Page 221 of 628 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Kelp, most plentiful and a haven for sea otters in Monterey Bay, make for interesting aeriel photos during the Jack O'Neill Memorial Paddle Out. In the below photo, kelp resembles dozens of tentacled sea monsters with an Hawaiian canoe gliding above.

Name:  O'NeillA.JPG
Views: 999
Size:  1.21 MB

Name:  O'NeillB.JPG
Views: 939
Size:  979.8 KB

And here, kelp resembles large crabs surrounding Jack O'Neill's Murray Peterson designed "Coaster" schooner MARIE CELINE. MARIE CELINE was anchored bow and stern at the center of the Paddleout circle last Sunday.

Name:  O'NeillC.JPG
Views: 995
Size:  773.5 KB (Photos by Boots Photography)
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.

The most unusual rescue of the week, an "EOB," took place recently 10 miles off the shore of Sri Lanka. There, an elephant trunk was seen snorkling on the surface, while the owner of the trunk, an Asian Elephant, was swimming below, obviously disoriented as to the direction of land.

Name:  elephant.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  109.7 KB

In lieu of a really big life preserver, I'm not sure what knot one would use to secure an elephant to tow safely back to land. But the good deed was done by the Sri Lankan Navy and the pachyderm was released in the forest, reportedly none the worse for wear.

Bravo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fopr54YR1iE
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-16-2017 at 11:04 PM.

A whisker pole for winging out the jib downwind is a good look, and assists self steering by balancing the sail area to each side of the rig. Unfortunately for our singlehanded friend Christian, currently on Day 18 of passage from Marina Del Rey, to Ko-Olina, Oahu, his Forespar telescoping whisker pole failed only 7 days afting setting out, putting the boat out of balance, upsetting the function of his wind-vane. Unable to sail dead downwind without the whisker pole, Christian is having to sail many more miles than necessary.

Name:  Forespar.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  8.5 KB

The failure in Christian's whisker pole was the outhaul adjuster line, which broke internally, leaving the pole unable to be extended. There is a simple remedy to this potential problem, one we used on WILDFLOWER: drill a 1/4" hole spaced about 1 foot apart through the whisker pole inner tube. And one hole through the outer tube. The inner tubing should have about 4-5 holes to allow for different lengths of extension.

Then fit a 1/4" bolt through the holes in the pole to fix the length at any length desired, forgetting the outhaul adjustment line, which I have seen fail all too on this patented and expensive pole. >$1,200

To save time, I put marks on the outer tube to help guide the bolt through the inner tube.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-18-2017 at 08:26 AM.

I'm not a fan. I have a 10-18 w/UXP (pistons) on both ends hanging up in my garage, if someone needs one. I replaced it with a fixed carbon pole that I can end-for-end:

Name:  Whisker Pole.JPG
Views: 862
Size:  1.96 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-18-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm not a fan. I have a 10-18 w/UXP (pistons) on both ends hanging up in my garage, if someone needs one. I replaced it with a fixed carbon pole that I can end-for-end:
    The best fixed length whisker poles are longer (~10%) than "J." (And therefore cannot double as a spinnaker pole unless rated for a penalty pole)...What is your carbon whisker pole's length, "J" or longer?

I once was involved "coaching" the new owner of red Mull 30 who was set on doing the SHTP. The designer had figured the best way to get inexperience downwind was with twin, 155% jibs wung out on matching 23' aluminum whisker-poles. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw those sitting on deck......
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-18-2017 at 11:52 AM.

I love the kelp photos from the air....

In other news...

The little Scottish Loch Long One Design that was in New Jersey, turns out to be in lower New York. It's also one of the "prizes" in a difficult divorce. The wife won it, but knows absolutely nothing about boats except that her ex wanted it so he can't have it. The deck is off, the deck beams supported, som what wobbily by some scrap lumber. About 1/3 rd of the frames forward of the cockpit are broken. The ballast keel..well, the male "owner" said it was in another building, but the contact I have from the Wooden Boat forum didn't actually see it. So maybe it's there and maybe it isn't. The get-together apparently disintigrated into a bitch row between husband and wife and there wasn't time to ask. There's rot in the sheer clamp and maybe the top plank. For being out of the water for 10+ years, maybe 15, there's minimal separation between planks, and only one actual splined plank repair.

I think this is a "no, thank you". Maybe if it was down the street I would dare, but to drop two grand to get it here and maybe without a ballast keel....hope. NOPE. Pity.

The Class secretary appreciates my diligence in chasing the boat down, and I have an invitation to "Loch Long Week" next summer, if I'm able to go. It's been done before, someone flies over and charters a boat for the race week. THAT would be fun.
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-18-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    The best fixed length whisker poles are longer (~10%) than "J." (And therefore cannot double as a spinnaker pole unless rated for a penalty pole)...What is your carbon whisker pole's length, "J" or longer?

I once was involved "coaching" the new owner of red Mull 30 who was set on doing the SHTP. The designer had figured the best way to get inexperience downwind was with twin, 155% jibs wung out on matching 23' aluminum whisker-poles. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw those sitting on deck......
    "J" on Rags is 11.5' and that pole is 14.5' It works well for winging out the #2 or her jib top, but I actually bought it for squaring back the tack of the asymmetric spinnakers. When setting up for this, I limit the sprit to a 3.0' extension and the pole clips right into the tack line. It works well but is a bit too much spaghetti for inside the Bay, especially when you need to gybe.

Like the Mull 30 owner, I also experimented with two long whisker poles for racing to Hawaii. They were 10-18 extendable poles and I used them with two 155's, raised together in the twin grooves of the furler. The boat is 30' long and that setup spread a rig almost 36' wide. As written elsewhere, I snapped one of the poles before long (by trying to put a downhaul on it). Besides, a spinnaker was still faster. There are photos somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

Like the Mull 30 owner, I also experimented with two long whisker poles for racing to Hawaii. They were 10-18 extendable poles and I used them with two 155's, raised together in the twin grooves of the furler. The boat is 30' long and that setup spread a rig almost 36' wide. As written elsewhere, I snapped one of the poles before long (by trying to put a downhaul on it). Besides, a spinnaker was still faster. There are photos somewhere.
    Are the twins more stable than a spinnaker? Or does it depend on the boat?

The short answer is yes.

Here's a better answer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Are the twins more stable than a spinnaker? Or does it depend on the boat?
    A book could be written on this subject.

Dedicated twin jibs of light weight spinnaker cloth (.75 oz - 1.5 oz.) are as stable as a spinnaker. Heavier and flatter wung out jibs, like a #2, cause increased side to side rolling. In any case, when running DDW with twins, no matter what the brand of autopilot or self steering, the boat will likely yaw 15-20 degrees either side of course. But with the main furled, there is no worry of an accidental jibe.

Twins are arguably better for displacement boats with roller furling compared with lighter designs that pick up significant speed under spinnaker when sailing on a broad reach (AWA 130-160). Unless your AP is really good, you're gonna have to hand steer and tend the sheet with a spinnaker for long hours. Not so with twins.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.