Page 181 of 628 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    And for BOBJ, I worked for John Beery at the time you were messing with that Mercury.
    Do you remember when John experimented with land sailers? He had to go to the hospital after running one into the back of a truck outside his office.

Pax Davis is still big into Mercuries. In 1969 my folks bought his father's 21' hard-chined sloop "SQUALI." Beery had the listing.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-04-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    How do you know we were unsuccessful? You might recall we successfully sank a submarine out there. Oh and the Mercury was red - about the color of Heintz ketchup...
    Name:  mercury4.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  6.5 KB

Col Woods plywood boat was red....which has nothing to do with the number 57.

Is there still a fleet launching off the Stillwater Cove pier?

Look a Mercury "project" for sale. - http://humboldt.craigslist.org/boa/5936645328.html
    Looks like a plywood boat. There was a Clipper for sale out in Fresno, on CL for months upon months, maybe back in 2014.

The Moore mercuries that I've seen have watertight bulkheads under the foredeck and behind the helm. They're supposed to float if you dunk 'em. The Schock boats didn't.

Maybe 57 is the number of times Pax Davis won the National Championship? LOL
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-03-2017 at 03:25 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Moore mercuries that I've seen have watertight bulkheads under the foredeck and behind the helm.
    Ok, maybe AlanH is on to something about the (mysterious) number 57.
    So, the Moore Mercuries have watertight bulkheads, making them unsinkable, and this feature is "singular to the [Moore built] Mercury design, and... important for sailing out of Monterey and Stillwater." In contrast, the Shields class boats, also popular in Monterey, do not have flotation.

The Mercury bulkheads are at stations 5 and 7. How about that!

Sled wrote that "57" refers to something about the keel itself.

(Edit) Speculating it might be the angle of the keel's leading edge at the waterline (optimized to push kelp aside) I attempted, without success, to find a protractor in an accounting office. Finding one online, I measured every angle on the line drawing of the Mercury and nothing is close to 57 degrees. That's the bad news.

The good news is, now that I've been sacked for wasting the firm's time on this, I'll have more time to sail.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-03-2017 at 03:30 PM.

The only 57 I can think of has already be rejected!

Bal./Disp.: 57.72%

Come to find out that in the early 70's a company called Clark made fiberglass Mercuries . I wonder if this is the same outfit that made San Juan sailboats
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I give up, I have just read everything I can find on line about the Mercuries and found no reference to 57 other than "ballast ratio."

Ironically back before there was a Harbor in Santa Cruz, I had sailed with O'neill on his P CAT a few times but never sailed a monohull.
    The Santa Cruz YC had a small building on the wharf and kept 2 Mercs on moorings a third one was owned by MR. Kinzie, he also owned the cement plant at Davenport.
    Well, Bob, his son, & I surfed together so he invited me to sail with him, so it is a fact that first keel boat I ever sailed on was a Mercury.

All this verbiage for a "winner, winner, chicken dinner"? These months in between singlehanded races are killing me! My attention is wandering.

BTW (that means By The Way - I looked it up), Howard spelled backwards is DRAWOH, image provided.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's raining cats and dogs here in Santa Cruz, with some street flooding deep enough to float Howard's little blue box (electric car)....

The National Weather Service is positively chatty tonight with their forecast for things to come: "Multiple Hazards in Effect." "Flash Flood Watch for Santa Cruz County." "Potent atmospheric river event this weekend." 1"-1.5" lurking off the coast, possible rumble of thunder. Wind gusts to 45 mph with Half Moon Bay Buoy reporting gusts to 37 knots. A wind advisory issued for entire Bay Area."

In the Small Craft Advisory Department, I'm not sure we were advised DURA MATER sports a shiny new tiller:

Name:  Tiller.JPG
Views: 974
Size:  506.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-03-2017 at 09:20 PM.