Page 204 of 628 FirstFirst ... 104154194200201202203204205206207208214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

The Artic Tern is another "largish" double-ender dayboat or camp cruiser..

http://people.duke.edu/~gmtencer/tern.html

Artic Tern can also be rigged as a lug yawl....Skips friends boat is rigged this way, or it can be set up as a gunter sloop.

Artic Tern, at about 18 feet is a bit smaller than the Caledonia Yawl at 20 feet, and weighs rather less. It's still large enough for two, but not so heavy as to be completely miserable to row. The "evolution" of all these open yawls, is....more or less.... the Sooty Tern. Now, "evolution" of these designs is kind of debatable, as the workboats on which they are based have been in existence for nearly a thousand years. They are not far removed for the Viking faerings. Nonethless, here's a Sooty Tern. I believe the Sooty Tern came about through correspondence between James McMullen and Ian. James had built several of Ians designs and had some thoughts about changes he wanted to see. Basically, he wanted permission to pen some modifications. Ian consented, there was correspondence. Drawings went back and forth, and in the end.....Sooty Tern.

This is Jame's Sooty Tern, "Rowan"....the boat that really set the hook in me on the whole concept of small, double-ended boats for sailing, rowing and camp cruising. James and I have butted heads pretty hard on the Wooden Boat Forum, but I gladly acknowledge his supreme skill as a boatbuilder, and how his interaction with Ian has produced an absolutely lovely design.

I hope you've enjoyed our sail through the designs of Ian Oughtred, one of Scotlands best-known small boat designers.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I received a letter yesterday from our county sanitation district saying they were discontinuing their low water use discount, and increasing low water users' bills $11/month.

The letter didn't explain fully the reasons for the removal of this discount. But after talking with sanitation engineers this morning, I learned the real reasons. It seems every time a toilet is flushed, its contents have to be pumped miles underground to the county waste water treatment plant, where chemicals and aeration are added before again pumping, this time a quarter mile out to sea.

The problem with customers cutting down on their water use is "solids get plugged in the sewer pipes, costing the sanitation district time and money." The sanitation engineers admitted they need more water use, not less!

The same is true for the local water district, they who pump us fresh water from the local aquifer. For years, during our drought they have encouraged conservation, even mentioning me as "low water user of the month" in their newsletter. Customers have reduced water consumption dramatically, so much so that the local water district is running low on funds, and had to steeply increase their rates. Again, the more water you use, the better for them. Just not for the depleted aquifer, where saltwater is intruding inland into the wells.

"Out of sight (underground), out of mind." I thought I had it figured out: having lived on a boat for much of 33 years, conserving water, as well as electricity, is ingrained. Move ashore, and things might be different.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-24-2017 at 09:56 AM.

I always believed that every sink in a house should be equipped with Whale type foot pumps instead of pressurized faucets that are usually left on. That alone would save a lot of water.

Default Iain Oughtred's boats

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    The Artic Tern is another "largish" double-ender dayboat or camp cruiser..

<snip>

I hope you've enjoyed our sail through the designs of Ian Oughtred, one of Scotlands best-known small boat designers.
    Thanks, Alan (and Sleddog) for the fine tour of some of Iain's designs. We are delighted that the appearance of WEE BONNIE sparked this portion of the thread.

Sooty sailors, Craig and Vicky

Since you have gotten me onto the subject of Scottish boat designers, let us not forget Nigel Irons.

Here is Nigels website - http://www.nigelirens.com/

Most of us know of Nigel because of some of his performance trimarans.

and also, most likely because of his "Gunboat" designs.

However, while I enjoy watching ORMA trimarans tear across the water, just like anybody else, the Nigel Irons design that I like the most is actually Romilly, and her slightly older, big sister Roxane.

Note the extremely high-aspect lug rig, combined with a little dinky mizzen for balance.

You can read about the original design "Roxane" and her smaller sister, "Romilly" here... http://www.roxane-romilly.co.uk/

...and here - http://www.classicboat.co.uk/buying-...nigel-irens-2/

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Thanks, Alan (and Sleddog) for the fine tour of some of Iain's designs. We are delighted that the appearance of WEE BONNIE sparked this portion of the thread.
    Sooty sailors, Craig and Vicky
    WEE BONNIE is not the only love of Craig and Vicky's life. Meet Chula, who in the photo below, looks to be in "plug and play" mode.Name:  Chula.JPG
Views: 2827
Size:  745.7 KB

I was once witness to a COB. It was amazing to watch the cat walk on water, barely getting wet, before being hauled to safety with a look of "that didn't really happen."

I could go on at length about Scottish racing sailboat designers and yards based on the Clyde, back in the 1920's through 1940's but I'll spare you.

What I WILL do is go backto Ian Oughtred again, for one particularly, incredibly cool project he did. OK, everybody knows about viking longboats. What folks don't think about much are the Viking knarrs....yes, that's where the Class's name comes from. While the Longships were meant to take people the knarrs were merchant ships, designed to carry animals, lumber, grain and so on.

Well, in the Highlands of Scotland, along the north coast, the Longships were observed and a variation on the longship developed. The big, big change here, was that the Highland scots invented a new thing. It was kind of revolutionary.

--> The rudder.

Before that invention, all ships were steered with steering oars. Well, we all know what a royal paint THAT is. The style of ship that was developed was called a birlinn. There are stone carvings of ancient birlinns, but none have survived to this day.

Here is a sixteenth century (1500's, roughly Henry VIII's time) of a birlinn, clearly showing the rudder.

here's an EIGHTH CENTURY carving of a birlinn, on a tombstone again clearly showing the rudder...also the forestay and typing square-rigger yard rigging.

I, personally in a visit to Scotland in 2014, have seen thirteen to fifteenth century gravestones much like these. The sword motif is common, so are the intertwined roses. However, the birlinns are not.... but the fact that a birlinn shows up, prominantly on a gravestone of that age indicates how common, but yet important they were.

Well, Ian Oughtred drew up a lovely skiff for a group called the Gal Gael. Gal Gael is a foundation in Glasgow which aims to take drug addicted, alcohol addicted, and generally troubled Glaswegians, and teach them a trade. Much of the traditional industry of Glasgow is gone and that City has a pretty seedy and violent underbelly. Gal Gael aims to help with that though, primarily woodworking skills, but also other skills. Here's GalGael - http://www.galgael.org/

. Well, what Ian designed was the Saint Ayles Skiff, which is a pretty sophisticated, multi-plank boat.

After the enormous Saint Ayles skiff success, there are upwards of 40 of them, now, and rowing clubs all over Scotland use them... Ian took on the project of designing a birlinn.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-24-2017 at 03:15 PM.

The end result of Ian's work, plus hundred of hours of work by Gal Gael volunteers and interns, was Orcuan.

It's hard to describe the cultural impact of the building of Orcuan. The closest comparison would be how the building of some modern voyaging canoes has ignited a pride in Polynesian and Micronesian cultures which had been missing for generations. There are now a couple more birlinns sailing around Scotland.

Aileach

Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    This is Jame's Sooty Tern, "Rowan"....the boat that really set the hook in me on the whole concept of small, double-ended boats for sailing, rowing and camp cruising. James and I have butted heads pretty hard on the Wooden Boat Forum, but I gladly acknowledge his supreme skill as a boatbuilder, and how his interaction with Ian has produced an absolutely lovely design.

Thanks, Alan, for the tour! We would be remiss not to mention James on ROWAN tows a beer dinghy. Name:  IMGP0013.JPG
Views: 2734
Size:  236.4 KB

Name:  IMGP0002 (4).JPG
Views: 2969
Size:  221.8 KB
    Shortly before I took the second photo, Jame's beer dinghy came adrift just outside Port Hudson and was about to be smashed to bits by the onshore wind and shorebreak on the shingle beach. James smartly jibed ROWAN, sailed within feet of shore, backed his mizzen to turn head to wind, and rescued the wayward beer dinghy. Off they went, happily ever laughter.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-27-2017 at 08:29 PM.

I think James is living in Singapore, now. This may be a temporary development, not sure.