Page 186 of 630 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 6291

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler;16516.[I
    I've been holding back (lurking) on this one. If you want to talk about obscure sailboats, have you ever seen an AeroMarine 24? They had a sliding dog house.

That Summer I sailed the Ensign just about every day all over SF Bay. It was a great boat, but it was wet and did not have a self-bailing cockpit. I remember one time my brother George and I decided to see how many bridges we could sail under in one day. Sounds a bit like the 3BF right? After sailing under the GG and Oakland Bay bridges we headed for the Richmond-San Rafael. So now what? But of course, we went north to sail under the Carquinez Bridge. I remember sailing back through San Pablo Bay in the very late afternoon: we took turns bailing. Foul weather gear was from the army surplus store and did little to keep us dry. We got back well after dark. My poor mother...
    Tom
    [/I]
    Thanks, Tom, for that nugget. I doubt many boats of any size have done a 4, (or was it 5?) Bridge Fiasco on the same day.

Ah, the Aero 24 with the sliding dog house. A cockpit for 6, a cabin for 4, all on a 24 footer. Bill Tripp was known for his roomy boats, and that certainly was one.

Name:  Aero 24.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  26.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-09-2017 at 11:05 PM.

See, you learn something new every day. Yeah, Bounty's...seen a couple of those. There was a bounty that sat at the Docktown Marina for 15 years, easy, back umpty-ump years ago. It seemed HUGE to me, back then. I remember when if finally got bought. I saw the same boat, later in Alameda. But that's the only bounty I think I've ever seen.

The Renegade was in fact the boat I was thinking of. I've always thought that it looked like Bill Shaw designed a keel for an aft-hung rudder and then moved it back to make the split underbody without changing the keel at all. However, when I was considering what boat to get for my current iteration of sailing, the Renegade was a strong contender. I just wanted something rather faster than PHRF 240-something.

Sliding doghouse? whoah.

You know, I still see Tritons all over the Bay but the Ariels seem to have vanished. I remember seeing lots of them, back in the late 80's when I started sailing again after a post-teen-years hiatus.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

[QUOTE=sleddog;16515]You have to be quick in these parts, with Bob the J, DAZZLER, and Howard likely lurking in the woodwork for their chicken dinner.

We need age divisions competing for the chicken dinner.

[QUOTE=Intermission;16519]
    Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    You have to be quick in these parts, with Bob the J, DAZZLER, and Howard likely lurking in the woodwork for their chicken dinner.

We need age divisions competing for the chicken dinner.
    Roger the "Age Divisions." As an aside, with so many winners, we've run dangerously low on chicken dinners here at the Capitola Maritime Museum. TJ's Chicken Pot Pies will have to substitute for the moment. But will include homemade cranberry sauce.

Capitola Beach has disappeared into the surf. 5 vertical feet of sand, 100 yards long, has disappeared seaward, assisted by the 3rd highest tide of the year (6.7') and a southerly wind of 20 knots blowing the surface waters of Monterey Bay northward into our local cove.

What was left of the local beach was scooped up (10 loads) and loaded into a John Deere front end loader this morning and trucked to the City Hall lot for sandbags. "paying Peter to pipe Paul" or something to that effect.

Join in the local fun here: http://foxxr.com/beachcamlive/ No age discrimination.

I would recommend refraining from driving in our direction. All road arteries out of town are blocked by mudslides. The main water main pipe for Santa Cruz broke yesterday, and Santa Cruz is on rationing..

At the Santa Cruz Harbor, two patrons of the Crow's Nest had a bit too much to drink, and drove their black Mercedes down the launch ramp, possibly mistaking it for the freeway onramp They would have drowned had not a waitress on break spotted them. The driver was arrested for DUI (Driving Underwater Intoxicated.) You can't make this stuff up.

It would be a Grade B horror flick, except that is already being featured in the Nation's Capitol. Meryl Streep publicly called out as a "second rate actress" by a questionable judge of talent who should know better.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-10-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Current Grade B horror flick > greater intensity in looking at cruising boats.

I sailed a Cape Dory Typhoon (the little Alberg) a bit. Being waterline-challenged (14' LWL) they aren't fast, but are sweet to sail and pretty to look at. For typical use and pride-of-ownership I'd compare them to the Alerion Express 28's: Often regarded as little yachts and lovingly fussed over by their owners.

Regarding Cape Dories, SQUALI's dinghy was the smallest made - a Cape Dory 10 with gunter rig. I circumnavigated Government Island by getting a run at the bridge, dropping the upper section of the mast, coasting under the bridge and re-hoisting. I thought that was pretty clever until years later when they started racing around the island of Alameda with Lasers.

Rambling on, I'm bummed that I missed the New Year's Day circumnavigation of Alameda and progressive meal. I'd intended to participate this year and was even out sailing, I just forgot. I was reminded when I heard all the bridge-opening requests on Channel 9.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Bob J is correct as usual. The Cape Dory Typhoon, especially the Weekender model with its comfortable and cozy little cabin, is an enduring classic. It's handsome, nimble, affordable, trailerable, scullable, and downright pleasant to sail. If Carl Alberg were still alive, I'd like to shake his hand.

Name:  Typhoon.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  69.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.

The roller-furling is a bit much, and even more the in-mast furling on the blue Kittiwake Alan posted

But isn't that just the fairest little yacht you could imagine? Thanks for the photo, Sled.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Haha!~ I'm snickering at the in-mast furling on the Kittiwake. I never noticed that before. It's just that it's a good picture, otherwise.

I've grubbed around inside a Typhoon once, that was sitting on a trailer with the mast up. Man, that thing was *Built*. I'd love to sail one, sometime.

And in other commentary...

One of my favorite traditional small wood boats (besides mercuries) is Al Masons Ostkust, sometimes called the "American Folkboat"

Here's a whole photobucket site about an extended-cabin Ostkust. - http://s146.photobucket.com/user/bau..._5675.jpg.html
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-10-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Two things... Question. How long does Nor Cal PHRF take to get new certs out after the New Year, nowadays?

Observation. The docks at the marina at Folsom Lake are floating again. I just looked at the webcam. However, Lake Cachuma down by Santa Barbara is not looking so good. It's at 8% capacity.

http://cosb.countyofsb.org/pwd/pwwater.aspx?id=41992

I talked to Laura @YRA a few days ago. They started releasing the renewal certificates last week - I received mine on Friday. But as a new registrant, yours probably has to be blessed by the PHRF Committee, which doesn't meet until Thursday, 1/26. Laura is well aware that SSS needs the new certificates for the 3BF two days later. She's dug some kind of electronic secret tunnel between her office and Rick's and they apparently have a plan.

However, I don't see the Wildcat on this list yet. I'd check on that:
    YRA PHRF list.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-10-2017 at 05:35 PM.