Page 222 of 628 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

The Eastern North Pacific is alive with 3 "tropicals." and a fourth developing.

Name:  EPAC.png
Views: 1066
Size:  188.7 KB

TS Fernanda is weakening and will pass north of the Hawaiian chain early next week, possibly providing favorable winds for returning Transpac boats. TD Eight-E is not moving much of anywhere and should not increase to much beyond a TD before dissipation. Further East, TS Greg will become a hurricane as it tracks NW. East of Greg, an as yet unnamed formation has a 70% chance of developing into a tropical.

Sailing from the South Pacific (French Polynesia) to Hawaii, or vice-versa, during the months July-Sept. always takes a chance when crossing "Hurricane Alley" between 12S - 20S latitude.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    A book could be written on this subject.

Dedicated twin jibs of light weight spinnaker cloth (.75 oz - 1.5 oz.) are as stable as a spinnaker. Heavier and flatter wung out jibs, like a #2, cause increased side to side rolling. In any case, when running DDW with twins, no matter what the brand of autopilot or self steering, the boat will likely yaw 15-20 degrees either side of course. But with the main furled, there is no worry of an accidental jibe.

Twins are arguably better for displacement boats with roller furling compared with lighter designs that pick up significant speed under spinnaker when sailing on a broad reach (AWA 130-160). Unless your AP is really good, you're gonna have to hand steer and tend the sheet with a spinnaker for long hours. Not so with twins.
    Back in the day....

Doug Graham on Big Dot, his Yankee Dolphin 24, did a SHTP in 1996 with no spinnaker and flew twins, instead. Note that he won his division and corrected out 2nd overall if I remember rightly. I remember watching Big Dot coming down the estuary flying twins, in dead last place during a race many years ago....but he was moving.

You can read about Doug and Big Dot on the Dolphin 24 website - http://www.dolphin24.org/stories_big_dot.html

If you watch this old Kite-Cam video from SSS'er and 2x SHTP vet, Chris Humann, you'll see his boat, a Dana 24 under dedicated, custom-made twins, with the mainsail down in mid-Pacific.

I think the success of twins depends somewhat on the nature of the boat.
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

DURA MATER (Jackie P.) has the interesting ability to apparently occupy multiple locations simultaneously. There she is aboard her Cal-2-27 DURA MATER, melting her flip-flops in the Delta.

While at the same time she is drying out a flooded bathroom in Monterey when the unoccupied apartment overhead suffered a broken watermain.

And I know for sure, because I was there, that yesterday DURA MATER temporarily crossed over to the "Dark Side" when we sailed WILDFLOWER, my 22' Frog Cat, out to the windline a mile south of Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, tacked, and accelerated in the quickly building breeze as we bore off at 9 knots on starboard tack in the general direction of Monterey. Says she, "we could sail to Monterey and take the bus back..."

Name:  Jackie.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  518.0 KB

Jackie, a sailor's sailor, reminded me that she likes to dock under sail, sans engine, and that we would be doing that, would we not?.... Now WILDFLOWER's Santa Cruz slip is the innermost on N dock, with a dead-end of sharp riprap preventing turnaround in case of misjudgement

Not to worry: Jackie and I sailed in, furled the jib as we made the final turn, and stuck the landing as if it was common practice, which it is not.

Also in Santa Cruz, and no less hard core, is Nathalie, fresh from her courageous first attempt at the highly competitive La Solitaire URGO Le Figaro in France. Huge kudos to Nathalie for being awarded the 1000 Euro Prize for winning the "Fighting Spirit Trophy."

Nathalie is not one to rest or let her small boat skills rust, and is racing this weekend as crew on the wire of a Hobie 16 off Santa Cruz.

Name:  Nathalie.JPG
Views: 1070
Size:  637.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-22-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Yesterday evening on Cannery Row, the water main broke outside Sly McFly's and flooded the street. We were told we could not eat or use the bathroom but we could have drinks. (Margaritas were selected.) So apparently this busted water main thing was catching in Monterey.

And tonight is the big Chili Cookoff at Owl Harbor, "up the Delta." I wonder if our roving sailor will make it back in time. We thought about her invitation but decided chili didn't sound appealing on such a hot evening, so we went home instead.

SUBMARINO wrote (on another thread): I looked through the SHTP 1980 archive and found Hal Holbrook's name and boat Yankee Tar. Searched the web and it seems to be the actor. Skip or any others please fill us in on some detail here.

Indeed, noted actor Hal Holbrook entered his Garden design, Gulf 40, YANKEE TAR in the 1980 Singlehanded Transpac.
    Not sure of the details of his passage, but he arrived after the deadline and his time was not recorded. After cruising YANKEE TAR to the S. Pacific, Holbrook went on to a highly successful career in acting, and is well known for recreating Mark Twain. He remains an active thespian to this day.

Name:  holbrook.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  4.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-22-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    And tonight is the big Chili Cookoff at Owl Harbor, "up the Delta."
    Apparently people felt it was too hot to cook chili at Owl Harbor so that was cancelled. Go figure. "Maybe in the winter", said Devery Stockton, proprietor.

Default Fun times in Monterey / Santa Cruz

Whoa! Floods, water main breaks, sailing on WILDFLOWER! Sounds like I missed all the fun. I made a round trip to Carmel / Monterey on Friday, had lunch in Monterey around 1:30, and visited Backscatter on Cannery Row before making the 3 hour drive home. Too much driving for one day.

Tom

Asymmetry onboard often creates more benefits than detriments. For example, we know an asymmetrical spinnaker shaped like an airfoil is clearly faster on a reach than the older style symmetrical spinnaker that performs more like a parachute, healing the boat and producing drag.

I recently learned from Stan Honey that asymmetry on the COMANCHE's daggerboards allow the hundred footer to crab to windward rather than making leeway when closehauled. That would be a cool effect when you want to pinch off a rival just to windward!

There's another way to use asymmetry I first saw on my brother's Snipe, a 15 foot international class. With the Snipe's headstay aft of the bow, my brother rigged an athwartships traveler track and slide so he could pull the headstay 8" to either side of centerline, either to windward or leeward. Presto, you need to point 5 degrees higher? Just ease the headstay (jib luff) to leeward and Bob's your uncle.

Like many inventions of my sailmaker brother, I believe that headstay traveler was soon outlawed, as was the biodegradable soap he could pump from a hundred little tubes in the bottom of the boat, and the mast, stepped on a trailer hitch, that could be canted to windward.

But if you are not a race boat constrained by rules makers, all sorts of cool inventions can be brought into play. In Australia, as well as on WILDFLOWER here in Santa Cruz, check out the headstay travelers used on many of the Jar Cats. Traveler up if you want to reach downwind, traveler down if you want to reach to windward. (WILDFLOWER uses a lighter weight Spectra bridle conjoining the bows for the tack of her largish, loose-luffed, light air jib.

Name:  idea_foredeck179.JPG
Views: 854
Size:  3.03 MB

Name:  idea_foredeck180.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  2.69 MB

Name:  idea_foredeck182.JPG
Views: 914
Size:  2.54 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-25-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Name:  Clinker2.JPG
Size:  16.6 KB

OK, Troops, here's your history trivia for the week. What is the name of, and what is the story of this 80 year old, 15 foot dinghy lovingly preserved for posterity? No, it's not Shackleton's JAMES CAIRD. But this clinker hulled dinghy, built as an all season fishing boat, played a rescue role of great heroism just as significant in British history as the JAMES CAIRD. Keep Calm and Carry On.

Name:  Clinker.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  19.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-25-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  Clinker2.JPG
Size:  16.6 KB

OK, Troops, here's your history trivia for the week. What is the name of, and what is the story of this 80 year old, 15 foot dinghy lovingly preserved for posterity? No, it's not Shackleton's JAMES CAIRD. But this clinker hulled dinghy, built as an all season fishing boat, played a rescue role of great heroism just as significant in British history as the JAMES CAIRD. Keep Calm and Carry On.

Name:  Clinker.JPG
Views: 950
Size:  19.8 KB
    She's Tamzine. One of the many small ships of Dunkirk taking part in the rescue of British forces during WW2.