Page 228 of 628 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278328 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  strange3.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  100.6 KB

Here's TALLEY HO, photographed in the Solent by Beken of Cowes in 1927. That's 90 years ago, showing all the latest in yacht design technology being promoted in modern day glossy ads and boat shows:

1) Vertical stem (Albert Strange's answer to crowded harbors, along with
    2) retractable bow sprit
    3) loose footed main
    4) diagonal sail panels
    5) fractional rig, with square topped main
    6) not a masthead tri-color, but there's TALLEY HO's Fresnel running lights 8 feet off the water, better visibility than modern nav lights on the pulpit obscured by the asymmetrical spinnaker tacked to the sprit.

I wonder how long it takes TALLEY HO to jibe?

Fun to see design and ingenuity at play, in this case in Los Osos, where Craig and Vicky have modified the steering on their 20 foot Sooty Tern WEE BONNIE. The previous steering system, an extra long tiller extension, bypassed the mizzen mast on the starboard side, but created less than desirable characteristics in the process...

Name:  WeeBonnie1.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  367.9 KB Name:  WeeBonnie5.JPG
Views: 1159
Size:  1.56 MB

Craig set his fertile imagination to work, and designed a "Lyre Tiller" that curved around the mizzen mast on both sides, before coming together forward. The aft end of the Lyre Tiller even provides a sheeting point for the mizzen boom.

Name:  WeeBonnie6.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  628.4 KB

Craig writes the new tiller was "fun to build and, at 7’ in length, gives rather fine steering control/feedback."

Name:  Wee Bonnie7.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  868.0 KB

photos courtesy of MAGICdreamer
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-09-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Craig writes the new tiller was "fun to build and, at 7’ in length, gives rather fine steering control/feedback."
    Brilliant! Not to stereotype, but sailors are so ingenious, both by inclination and necessity.

Just for the record, Sir sleddog, I just followed the plans that Iain Oughtred sketched in a corner of one of his plan sheets. And I can see from the photo why you might have thought that the mizzen sheet goes to it...but I built a hollow boomkin - that pole just behind my back - which angles inward aft and the sheet goes through that to a cam cleat on the stern deck - just out of sight.

Now that tiller extension for the lyre is a bit of fun. A scrap of curly maple left over from a furniture-building project had some dramatic grain to it ('chatoyancy", is the term, I think - see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laRR95IZac ). This was dyed with some aniline dye and varnished for an interesting sort of curiosity. Too much time on my hands, I suspect...)

Cheers,

Craig
    Last edited by MAGICdreamer; 10-10-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

I have a push-pull tiller on the skerry and I'm not a fan. On the skerry, I don't have a mizzen to worry about, so I think a new, non-kick-up rudder with a reg'lar tiller is in my future.

I'm also considering the possibility of building one of these. I'm about to send a check off for the design and plank layouts.

https://youtu.be/2RsttZg7iCc
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Determination. Competency. Both can be found at the old Aeolus Boatworks in Davenport, 15 miles north of Santa Cruz, where Gary Blair has been building his 40 foot cruising cutter for the last 40 years.

Name:  Blair2.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  611.4 KB

Gary drove a SC transit bus for years while working on his project. The hull is cold-molded mahogany, 3 layers, 1 5/8" thick. Gary never met a piece of fiberglass he didn't hate.

Interesting, the waterline length of Gary's dreadnought design is 3 feet longer than the length on deck.

Name:  Blair3.JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  878.0 KB

Gary's cutter, near completion, features three watertight doors and compartments.

Name:  Blair1.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  526.4 KB

photos courtesy of Paul Tara
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Good sailing friend, VN, left this morning as navigator on the 10 day, Double-Handed, All Women's Off Road Rally, the REBELLE, between Lake Tahoe and San Diego. Traditional navigation methods only: compass, plotting sheets, and topo maps as they cross dirt roads, double tracks, trails, and sand dunes. No GPS or cell phones to find the checkpoints, some of which are nothing more than a blue flag in a sand dune.

Tracking by Yellow Brick, available online to supporters but not to contestants.

37 Teams in this test of driving skill, navigation, and endurance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkB...rvi4BimVrYhpyw

It's gonna be a bit dusty out there in the wilds of Nevada. But showers, food, and gas will be waiting at the evening Base Camps. Go Team Broncosaurus!

http://www.rebellerally.com/
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-13-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Blue Whales visiting Santa Cruz Harbor?

Santa Cruz Harbor's new dredge, TWIN LAKES, has begun dredging the shoaled Upper Harbor, north of the bridge. and south of Arana Gulch. Coincidentally, a whimsical science experiment is occurring offshore Twin Lakes State Beach, just east of the breakwater. If you can figure this one out, you win a weekend at Capitola Boat Club.

Here are the facts: Golf balls, with the logo "Ocean Honda," and the distinctive Wally the Blue Whale emblem, are floating ashore at Twin Lakes Beach. Why? Where are they coming from? Golf balls float. Or do they? This flotation, or lack of, is a significant clue to the science experiment mystery. As is gravity. And no, no one is driving golf balls into the ocean for practice. Or are they?

Chris, the dredge driver, knows the answer....Others may also, but don't visit this journal. Or do they?

Name:  Screenshot-2017-10-16 Wally the Whale(1).png
Views: 903
Size:  801.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-16-2017 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Blue Whales visiting Santa Cruz Harbor?
    You had me going there for a minute! I was ready to jump in the car and drive down. Alas! I don't have a scientific brain. I'll wait for the next easy competition.... will there ever be an easy competition?

Golf balls don't float in fresh water, used to make a couple buck collecting them out of ponds as a kid, maybe they do in salt water.

Are they going somewhere with the dredge tailings in order to find out how long and where the the current takes them?

Just a wild guess.