Page 229 of 628 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

OK, I'll try...
    They just started dredging the upper harbor.
    My hunch is the new sediment has treasures in the form of golf balls, which sink, but are almost neutrally buoyant in salt water (ask me how I know this).
    my guess is that some of these got launched just far enough in the dredge plume to drift around the corner and get washed back in at Twin Lakes.

am I close?

Good analysis, David. You win the weekend at CBC. Here's the story as I understand it. (Corrections appreciated):

About a mile up Arana Gulch lies Delaveaga Golf Course. On the golf course lies the practice driving range, where if you badly slice your drive, the ball ends up downhill in Arana Gulch. The balls furnished by the driving range bear the logo of Ocean Honda and it's blue "Wally the Whale" as an advertising reminder.

When the occasional miss hit golf ball dribbles downhill into Arana Gulch, it is likely to get washed into the creek which runs fast in winter storms. Arana Gulch creek passes through a pipe and into the Upper Santa Cruz Harbor, which gets shoaled by all the sediment, thus the need for dredging.

Golf balls sink in fresh water like Arana Gulch creek, and get buried in the sediment. When the dredge snorkel sucks up the sediment, in the spoils are golf balls, which then get pumped all the way out the Harbor, and into the ocean just seaward of Twin Lakes Beach.

Here lies the science experiment DH has alluded to. Golf balls float in salt water due to greater sea water density than fresh water. The Delaveaga practice balls, which have now traveled about 2 miles downhill, rise to the surface from the dredge pipe terminus in the ocean and wash ashore onto the Beach.

Theoretically, a golf ball could float all the way to Hanalei Bay, or even make a passage through the NW Passage, as the occasional rubber ducky has. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-journey.html

But put a golf ball in a lake, and it will sink. How do I know this? As a kid I made spare change wading in our local golf course water hazard ponds about sunset and retrieving lost golf balls with my crab pincer big toe. The balls were then sold to the practice range for a quarter a piece, as were golf tees for a dime a dozen.

OK, David, how did you learn the flotation qualities of golf balls?

Fear not, all is not lost and I offer another guest weekend at CBC to whomever can answer the following navigational history question: the location in Arana Gulch where the practice golf balls drop out of sight into the poison oak is significantly unique on any chart or map that uses latitude and longitude. This position is so unique, that back in the early days of Santa Cruz, there was a monument on the location, and tourists were taken in open cars up to the site to say they had stood there. What is this position?
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-16-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    OK, David, how did you learn the flotation qualities of golf balls?
    Like many things, I owe this to my father.
    Ever the chemical engineer, dad had a parlor trick that involved a glass of tap water, a golf ball, and a salt shaker.
    Basically a variant of "bet you I can pull the ball out without spilling the water"
    I never forgot the lesson; particularly after I watched him win a $10 bar bet with it.
    Last edited by DaveH; 10-16-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Like many things, I owe this to my father.
    Ever the chemical engineer, dad had a parlor trick that involved a glass of tap water, a golf ball, and a salt shaker.
    Basically a variant of "bet you I can pull the ball out without spilling the water"
    I never forgot the lesson; particularly after I watched him win a $10 bar bet with it.
    Man, that's a great story, Dave. Reminds me of the premise of Slumdog Millionaire. Fun post, Skip, thanks but you'll need to make them much easier if I'm ever going to win one of these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Skip, thanks but you'll need to make them much easier if I'm ever going to win one of these days!
    OK, here's an easy one. Though this USCG tested and approved design won't win any SSS races, it is unsinkable, unbreakable, reportedly uncapsizable, and can be safely dropped from aircraft with/without a parachute.......
    What is this All American design named after?

Name:  rainer.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  345.9 KB

You call THAT easy?! I am clueless, but it looks like a West Wight (not Wright) Potter with junk sails and perhaps mated to an unsinkable Boston Whaler hull.

Log Books? Over the years I've filled >22 300 page Log Books. I use horizontally lined, hard cover, Record Books, available at most stationers stores for about $20. As needed, I vertically line pages with a pen and straight edge, and label columns as needed: Time/Date/Avg.Course, Speed, Weather/Barometer, etc. For the time we are not underway, I forgo the columns, and just write what happened, or make a sketch. Works for me.
    PS: to be a legal document, the log needs to be written in ink.

Name:  Log 001.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  821.3 KB

Name:  log2 001.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  1.49 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-17-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    You call THAT easy?! I am clueless, but it looks like a West Wight (not Wright) Potter with junk sails and perhaps mated to an unsinkable Boston Whaler hull.
    It looks like a Scamp with attitude, and with a deck that's too long for the hull. But really I have no idea! Here's a Scamp (pity about the painter).

Name:  Scamp.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  212.3 KB

Sorry, BobJ, not a "Scamp with attitude," nor a Dyer Dinghy. Our mystery design has no relationship to Portland, Oregon, either, as some uninformed glossy sailing mags have suggested.... I'll bet MAGICdreamer checks in with the right answer.....
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-17-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Of course, the unmistakable hull is a PORTLAND PUDGY, made in Portland, ME. But, there must be WAY more to this story. The modifications are not "stock" and obviously with an intended purpose. For more entertainment, look up the story of a fellow who modified a Pudgy to use as gondola for his trans-Atlantic ballon flight.

Tom (sitting here recovering from back surgery)

P.S. Ah yes, the joy of web access... here's PUGWASH in an earlier incarnation:
    Name:  w+Pugwash+and+ship+1.JPG
Views: 695
Size:  54.2 KB
    Last edited by Dazzler; 10-17-2017 at 11:12 AM.