Page 248 of 628 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298348 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

PJ wins a BBQ'ed lamb dinner with mint sauce for identifying the Bristol pilot cutter MISCHIEF, owned by HW "Bill" Tilman. Tilman sailed to remote destinations to climb difficult and rarely visited peaks, more than 100 summits, and in 1936 was first to summit Nanda Devi, highest mountain in India at 25,643'.

A little known fact is Bill Tilman was first to cross Africa by bicycle in a time when there were no roads and few trails. Tilman had a dry wit, and was a master of colossal understatement. We all remember his famous curt advertisement for crew in the London Times: "“Hand wanted for long voyages in small boat. No pay, no prospects, not much pleasure”

We used to have a place on Herron Island, which is sort of around the corner from Gig Harbor, WA. You all need to know about the Gig Harbor Boat Shop

http://gigharborboatshop.org/

Now home of Thunderbird, Hull #1, I believe.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

And on the Case Inlet, up by the port of Stretch Island, the Grapeview Point Boat Works

http://grapeviewpointboatworks.com/

1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

"Victoria is a bit of the old Empire in that pinkies up, stiff upper lip, tweed and a Gin and Tonic sort of way combined with that frontier spirit of beaver pelts, red serge of the Mounties, and socialized medicine. In short: Canada at its best," writes Race2Alaska director Jake Beattie.

Name:  empress.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  117.3 KB

Many readers are likely familiar with the Empress Hotel and docks in downtown Victoria, site of the 2018 Le Mans race start for the R2AK at noon, June, 17th. Though it's dress code has likely changed, some years ago I was barred from entry into the Empress for wearing Levis. More recently, a guest was banned for life from the Empress when a large flock of seagulls trashed his room. Here's the story:

A visitor from Nova Scotia brought some "Brothers" pepperoni pizzas, a Halifax delicacy, to his naval friends stationed in Victoria. As his room lacked a refrigerator, the Empress guest decided to cool the pizza on the window sill while taking a walk, it being a brisk April day.

On his return, the guest found about 40 seagulls in his room. The startled birds "immediately started flying around and crashing into things as they desperately tried to leave the room through the small opening by which they had entered," said the Bluenoser.

The result was a tornado of seagull excrement, feathers, pepperoni chunks and fairly large birds whipping around the room. Lamps were falling, the curtains were trashed."

The guest waded through the birds and opened all the remaining windows. In his "agitated" state, he threw a shoe at one confused bird who tried to fly back into the room. Both shoe and seagull went out the window.

Finally, only one large seagull, with pepperoni still clasped in its beak, remained. "In a moment of clarity, I grabbed a bath-towel and jumped it," the guest said. Both the towel and bird also went out the window.

Below, the shoe and the towel-wrapped seagull landed on visitors arriving for afternoon High Tea at the Empress.

At this moment, the visitor realized he had only a few minutes before an important business meeting, and only one shoe to wear. He recovered his muddy shoe and attempted to wash and dry it in his room. But a hair dryer mishap knocked out power to the hotel.

You can't make this stuff up. Needless to say, the guest from Nova Scotia and his company received a letter saying he was no longer welcome at the Empress.

Now, 17 years later, the Empress has had a change of heart (and dress code) and pardoned the offending visitor for "time served."

Best to keep your hotel window closed when staying in Victoria for the start of the R2AK. But Levis are OK.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-06-2018 at 10:55 AM.

THAT is a FUNNY story, Skip!

thank you to Bob Johnston for the photo of Skip Allan being punished for wearing levis
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    "Victoria is a bit of the old Empire in that pinkies up, stiff upper lip, tweed and a Gin and Tonic sort of way combined with that frontier spirit of beaver pelts, red serge of the Mounties, and socialized medicine. In short: Canada at its best," writes Race2Alaska director Jake Beattie.
    Great story, and great quote. And yes, the Empress Hotel is emblematic of Beattie's quote. When you're in the Babcock & Storey bar at the Hotel Del Coronado, you can picture yourself in the America of Mark Twain. In the Bengal Room at the Empress you can feel like you've stepped into the British Empire of Rudyard Kipling.

Name:  20130324_153612.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  3.36 MB
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    PJ wins a BBQ'ed lamb dinner with mint sauce
    Like this?
    Name:  FB_IMG_1462214580201.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  124.2 KB

In another thread, a good friend writes "Because I'm in a mood today, regarding wool sail stops, etc. that will land in the water, I refer you to Racing Rule of Sailing (RRS) 55"

RRS 55 says "No Trash Overboard," to which I heartily subscribe, being in the cash-for-trash business. However, the rulesmakers, by their own admission, consider trash to be anything non-biodegradable.

Singlehanders are under image scrutiny from the public when they row ashore and empty an ocean crossing's worth of trash into already overflowing trash cans at Hanalei Beach Park, which then gets trucked to a Kauai landfill. Or in some cases barged back to the mainland.

And in one memorable case, discovering a sailor pumping oily bilge water into Hanalei Bay.

Good trash management begins before leaving the dock with the consideration of low impact packaging. I cringe when seeing skippers loading cases of single-use plastic water bottles.

I encourage Leave a Clean Wake, ashore as well as afloat.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-07-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    THAT is a FUNNY story, Skip!

thank you to Bob Johnston for the photo of Skip Allan being punished for wearing levis
    I actually had nothing to do with the photo. Nor do I recall seeing Skip wear Levis, regardless of the weather.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-07-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I actually had nothing to do with the photo. Nor do I recall seeing Skip wear Levis, regardless of the weather.
    Released from after school detention. Sleddog early singlehanding practice keeping moveable weight forward in light winds.
    Name:  Blue Moon'57 001.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  106.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-07-2018 at 01:09 PM.