Page 173 of 630 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 6291

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Sled got that one right. And if anyone is interested there is lots more to tell about Bill Vaughn, like how he was responsible for auctioning off USA 61, THE GEEK.

So Sled, about that boat Dave Allen raced before IMP. You MUST know.

It starts with "Imp..."

And correct with Bill Vaughn. Bill was largely responsible for re-activating the MMBA in 1965 and was its Commodore from 1965-1976. BILLIKEN was two docks east of us at Alameda Marina in those days. Lester Stone's SCAMP was on the same dock, closer to shore. Another Master Mariner on that dock was the yawl MARYBETH, on which my dad crewed. Some stories there.

MARYBETH has her own website.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-01-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    So Sled, about that boat Dave Allen raced before IMP. You MUST know.
    David Allen loved schooners. And sailing with his family. Which he did in the 70's on his 53 foot schooner PRIVATEER, including racing the 1967 Transpac.

Name:  DWA2.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  28.7 KB

Name:  DWA4.png
Views: 830
Size:  520.2 KB

Name:  DWA5.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  48.5 KB

[QUOTE=sleddog;16077]David Allen loved schooners. And sailing with his family. Which he did in the 70's on his 53 foot schooner PRIVATEER, including racing the 1967 Transpac.QUOTE]

What a gorgeous schooner, AND what a contrast with IMP. There are so many fond memories and connections. The 1967 TransPac must be particularly memorable for Sled. I was there too on a much slower boat.

I also remember a particularly windy Drakes Bay Race (maybe Spring 1967) where on the way up the fleet suffered considerable damage. On Sunday morning the sun shown brightly through the anchored fleet, backdropped by the white cliffs we have all enjoyed on a sunny morning. There was PRIVATEER looking very good, and along comes Myron Spaulding stand-up in a dinghy, sculling with one oar off the transom through the anchorage. I thought that was magic.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 11-01-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It starts with "Imp..."

And correct with Bill Vaughn. Bill was largely responsible for re-activating the MMBA in 1965 and was its Commodore from 1965-1976. BILLIKEN was two docks east of us at Alameda Marina in those days. Lester Stone's SCAMP was on the same dock, closer to shore. Another Master Mariner on that dock was the yawl MARYBETH, on which my dad crewed. Some stories there.

MARYBETH has her own website.
    Bill Vaughn's boat was Evening Star, an Alden yawl I believe. I was docked next to Evening Star for years and heard many stories from Bill and his wife Sandra. Long story short, Bill and Sandra died and the boat sat abandoned on our pier for years. Was finally bought by a gentleman by the name of Peter Byrne who I believe is in the process of, or has completed, refurbishing the boat. Peter was active on the Wooden Boat forum although I haven't seen a new post is a number of years. http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/.../t-141189.html

Hi Don, and welcome to the fray. You'll have to give us some history about RED CLOUD one of these days.

You are correct - Bill bought EVENING STAR after he sold BILLIKEN.

Back in the day before Bill Vaughn bought the 1937, 54' Alden yawl EVENING STAR, she was owned and raced by Gene Trepte of San Diego Yacht Club. With her large foretriangle and mizzen staysails, EVENING STAR was a force to be reckoned with, and won most every Southern CA race. She did the 1951 TransPac, with a young Bill Lapworth in the crew...

Name:  Evening Star 2.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  283.6 KB

Trepte kept EVENING STAR looking beautiful. I always wondered how she would do in stiff SF Bay breezes, being so over-rigged and all. Designs of that era weren't meant for increased strains of modern cordage, sailcloth, and rigging.

I saw EVENING STAR at the berth in Alameda, but never out sailing. I fear rot and age has got the best of her. Restoration is likely to cost more than building a complete new boat. (But bottomless pockets has recently done a full restoration to SANTANA.)

Name:  EVENING STAR 3.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  199.6 KB

Can anyone identify this one design class, originated shortly after the end of WW I, meant to revive the sport of yachting and attract returning war vets to sailing at low cost?

Name:  Bird Boat.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  34.9 KB

Oh wella everybody's heard about the Bird,
    Bird, Bird, Bird, well the Bird is the word

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Oh wella everybody's heard about the Bird,
    Bird, Bird, Bird, well the Bird is the word
    I'm sorry, Max, but the "Bird is not the word", nor is it this one design class of boat..Anyone else want to try?