Page 185 of 628 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

To better support that much lead. As they were pouring the lead (which was supposed to be about 17 tons) they realized they had a problem when they'd put 18 tons into the mold. When they dug it out they found it had split the mold. They wanted a fin keel but on a 73 footer the materials technology wasn't there yet.

For Philpott: There's boat bling and then there are rosewood winch handles. I don't spoil Rags as much as you think I do.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-08-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    To better support that much lead. As they were pouring the lead (which was supposed to be about 17 tons) they realized they had a problem when they'd put 18 tons into the mold. When they dug it out they found it had split the mold. They wanted a fin keel but on a 73 footer the materials technology wasn't there yet.
    Yep. PASSAGE was built on the beach on Grand Bahama Island. The keel mold was in a giant hole dug in the beach sand. As BobJ recounts, the bottom of the mold broke, accidentally forming a near perfect Scheel keel.
    PASSAGE has had 5 keels during her lifetime, the latest by Alan Andrews.

"Loaded 16 tons and what do you get?"
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-08-2017 at 09:33 PM.

"Another day older and deeper in debt!"

Here are half models of a couple of her keels, and a few other photos:

Name:  Passage Bilge.JPG
Views: 1355
Size:  163.7 KBName:  Passage Handles.JPG
Views: 1376
Size:  166.5 KBName:  Passage Keels.JPG
Views: 1287
Size:  68.9 KBName:  Passage whale.JPG
Views: 1580
Size:  217.2 KB

About Alberg boats.... Once upon a time I made some extra dollars teaching sailing out of Redwood City. Right next to our "school" Santana 22's was a Alberg Kittiwake 23. I always liked the looks of that boat. It's the same size as the Ensign and Electra, more or less but I think that the cabin and sheer "work" a little bit better. The Kittiwake is actually a stretched Alberg 22 design. The builder, Kenner Yachts in Texas, cut the mold for their Alberg designed 22-footer and cobbled in an extra 3-4 inches somehow, after a falling-out with the original builders, which was South Coast Boatworks. Whatever they did, it worked.

here's a Kittiwake history lesson - http://www.kittiwake23registry.com/history.htm

If I wasn't interested in getting anywhere, even vaguely close to fast, I could see myself owning one of these for messin' around the Bay. I really like the Alberg Sea Sprite 23 but there is zilch room down below for a guy my size and I have limits. The Kittiwake, however, is more reasonable white still being pretty in an Alberg sort of way..

QUIZ QUESTION:

Of the famous Pearson cruisers of the late 1960's...the Triton and her sisters, one was NOT designed by Carl Alberg. Which one, who designed it and how is it different from the others?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

PS: I think we should take up a collection and buy Dura Mater a rosewood winch handle. Mmmmm-HM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    About Alberg boats...
    QUIZ QUESTION:
    Of the famous Pearson cruisers of the late 1960's...the Triton and her sisters, one was NOT designed by Carl Alberg. Which one, who designed it and how is it different from the others?
    I don't know Alan. Pearson used a bunch of different designers other than Carl Alberg in the 60's. Bill Tripp designed the Invicta centerboard ketch in 1960, Phil Rhodes did the Rhodes-41, and John Alden the Countess 44 ketch in 1965, all built by Pearson. Bill Shaw, promoted to head designer, did a bunch of designs for Pearson too.

The Shaw designed, Pearson built, Lark 24 had a flush deck, ala Lapworth's Cal 28, in 1968. The Pearson 22, by Shaw, was almost a copy of the Santana-22 by G.Mull, complete with fin keel and spade rudder. And the Pearson 33 and 35's in the late 60's, also by Bill Shaw, had centerboards.

With this smorgasboard, I'm gonna choose the Lark 24 as the answer to your quiz. It was late 60's, full keel like Alberg's Triton, but different with the flush deck.

Name:  Lark24.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  72.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I don't know Alan. Pearson used a bunch of different designers other than Carl Alberg in the 60's. Bill Tripp designed the Invicta centerboard ketch in 1960, Phil Rhodes did the Rhodes-41, and John Alden the Countess 44 ketch in 1965, all built by Pearson. Bill Shaw, promoted to head designer, did a bunch of designs for Pearson too.

The Shaw designed, Pearson built, Lark 24 had a flush deck, ala Lapworth's Cal 28, in 1968. The Pearson 22, by Shaw, was almost a copy of the Santana-22 by G.Mull, complete with fin keel and spade rudder. And the Pearson 33 and 35's in the late 60's, also by Bill Shaw, had centerboards.

With this smorgasboard, I'm gonna choose the Lark 24 as the answer to your quiz. It was late 60's, full keel like Alberg's Triton, but different with the flush deck.

Name:  Lark24.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  72.4 KB
    That's a good point about the Invicta and the Rhodes 41. I never see these boats so I never think of them. Sheesh. The Invicta is a lovely hull, but that bubble-shaped deckhouse? I've always thought that the deckhouse looked like it was glued on as an afterthought. There was one at Petes Harobr years and years ago that I used to walk by all the time. I don't know if I've ever seen a Rhodes 41. ZING!~

The Lark was one of the two possible answers that I had in mind that folks would come up with. It's so wildly different from the Triton, Ariel, Alberg 30, Vanguard and Alberg 35 in terms of its deck that I wasn't aiming that direction. But you are absolutely right!

So what's the other Pearson boat with a trunk-type cabin from that era, that I might be thinking of? Extra caveat: one or two of the boats that I'm thinking of have raced in the SSS in the past season or two. Why is it different?

BTW, Windward Passage sure is pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I don't know if I've ever seen a Rhodes 41.

So what's the other Pearson boat with a trunk-type cabin from that era, that I might be thinking of? Extra caveat: one or two of the boats that I'm thinking of have raced in the SSS in the past season or two. Why is it different?
    You have to be quick in these parts, with Bob the J, DAZZLER, and Howard likely lurking in the woodwork for their chicken dinner. You've likely seen a Rhodes 41, same design as the legendary Bounty II. a pretty hull if there ever was one. And nearly indestructible, being dramatically overbuilt as no one fully understood at that time the strength of fiberglass compared to wood. The early Bounty II's even had fiberglas masts, until aluminum came along.

Name:  bounty_ii_yawl_photo.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  32.6 KB

The Bounty II was the first production yacht 40 feet or longer to be built of fiberglas, built by AeroMarine Plastics in Sausalito and debuting in 1956. Over 100 were built before 1961 when Pearson acquired the molds, made some modifications, and called it the Rhodes 41.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ /)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The answer to your question would be the Pearson Renegade, designed by Bill Shaw. Looks like a Triton, until you realize it has a spade rudder and turns on a dime.

Name:  Renegade1.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  11.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Sled is right. I've been holding back (lurking) on this one. I know too much about Pearson boats of the 60's. The Triton was all the rage, and they were being built along with the Bounty II (later to become the Rhodes 41) at AeroMarine Plastics, at the Foot of Spring Street, Sausalito (present-day site of Schoonmaker Marina). If you want to talk about obscure sailboats, have you ever seen an AeroMarine 24? They had a sliding dog house.

We lusted after a Triton, but settled for the little sister: Pearson Ariel. In the Spring of 1965 my father ordered an Ariel. The dealer was Howard Ellis in Tiburon. Because the boat couldn't be delivered until the Fall, Howard sold us a used Ensign with the agreement to buy it back when the Ariel was delivered. It's worth noting that Sled's shipmate of a few years later, Steve Taft, worked for Howard at that time. I remember that on a bet Steve singlehanded a Rhodes 41 down Raccoon Strait under spinnaker. There were no autopilots back then.

That Summer I sailed the Ensign just about every day all over SF Bay. It was a great boat, but it was wet and did not have a self-bailing cockpit. I remember one time my brother George and I decided to see how many bridges we could sail under in one day. Sounds a bit like the 3BF right? After sailing under the GG and Oakland Bay bridges we headed for the Richmond-San Rafael. So now what? But of course, we went north to sail under the Carquinez Bridge. I remember sailing back through San Pablo Bay in the very late afternoon; we took turns bailing. Foul weather gear was from the army surplus store and did little to keep us dry. We got back well after dark. My poor mother...

The Ariel was also a great boat and there are many others stories to tell. As for AlanH's quiz, I've never considered the Bill Shaw designs to be in the same league as the Pearson Alberg/Rhodes/Tripp/Alden boats.

Tom

P.S. Speaking of Pearson boats and the SSS, least we not forget SPARKY, (Pearson Electra) same hull as the Ensign. Ruben Gabriel and SPARKY, after being dismasted, successfully completing the 2008 SSS SHTP without outside assistance!
    Last edited by Dazzler; 01-09-2017 at 11:12 PM.