Page 182 of 628 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    All this verbiage for a "winner, winner, chicken dinner"?
    Jackie, Jackie, Jackie.... you must know by now that it's not about the prize, it's the journey.

BTW, have you looked up LOL. I'm laughing!

And, what a lovely new tiller. Please do tell us the story.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and DURA MATER.
    Tom
    Last edited by Dazzler; 01-03-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: More to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Jackie, Jackie, Jackie.... you must know by now that it's not about the prize, it's the journey. BTW, have you looked up LOL. I'm laughing! And, what a lovely new tiller. Please do tell us the story. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and DURA MATER. Tom
    Well, Okay. Since you're just sitting there drinking your coffee, Tom, and you can't come up with the answer anyway: Three years ago Skip told me I should replace my tiller. It had a crack up and down its length. I said I would but instead I wrapped it with fiberglass tape and it worked just fine. Then Bob started bragging about all the bling he was buying Ragtime! and I began to experience guilt. Did I not love DM as much as Bob loves Rags? Well, that did it. So I ordered the new tiller, which had to be sanded, shortened and re-varnished before I could install it. Sigh. Isn't that always the way? So there it is, and it required a slightly longer bolt to fit into my wonderful Pelagic. Now I am reading Christian Williams' book, given to me by Steve Hodges. He promised me something made of carbon fiber and I was expecting a new mast, but oh well, the book is very nice and I was able to drive home with it without opening up the sunroof, so that was good. Oh dear, I forgot this was the history channel. Sorry for the hijack. What is the answer, please?

Very nice - an asset to the boat.

For the next step, don't forget Synthia can "cover your assets" (her own tag line). She made all of Rags' covers, except for the winch covers because she doesn't like to make those.

As for the answer, I suspect Sled is enjoying leaving us to dangle.

Everybody likes red. Here's Jackie on the beach today in Monterey attempting to figure out how Monterey, despite being well charted by explorers Sir Francis Drake (1542) and Sebastian Vizcaino (1602), was "lost" for 168 years until being rediscovered on Gaspar Portola's second expedition of discovery up California.

Name:  Jackie.JPG
Views: 1067
Size:  84.8 KB

Vizcaino, visiting Monterey with his 3 ship expeditionary fleet, had rightly described Monterey in glowing terms as being near 37 degrees latitude, an all weather port, "sheltered from all winds" and the best port north of San Diego. Vizcaino even named Point of Pines, today's Point Pinos, at the entrance to Monterey Harbor.

Portola and his "Sacred Expedition", were sent northwards in 1769 to rediscover Vizcaino's "Monte Rey" and establish a settlement. But Portola and his men were not sailors, and twice marched right by Monterey, once heading north, once returning south. In fact, they stood on top of Mulligan's Hill, just south of today's Moss Landing, and surveyed horizon to horizon, without recognizing Monterey and it's Peninsula of pines.

It wasn't until a year later, on his second expedition in 1770, that Portola rediscovered Monterey once and for all. For your trivia enjoyment, why was Monterey lost to explorers for 168 years? The answer is easy and a three letter word.

In accounting we have various methods for valuing inventory. One of these methods also applies to Sled's trivia questions.

It's called "FIFO," which of course stands for "First-In, First-Out."

Fog?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    In accounting we have various methods for valuing inventory. One of these methods also applies to Sled's trivia questions. It's called "FIFO," which of course stands for "First-In, First-Out."
    I'm sorry, "FIFO" is not the correct answer to why Monterey was lost...FIFO has 4 letters. But 2 letters in "FIFO" are correct in the three letter answer. All you need is the third.....

For anyone driving to/from Monterey on Hwy 1, I recommend a short hike to the top of Mulligan Hill (elevation 60 feet) to view what Portola didn't see. Mulligan Hill is a famous landmark from seaward, and sits above the artichoke fields, just north of the mouth of the Salinas River.

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    Frog?
    Would that be a question, or answer?

FROG has 4 letters!
    FOG has 3 letters.
    One describes a weather condition.
    The other an object of WORSHIP!
    The weather condition, that has 3 letters is why Monterey can't be seen from Santa Cruz most of the year.
    I would never put a question mark after the word FROG!

Quote Originally Posted by H Spruit View Post
    The weather condition, that has 3 letters is why Monterey can't be seen from Santa Cruz most of the year. FOG.
    Holy Guacamole, H.Spruit is correct that FOG was likely the main weather event in 1769 that prevented the Portola "Sacred Expediton" from identifying the Monterey Peninsula and its "all weather port of refuge". Portola and 5 soldiers had stood on top of Mulligan Hill, 11 miles north of Monterey, to try and identify the Monterey Peninsula, but failed to see the prominent landmass hidden in the late summer fog.

Ironically, it was the coastal fog that allowed the Portola Expedition to "discover" San Francisco Bay. After missing Monterey, Portola kept tramping north up the coast, passing through what is now my hometown of Santa Cruz, before capturing a view of San Francisco Bay from the hills above.

Fog, as well as the prevailing northwesterly winds, had prevented passing ships from discovering San Francisco Bay, as the narrow Golden Gate is often shrouded in fog. Even knowing San Francisco Bay existed, Lt. Juan Ayala had a difficult time locating the Golden Gate and entering the Bay, the first to do so under sail, on August 5, 1775.

Ayala, like many modern day mariners, had not enjoyed his "Baja Bash" on his little ship SAN CARLOS. It took the SAN CARLOS 101 days to sail up the California coast to Monterey, then an additional 9 days to sail the 90 miles from Monterey to the Golden Gate.

Name:  San Carlos.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  110.8 KB

Not only was the SAN CARLOS unweatherly, and an overloaded and near wreck of a ship, but the crew was scurvy ridden. It is to Ayala's great credit for allowing the SAN CARLOS to be flushed into uncharted San Francisco Bay on a flood tide by the light of a dim moon, before dropping anchor in today's Richardson Bay, off Sausalito. Ayala was a hurting puppy, having accidentally shot himself in the foot during the long voyage of the SAN CARLOS, and never did get to enjoy the discoveries his crew made of Angel and Yerba Buena Islands, the South Bay, and the Sacramento River at the mouth of the Delta

So yes, our prevailing coastal fog played a significant part in the discovery and charting of the California Coast.

Good thing Lt. Ayala only shot himself in the foot and not elsewhere, or we may not have had picturesque Ayala Cove on beautiful Angel Island to visit.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.