheets? In those days, rope was too stretchy for jib sheets. The leads are correct, but the nearby wire afterguys make things appear crossed up. And yes, Howard, those are Sparcraft "J-Locks" on the jib sheets.

The answer to Question #2 is the Ray Hunt designed and Lawley built "225." Basically a 36 foot "110", the "225" preceded the 110 by a few years. The 225 only weighs 2460 pounds, 540 pounds less than a Santa Cruz 27.

DAGGER, in the photo, is the last remaining, in sailing form, Lawley 225 in existence. A second existing hull was reported to be in Kansas being used as a flower box. DAGGER uses an Etchells rig.

Name:  2-25.png
Views: 914
Size:  256.4 KB

Next I was going to guess a 210, but it has overhangs. Which reminds me of the Ted Turner quote...
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-31-2016 at 09:52 PM.

"The" Ted Turner quote?
    Surveying a rival's broken rig, "Looks like you didn't pay enough."

Name:  lawley225brochure.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  287.9 KB

Name:  lawley225proto.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  57.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-31-2016 at 10:08 PM.

The Ted Turner quote about overhangs (or the lack thereof).

Okay, I've blown well through my self-imposed 2,000 post limit anyway, so I'll post a couple queries:

1) When I started sailing in 1969, one Master Mariners regular was, at that time, the oldest boat still racing in the YRA under her original rig. This fine vessel made her debut at the Corinthian Yacht Club's Opening Day in 1914. When I knew of her in the early 70's, her skipper was a maritime lawyer in Oakland whose office was, I believe, in the same little waterfront suite where Gamayun now has her office. What is the vessel and who was her owner/skipper?

2) A popular one-design then (early 70's) was sold in either keel or centerboard versions. Though shorter than 20', the keel version was seen in great numbers racing in the central Bay. What was it?

Don't know #1 , but I think #2 would be a Rhodes/O'Day 19

Greg is correct - the Rhodes 19. I think O'Day built only an enclosed-cabin version and called it the Mariner. The original R-19 had a cuddy.

You can still buy a new Rhodes 19 (or Mariner) from Stuart Marine in Maine, with either a keel or the more popular centerboard version. Nice boats!

When I was in HS, my best friends family had a 110 sitting on a trailer in their front yard for years. My sailing had been in El Toro's and Santana 22's so that 110 looked mighty funny to me. I went away to college and the boat was still sitting there. A few years later I was out visiting and the boat was gone. My friend said that his older brother got up in it to pump it out one February day and put his foot clean through the bottom of the hull. Plywood rots.

At least he didn't have to pump it out.

A few years back on Sailing Anarchy, I remember an article about some guys who put racks, an outrageously oversize rig and a mini 6.5 keel on a 110. They raced it around Baltimore harbor, or someplace back east and smoked everybody until the PHRF committee finally re-rated them.

If you really like the notion of slab-sided and skinny...especially with hiking racks, you can still get free plans online to build "Splinter".

http://www.polysail.com/Splinter.htm
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-01-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

OSTAR 2013 video I enjoyed. I like his boat, too, you can see the "evolution" of the boat here... http://www.corby-yachts.com/spirit.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sm9VznwbgM
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-01-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Random comments:

1. Wire sheets (with dacron tails), I remember them too well. The state-of-the art used galvanized plow steel wire-rope because it was less prone to developing nasty "fish hooks." Engineering of sailboat systems has always been part science, part black magic. When boats started using wire sheets to reduce stretch and therefore stabilize sail shape, there were unintended consequences: things started breaking that had been fine before. Winches broke or were pulled loose. Shackles broke. Skip had good reason to be concerned.

2. 110 racing is alive and well at the Inverness Yacht Club. The 110 Nationals were held there this past summer. Coincidental to Skip's posting of a photo of IMP, one of her crew dominates the Inverness 110 fleet.

3. Since we seem to be running a trivia contest. The owner of IMP was David Allen (no relation to Skip). I think that's him right over Skip's shoulder in the photo. So for no prize, what boats did David Allen race and cruise before IMP?

4. Bob, I know the answer to your Question #1. I was involved in MMBA for some years and raced in the 1966 race, the second year of modern MMBA racing.

Tom

[QUOTE=BobJ;16068]
    1) When I started sailing in 1969, one Master Mariners regular was, at that time, the oldest boat still racing in the YRA under her original rig. This fine vessel made her debut at the Corinthian Yacht Club's Opening Day in 1914. When I knew of her in the early 70's, her skipper was a maritime lawyer in Oakland whose office was, I believe, in the same little waterfront suite where Gamayun now has her office. What is the vessel and who was her owner/skipper?

Apparently DAZZLER knows the answer to RAGTIME's question, but isn't telling. I'm gonna guess it wasn't YANKEE, because YANKEE, launched 1906, began life as a sloop and was converted to a schooner, eliminating her from contention.

It could then be FREDA, POLARIS, or BILLIKEN, and I'm going with the cute little gaff yawl BILLIKEN, launched in 1914 and once owned by Oakland Admiralty lawyer William Vaughn, below.

Name:  BILLIKEN.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  308.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-01-2016 at 04:49 PM.