Page 251 of 628 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  Buff.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  23.1 KB

Where does this buffalo roam? If you answer "on the SHTP finish line at Hanalei Bay," you would be correct. Recent rains, 4"/hour, a record 28" in 24 hours have flooded parts of Kauai, including the Hanalei Valley. This buff was one of three escapees who swam out of his compound.

The historic rainfall was caused by an upper level low pressure just west of Kauai. So far, no lives lost. But many rescues, with homes damaged and several residences swept away. Landslides and sink holes have closed the North Shore Kuhio highway. The Hanalei River has gone rogue, and the beach and Black Pot Park have been severely eroded at the River Mouth/Pier.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...rs-close-roads

Name:  Buff2.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  58.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-16-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Skip
    Your musings, remembrances and general interesting discussions are very much enjoyed. During my last ten (?) years worth of visiting Hanalei, I noticed that the old "buffalo farm" with the entrance adjacent to the Hanalei one-way bridge had closed. Don't know the story behind that, but have wondered. I have talked to many who seemed to think I was kidding when I mentioned it. So, at least, your pictures are proof that the critters were, at least, one there.
    Fair Winds, Amigo Ken Roper (visiting my boat in San Pedro)

How many people enjoy your thread, Skip? Well, today at noon = Views: 1,000,916

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Skip
    Your musings, remembrances and general interesting discussions are very much enjoyed. During my last ten (?) years worth of visiting Hanalei, I noticed that the old "buffalo farm" with the entrance adjacent to the Hanalei one-way bridge had closed. Don't know the story behind that, but have wondered. I have talked to many who seemed to think I was kidding when I mentioned it. So, at least, your pictures are proof that the critters were, at least, one there.
    Fair Winds, Amigo Ken Roper (visiting my boat in San Pedro)
    Hi Ken,

There remains a 70 buffalo herd in pasture by the Hanalei River. Good news is the TV news showed Paniolos roping Buffalo on Hanalei beach. They have returned all but 3 to pasture. So the buffalo of Hanalei are not a figment of imagination.

The $14 million dollar homes down by the Hanalei Pier are history, and will likely not be rebuilt, now the Hanalei River stream bed has found alternative routes to the Bay.

~skip

The record rain of 28" in 24 hours at Hanalei would have been greater. But the Weather Service rain gauge floated away and disappeared.

Yesterday, pro-surfer Laird Hamilton, a Hanalei resident, used his jet ski to pilot a Navy landing barge with bulldozer onto the beach at Wainiha, around the corner from Hanalei. From Hanalei to Haena, at road's end, the bridges are not strong enough for heavy equipment to cross to begin repairs. Everything will have to come by barge.

Name:  Wainiha.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  829.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-19-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Poor thing. An exhausted buffalo was found yesterday swimming in the ocean off Hanalei, headed for Tahiti. Fortunately he was lassoed and redirected by a jet ski, taken to shore for some "Tree Time" at the beach park, then put in a trailer for the short ride home.

I doubt SHTP sailors will encounter buffalo on their approach, or under the Tree...but you never know. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there.

Name:  Buff3.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  443.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-19-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Happy Earth Day!

A local definitive hazard to navigation for migrating whales, other than ships and orcas, are crab pots (lobster pots off Baja.) Unfortunately, crabbers use cheaper, poly line that floats. As well, there is usually 50-100 feet of slack in the line. We snagged one in broad daylight a few weeks ago on WILDFLOWER's rudder.

This morning, at dawn's early light, ENVOLEE, with Natalie and Synthia aboard, snagged a crabpot a few miles north of Santa Cruz while motoring on a delivery from Monterey to SF. I'd seen them earlier on AIS making 5.7 knots up the track, when a few minutes later they were DITW.

A call to Vessel Assist provided a tow for ENVOLEE to Santa Cruz Harbor, where they are now looking for a diver to clear their fouled prop. As Nat said, "too bad, we didn't even get to keep the crabs." Their lost crab pot will now join an increasing number "ghost fishing" on the ocean floor.

Unfortunately, whales can't call a diver for tail entanglement, and it becomes a life or death struggle. On the East Coast, Right whales are nearing extinction, partly because of entanglement and partly because of collisions with ships.

There are solutions to this floating line hazard, one being ropeless fishing. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...eath-1.4590246

Unfortunately at the moment, at least off the West Coast, no one is taking pro-active leadership and enforcement. The crab pot we snagged a few weeks ago, 2 miles off Santa Cruz in 80 feet, was one of a dozen anchored in a line east to west, each with two white buoys and many feet of unneeded scope, essentially creating an oceanic fence a half mile wide.

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/wtf/w...-hadnt-either/
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-21-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Name:  Envolee.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  489.2 KB
    Synthia and Natalie hanging out onboard Nat's Figaro 2 ENVOLEE this afternoon at Santa Cruz. The fouled crab pot line had been removed from the prop by a commercial diver, and they were waiting for the afternoon's fresh seabreeze of 20 knots to die out this evening for an early morning departure north.

In the background is Chuck Hawley's beautiful deep blue Alerion 38 yawl SURPRISE. As many know, Chuck was West Marine's technical and safety expert. And is now US Sailing's Safety at Sea Committee Chairman, as well as presenter at many Safety at Sea Seminars.

Chuck travels with a 2 gallons of regular gas in a plastic jerry jug in the back seat of his car. For a G&T, corn salsa and chips, and fresh salmon hors d'oeuvres on the deck of the CBC, why does Chuck carry this extra gas?

Name:  Chuck Hawley.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  527.7 KB

1) Ever helpful, Chuck likes to be prepared in case he meets someone out of gas and can offer help.
    2) Unlike the vast majority of sailors, Chuck likes the smell of gas from days as a kid running outboards.
    3) Chuck's BMW has a two gallon gas tank.
    4) Chuck likes to keep his ethanol gas mixture below 10%.
    5) Chuck uses the gas to help start practice fires at his Safey at Sea Seminars, in order to demonstrate efficacy of different types of fire extinguishers.
    6) Chuck has exhausted his yearly quota of AAA Service Calls and free gas to members stuck on the roadside.
    7) #1,4, and 5.
    8) The ENVOLEE price of gas has Chuck saving pennies.
    9) The photo is not Chuck Hawley, but someone who calls himself "Boat Doctor."
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-21-2018 at 08:37 PM.

I say it is none of the above!
    Chick is driving a german car that does not have a proper size battery so the electric drive needs help from the gas engine, but there are germans in the car game that don't like Chuck and did not give him a large enuf petrol tank to supplement the undersize battery :>)

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    I say it is none of the above!
    Chick is driving a german car that does not have a proper size battery so the electric drive needs help from the gas engine, but there are germans in the car game that don't like Chuck and did not give him a large enuf petrol tank to supplement the undersize battery :>)
    I'm sorry, but your answer is not correct and beyond the scope of comprehension of this family friendly forum. Try again if you like.