Page 236 of 628 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    Looks like a Tabby Cat, exploring new stuff.
    Tabbys have a symmetrical pattern on both of their sides and "Tabby" is an age old catchall, Heinz 57, general term for any striped or spotted cat. Bengals are a specific breed of "tabbiness," often with a glittering gold pelt that has a different pattern on each side. Look at a marbled cat: if the coat is the same on both sides, it isn't a Bengal. If the fur design is different, it's a Bengal.

I have been fortunate to have had a friendship with several Bengals: Archie, Max, and Chula. Similar to this writer, Bengals can be quite opinionated. Or not. I asked Max if he objected to be called a "Tabby," and his laconic reply was "are you kidding? I'm a cat and really don't care what you call me, as long as it's not late for dinner.

Diverting for a moment from the boat identification of the month, here's a Bengal gallery. First is Archie, the magic cat and crew aboard schooner MAGIC.

Name:  MagicArchie2.JPG
Views: 1070
Size:  998.3 KB Name:  MagicArchie3.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  789.9 KB Name:  MagicArchie.JPG
Views: 898
Size:  744.5 KB

Then there's Chula of Los Osos. Though it will be denied, I have seen Chula walk on water at Cap Sante. A special cat indeed. Even comes with a heated bed. Plug and play. Name:  Chula.JPG
Views: 1110
Size:  745.7 KB

And here's Max in his cat cave. Reminds me of a quarterberth on some boats I have known.. Name:  Max.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  930.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks to Vicky for alerting me to the story of Max the cat who wants nothing more than to hang out in the school library. What's a cat to do who wants to read the SSS Forum? https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stor...lester-college
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-04-2017 at 08:23 PM.

What's Max doing on that boat? Is Skip turning him into a sailor cat? Wait.....that's not Max, he's in his happy cozy little bed at home. Phew!

One picture worth 1,000 words...

Name:  Navy.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  43.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-05-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Capitola Small Boat Club is receiving praise for its new stationary exercise equipment, a pedal drive, available to members and guests free of charge:

Name:  pedaldrive9.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  394.2 KB

For a small donation, we'll cast off the dock lines, allowing "harbor cruising" at speeds up to 2.5 knots while you work up an appetite.

Is this what they call beam reaching in Santa Cruz? Do you sail sideways while pedalling? How do you trim the sails? Looks like fun. I'll come down next week and pay to play with a lemon bread.
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-05-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Is this what they call beam reaching in Santa Cruz? Do you sail sideways while pedalling? How do you trim the sails? Looks like fun. I'll come down next week and pay to play with a lemon bread.
    Lordy! As the pedal drive propeller is aimed forward when pedaling sitting in a sideways position in the front of the cockpit, WILDFLOWER moves in any direction steered with the tiller, which is in reach from the port side pedal position. Also in reach are the mainsheet, traveler, jib sheet, tiller pilot and binoculars. Pedaling can sometimes make enough extra apparent wind to sail with the big jib. Once the boat speed reaches ~ 3 knots, the pedal drive can be extracted from its hole and stowed, the hole covered, and sailing commences. We weighed the unit yesterday: 10 pounds soaking wet.

The unit remains experimental, even though it has 1600 miles of use this year on INCOGNITO, the G-32 cat owned by Russell and Ashlyn Brown of Port Townsend. Improvements have been suggested including raising the fairing, substituting a stainless chain or Gates belt, adding heel straps and arm rests, and experimenting with different size and pitched props.

On the other side of the Harbor, Howard is dealing with a second faulty lithium battery in his little blue box electric car. We hope the manufacturer can make good.

Name:  SALLY1`.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  53.7 KB

As a kid in S. Cal., I used to love seeing the 10 meters race. These lovely designs ranged in LOA from 57-59 feet, narrow, deep, overhangs, fractional rig..many were tiller steered, including SIRIUS, which I once got to skipper in an early Big Boat Series. Above photo is SALLY. And here's BRANTA, designed by Starling Burgess and built by A&R in 1929. She's a beauty!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17PZOxEFCJU

For your trivia pleasure, the six S.Cal 10 meters were each painted a different color. One of them was so extra beautiful that Z-Spar Paint named a color after this boat, a color still available by special order today.

Was this color HILARIA blue? COQUILLE cream? BRANTA red? SIRIUS grey? KARAMA pearl? or SALLY Green?

A hint is the color was originally from the owner's wife's Ponds Cold Cream jar lid.

Ready, Set, Go!
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-06-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Mmmmm. Having crewed (Blackaller, Etchells) Stars, then skippered, it was fun to watch the simularities and big differences in today's Star Racing as exemplified in the recent Star Sailors League (SSL) championships in Nassau, Bahamas.

The recent SSL hosted 50 of the best sailors in the World, all pros and all finely tuned athletes. They were all World Champions in multiple classes, as well as Olympic medalists and AC skippers. Prize money was $200,000!

Starboats remain the same hull design since their origin in 1911. But boy have other things changed! My Star, #3497, was all wood, with wood mast and boom, a small bronze jib winch. My crew weighed 160 pounds.Name:  Star 001.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  343.8 KB

Today's Star crews are giants, most over 6'3" and 230 pounds. Gone are the jib winches. The mainsails have gotten even bigger. Hiking aids were not allowed back in the day. Now all manner of hiking aids are allowed including straps, vests, hobbles (not trapezes.) Thank goodness for the bigger sail windows now allowed. The boom is so low, it sits on the deck. Downwind the mast is raked radically forward, and all manner of pumping and rocking the sails and boat are allowed.

In this week's SSL, any of the 25 crews could have won a race. Paul Cayard won two, but didn't qualify for the Semis. The current World's Champion, Melleby from Norway, couldn't even break the top 10.

Here's a visual comparison of then and now. The first video is 1961 Star racing. Lowell North and Bill Ficker were at their prime, as was Dick Stearns, Malin Burnham, Gary Comer, and Joe Duplin. Tom Blackaller, a brash teenager, could barely break into mid-fleet.... Notice all the Stars are pretty colors. Boy did that ever change with fiberglass Stars. Now they are all white. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLT92O7H5G4

The second video, 3 minutes long, is some highlites of the Final Day of this week's Star Sailors League. My heart skips a beat just watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jMFUBIcI6Q
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-11-2017 at 09:25 AM.

"Older Girl in Need of Sugar Daddy!"

Dear Sailing Friends,

Joking aside, please don't let Eric know that I'm telling you this - !

I have just learned that a locally-berthed sister ship to our 1964 Sparkman & Stephens designed Columbia 29 (Mk I) HEATHER is about to go on the block. Some of you may know HEATHER as the sloop that Eric and I
    lived aboard when we were first married, then sailed most of the way around the world in the 80's and 90's. Now a home to little fishes in the Caribbean...

This other boat's name is TARA. From at least 2004 onward, she was berthed one dock over from our home base in Marina del Rey, during the years when our present boat RUNAWAY -- now undergoing a major refit in
    our backyard in Torrance -- was still in the water. TARA didn't appear to us to be used much over that period, but apparently she was an oft-time participant in the annual Newport to Ensenada (Mexico) race.
    An MdR tradesman we are acquainted with -- from whom we learned that the boat is now for sale -- regularly crewed on her. We always liked looking at that familiar S&S transom, and we were gratified to see that she was very well-loved (= immaculately, and expensively, equipped/maintained).

"We can't just let her go!!!" was my immediate reaction to the news of her impending sale.

However: Eric, ever the practical one, points out that TARA is now over 50 years old -- definitely "getting on" for a fiberglass boat -- and that she is smaller, and slower, than what most people might like. He says that the asking price (our source said $15K, which sounds great to me considering what the owner has obviously put into the boat) would buy "a lot of boat" on the used-boat market these days. He cautions any first-boat buyer to bear in mind the relatively high cost, month after month, of a slip, even for a small boat, along with upkeep. He also insists that he personally would NOT be AT ALL interested in supporting any sale-prep, customization, or ongoing maintenance projects on such a boat, however worthy, as he already has his hands full -- and then some! -- with our beloved RUNAWAY.

He did concede that TARA might be an ideal boat for seasonal gunkholing in a cruising ground like Maine (or the Pacific Northwest?), where she could be (motor)sailed off a mooring all summer, her full keel proof against the lobster pots, with the promise of some TLC every winter to keep her in good fiddle...

So: I am absolutely on my own in broadcasting this information to various of our sailing friends, Sleddog included, and this is absolutely all I know.

Sentimentally,

Robin Lambert

Name:  columbia29-lines.gif
Views: 897
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  Columbia29Pythagoras.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  102.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-10-2017 at 11:10 AM.