Page 208 of 628 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    In support of peaceful interaction with all animals, Howard wore his red pussyhat to Coffee Club
    Why didn't the local news team cover Howard wearing his hat?

Those that have followed this thread since 2008 know I'm a sucker for attempting to solve maritime mysteries. We've tracked down what became of RELIANCE's 212 foot hollow steel mast (became the flagpole for the original Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team,) what happened to Bogie's model of SANTANA that was his wedding present from Lauren Bacall, and what became of the first Herreshoff catamaran on San Francisco Bay.

A new mystery has arisen its head. I call it the "Tale of the Boat with the Dragon Tiller."

Kaci Cronkhite of Port Townsend, WA, has written a wonderful book about finding the history of her 28 foot Spidsgatter double ended sloop PAX, built in Norway in 1936. Part love story, part quest, an adventure, and intriguing mystery, "FINDING PAX, The Unexpected Journey of a Little Wooden Boat" is a good read and nice insight into the author's determination in reconstructing the fascinating history of her boat.

Name:  PAX2.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  112.5 KB

As a kid, I remember seeing PAX, then named FIRECREST, near San Pedro. Rather, what caught my attention was the carved dragon tiller extending forward from the sweet stern and outboard rudder.

Kaci now knows the history of PAX from 1936-1962, and from 1973 to the present, Including PAX being heavily damaged by fire, two reconstructions, and the disappearance of the dragon tiller. What remains a mystery are PAX's 11 years in Southern California, berthed at now defunct Colonial Yacht Anchorage, in San Pedro.

As I write, Kaci is pounding the docks of San Pedro, continuing to seek the missing 11 years of her little sloop. On May 10, at 6:30 pm, Kaci Cronkhite is coming to Sausalito's Spaulding Center to tell the story of Finding PAX and her special connection to Sausalito. I commend Kaci's story to you.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/spauldi...ts-33901975722

And the Dragon Tiller is out there somewhere.

Name:  PAX3.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  115.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-30-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Only in Santa Cruz. After the initial 3 races in the Moore 24 Pacific Coast Championships, sailmaker Dave Hodges opened his nearby Ullman Sails loft to the fleet for a post-race gathering...

Several years ago Dave got a good deal on a baseball batting cage and pitching machine. The whole thing was set up in the sail loft and takes up almost the entire floor with the mesh netting cage. After work, Dave would set up the batting cage and son Robert's Little League team would show up for batting practice..Pretty soon, Dave was the baseball coach.

Last evening the Moore-24 fleet showed up for some entertainment at Dave's loft. The pitching machine would wind up, and the ball would be smacked to rousing applause. The pitching machine could deliver different speed and spin on the ball to the batter.

The pitching machine only went rogue once, delivering a wild fastball that went through the drywall. Never a dull moment in the Moore-24 fleet.

While Jackie was high in Berkeley, we went high in the Sierra, on a shakedown of A's new, used, camp trailer RUBY. Yosemite was the goal, and Oh Boy, were the waterfalls in full cry. The thunder of Yosemite Falls could be heard across the Valley.

RUBY, fresh from a makeover by Howard and myself, is only 14'9" LOA, Beam 6'10" and DISP of 1,900 pounds. RUBY's cabin has a dinette, enclosed toilet and shower, galley, fridge that makes ice, and bunk with "garage" under. We parked in a lupin fringed meadow on CHAUTAUQUA's land (thanks, Cris!), just uphill from Big Creek, where dozens of frogs chorused their mating croaks each evening. Overhead, a spotted owl barked in appreciation, and quail ran for cover.

Name:  Bridalveil11.JPG
Views: 935
Size:  375.7 KB

Highway 140 into Yosemite had just re-opened from extended repairs, and we descended from Crane Flat, passed frothy Cascade Creek and came into view of Bridalveil Falls ahead. I've never seen so much water coming over Bridalveil, and by luck of timing, the sun was rising in the notch to the left of Leaning Tower.

Name:  Bridalveil6.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  655.3 KB

After hiking as close as we could to the base of Bridalveil, we retreated before becoming completely soaked in snowmelt. Fortunately it was a warm, sunny, day, 80 degrees. We passed Lower Cathedral Spire (5.6), site of my first Yosemite rockclimb, back in the pre-chalk days when I climbed in bare feet, using 3 strand Goldline for belay.

Name:  Cathedral Spires.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  316.1 KB

We hiked across the meadow and Sentinel Bridge over the near-flood-stage Merced to visit the base of Yosemite Falls. Picnicked on the shores of usually placid Mirror Lake, which was now white water rapids. Entertainment was provided by a pair of mallards using back eddies to play in Tenaya Creek.

Name:  Bridalveil10.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  455.0 KB

It looked like it had recently snowed in many parts of the Valley. But was actually Dogwood trees in bloom.
    Name:  Bridalveil 13.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  34.1 KB

All in all, a good mountain ramble to shakedown not only RUBY the camp/trailer, but also my repaired Achilles tendon.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-09-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Wow, the falls are HEEE_UGE.

I've been tempted to make a slightly oversized teardrop trailer for some time now. Instead, I spent about $90 on a preposterously large Coleman tent, and Joan agreed to a pair of air mattress-memory foam sleeping pads which are actually more comfortable than our bed. For a couple of backpackers, that plus a one-burner butane stove on the picnic table is quite luxurious.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Kaci Cronkhite of Port Townsend, WA, has written a wonderful book about finding the history of her 28 foot Spidsgatter double ended sloop PAX, built in Norway in 1936. On May 10, at 6:30 pm, Kaci Cronkhite is coming to Sausalito's Spaulding Center to tell the story of Finding PAX and her special connection to Sausalito.
    Well, I sailed DM over to Sausalito yesterday, in a heavy flood and high wind, which was uncomfortable. I actually got wet.

Good thing I called ahead for the coordinates of Clipper Yacht Harbor, because its fuel dock was hidden by huge fancy boats inviting us to smack into them. Thank goodness for my Engine By Dave! When I walked up to the harbor master's office I was assigned a slip far far away in a Basin Called Three. That meant I had to leave the fuel dock and go BACK out into that wind, which was howling in a particularly intimidating way. I whinged a little (that's what whining is called in Britain. It sounds better, I think) and asked for a closer slip. What I meant was that I didn't want to motor by all those fancy boats again, but the harbormaster just pointed to the door.

DM and I were scared but brave and eventually found our way to our slip down the dock from Sweet Pea, who is also registered for our upcoming Farallones race. The wind almost pushed DM on her side in the slip (no exaggeration, she was leaning over), and I almost fell off the dock, but WE PREVAILED. Drank some hot tea, ate some chocolate, and then I made my way up to the Spaulding Boatworks, where Kaci gave her talk.

What a great place! And if you like to read sailing books, go here! Somebody has organized the library in a very impressive way. I saw Tom Patterson (he of the famous painting) and Sue. As I left, Tom was surrounded by people, a glass of some red wine from Beaulieu Vineyards and Sue was looking over the used sailing books. Here are some photos. People love their wooden boats.

Here is a photo of Alana, who works at Spaulding and lives on a 28' Pearson Trident. She's looking for an inexpensive Cal 20 so she can learn how to singlehand.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-11-2017 at 05:18 PM.

An amazing place indeed. Wish I lived close enough to do "night school" there.
    I have, however, attended some of the Saturday morning workshops/seminars over the last year and highly recommend them. Learned a few fiberglass tricks straight from the skipper of the legendary "yellow boat" himself (Gordie Nash). That was cool! But I didn't sail there. That's really doing it right. Next time.

Cool. What is the red hull?

Looks like an Int'l Canoe (IC).

I don't want to mess up your "hocking my boat" thread so I'll put this here:

Name:  starbuckcat.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  46.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Cool. What is the red hull?
    yes, of course you notice the red boat. Because, I suppose, your own Famous Red Boat is for sale @ a mere $14,000 elsewhere on this forum. A great deal for anyone interested in participating in the 2018 Singlehanded Transpac ... but I digress (sorry, Skip). The red hull is a boat being built for BAADS - the Bay Area Association of Disabled Sailors, which sails out of South Beach Harbor, at Pier 40 in the City. Spaulding is particularly sensitive to access issues. Its library and workshop are both upstairs via a brand new very sturdy staircase, alongside of which is a brand new, stainless steel lift. So if you or someone you love uses a wheelchair, you are particularly welcome at Spaulding.