Page 2 of 627 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

6/30/2011 With 15 crew, we picked the the new cat up yesterday, set her on her side, and rolled her right way up. She looks great. Much work ahead to build the cockpit, cabin, and interior. But we have momentum.

Regarding previous poster's comments, #3 and #4 are not in operation. Building a wood cat from scratch is not a fast and simple build. We've been 9 months and 1,000 hours to date, and that is not counting engineering and chasing down parts and materials.

Similarly, this cat is not intended as a single-handed competitor, nor an offshore racer. She is designed as a trailerable, nearshore, performance cruiser with a good turn of speed and load carrying capability. Upwind, the cat may sail VMG similar to a Santana 22. Reaching, hopefully will plane with a Wylie Wabbit.
    Downwind, an ALERION 28?
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-30-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Default New Boat 4 Sled

I look forward to some shots of the interior construction that will explain why the "John Hatch" is offset to one side.
    John of Blueberry

12/22/11
    Holiday Greetings, Buglighters!

A quick update from Capitola on the new cat at 2,000 hours: hulls, deck, cockpit, and cabin are complete. First coat of primer is on the deck. We cut out the cabin windows yesterday, and have started building the rudder attachment. The modified Hobie 18 rig is standing in the backyard. Hope to have her sailing this Spring.

Recent visitors have been Mark and Carla, and Syn. Syn is sewing the bunk cushion and other parts.

Best wishes to all in the New Year. And if you are in the Santa Cruz Area, come for a look see! ~sleddog (skip allan) eightthreeonefoursevenfivezerotwoseveneight
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-27-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Skip says the "little cat" is for cruising but I'm not buying it. I see that finely-burnished shark white Micron on the bottom (bottoms?) and that specially-designed dousing hatch for the gollywobbler. The next photo will show the dual satellite domes on the transoms and USAF-wind tunnel tested six element wing sail.

Good work Skip, and a Happy Christmas to you!

Sunny New Year's Day saw Jonathan and Christine pedaling into town for a visit. Avid supporters of SSS, Jonathan and Christine also edit the online sailing venue NorCal Sailing. It was fun to see them, and their ground level tour of the new cat resulted in a fun article and nice photos at http://www.norcalsailing.com/

The non-skid, using Interlux Brightside Seattle Grey and finely ground walnut shells (it's a wood boat ) turned out agreeably well. As neither a roller or brush gave a satisfactory surface, I used the daubing technique to good effect. Anyone interested is welcome to query as to the formula and technique.

Thanks also to RAGTIME for "outing" the new cat as a racer in sheep's wool. Only time will tell if Bob is correct and this is an AC-22 in disguise we are building. Meanwhile, Morgan Larson's donated Moore 24 spinny looks excitingly big on our cat's recycled Hobie 18 rig, currently stepped on the backyard deck with shrouds led to concrete flower planters. Howard likes to remind me that the new cat will weigh only half of what a Moore 24 weighs. ~Yiiii doggies.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Only in Santa Cruz do you get past-SHTP champions planing around on home-built catamarans with Hobie 18 rigs and Moore 24 kites. Reminds me how much I love Santa Cruz!

Keep up the good work Skip. Your new boat looks great, and really inspires a desire to build a boat. Do you need any running rigging?

Best

Ronnie

Now, that just looks grand....and a DOUBLE BED..... Oy, ve!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

1/20/12

This week has seen the kick-up rudder, tiller, traveler, anchor rollers, and jib leads positioned and mounted. The companion way hatches and tracks are being secured. The rotating mast step and chain plates are engineered and built, and soon to be affixed. Mast step allows either forward (low bridges) or aft (trailering) lowering. The current MVP is the Makita cordless drill. Just learned there is a difference between Reed & Prince and Phillips screw heads!

Synbad was here yesterday, with more good suggestions for canvas details. Synthia knows her stuff and I commend her professionalism to all who require anything in the sailmaking and canvas department.

Our new boat would not be happening without wonderful support and gear donations from friends. John: your stern pulpit, bisected, fits perfectly and lends excellent safety to the cockpit. RAGTIME's recycled deck gear is recognizable to the discerning...Ronnie: thanks for the offer and I will get back to you.

There are still gaps to be filled, and the Wish List remains at 2 pages. But there is little to prevent our boat from taking the Bay, hopefully in March. I can't offer much in return except a sail on our new cat. But if your garage or locker holds a winch handle, boat hook, fenders in the 16" range, or an anchor under 14 pounds, they would find good use aboard. A solar panel and tiller pilot may have to wait...

Hope to see our SSS friends and fleet soon. For any contemplating SHTP '12, I'd be glad to donate a couple of hours of consultation to you. But you will probably have to come to Capitola to pick my brain. Onward. ~sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-20-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    10/28/10
    Bug Lighters,

Greetings from Capitola. Well Done, Bill, on your exceptional service to SSS. And welcome aboard Commodore Max!

We anxiously await the launching of “Wisdom,” Alan H.'s new skerry. His PHRF just came in, and with a rating of 426, we are all in trouble. Meanwhile, I can't let Alan have all the fun playing in sawdust and glue. Read on:

Most of you know a little over two years ago I abandoned and scuttled WILDFLOWER returning from Hanalei. At the time, shoreside family responsibilities were paramount. To risk going missing, or becoming object of a dangerous and expensive rescue weighed heavily on my ultimate decision.

Many of you have asked when I'd be getting a new boat. WILDFLOWER was my home, office, calling card, and magic carpet for 34 years since I built her in Alameda. She is irreplaceable.

As a result of WILDFLOWER being uninsurable, I was set back on my sea boots. I walked docks, visited boatyards, perused ads, and trialed beckoning designs. I was determined not to rush into something. But my goal was clear: to get back afloat where my passion and skill could be returned into play.

A month ago a serendipitous event presented itself. I drove to Port Townsend for the annual Wooden Boat Festival where a small cruising catamaran called an ECO cat (for "ECOnomy") caught my eye.

Then shortly after returning home to Santa Cruz, I ran into an old friend, Howard Spruit, one of the original Santa Cruz surfers, ultralight designers and boat builders. I told Howard what I had seen. His response floored me. "We can build one of those. Let's do it!"

If there are three things you want for a boat building project, experience, enthusiasm, and a flush bank account top the list. I had two out of three. I couldn't afford to build a new boat. I couldn't afford not to.

Sometimes one has to go with the tide. Though I have minimal experience with catamarans and my learning curve is steep, we are beginning construction on cruising cat here in the garage. Mom, watching from her Sunroom, is not sure what to think. The termites in the garage rafters are dropping cellulose filler into the glue on command.

The boat, as yet unnamed, will be 22' LOA with road legal 8'6" of beam, and 1100 pounds of displacement, trailerable behind my mini-van. A single daggerboard, kickup C/L rudder, a Hoyt jib boom, a cozy cabin. Power will be a Hobie 18 sailing rig using second hand beachcat equipment. No wing mast, Larry. A 5 horse outboard will push the boat in calm conditions. Construction is Meranti marine plywood and West System epoxy glue. Destinations will be near shore cruises from the Channel Islands to the Pacific NW, the Delta, Lake Tahoe, possibly Alaska. Anywhere accessible by road and launch ramp.

Attached is a perspective drawing. I value suggestions, questions, and participation.

If you'd like to donate time, we have glue to spread. If you have gear sitting in the backyard or locker, we are looking for a trailer, anchor, sails, boom, tiller extension, outboard, etc. Or, if you just want to send a couple of bucks, that would help navigate us over some thin financial waters.

I can't promise much in return but photo updates and participation in an exciting project.

Stay tuned. Go Giants!

~skip allan aka sleddog
    310 McCormick Ave.
    Capitola, CA 95010
    ph. 831-475-0278
    e-mail: skipallan (at) sbcglobal.net

I have a full Hobie 16 you can have, trailer and all.

Boat is in San Jose. The only thing it needs is to fill the tires with air "if they still hold air"

Rig / hulls / rudder / sail's are in good shape. Trampoline is in poor shape, needs work. Currently it's not registered, but could be.

This boat has taken a back seat to the other boat "cinnabar"

Rich---

Hi Rich,
    Thanks for your generous offer. But no room in the driveway for another boat! Many Hobie 16 parts on this new cat already.

Fond memories of Tree Time with you channeling SHTP radio check-ins from a wire led out the boot of your bumblebee rent-a-car tossed over a branch of an adjacent ironwood tree. Good times. Come visit. ~skip
    Attached Images Attached Images