Page 256 of 629 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256257258259260266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 6290

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I think I recall somewhere that the RC would alert the fleet if a hurricane would cross its path. Is this just for hurricanes or lesser events too?

The RC will attempt to alert the fleet via their email contacts (either aboard or shoreside support) of significant weather events that may affect the fleet.
    Basically, if it has progressed to the point of being a named storm, we will send the location, predicted track and predicted intensity to all competitors.

The alerts will consist of the information in NOAA's EPAC Tropical Cyclone advisories... Sample info below
    NWS_Tropical-Cyclone-Advisory-Example.pdf

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 06-07-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Name:  asparagus2.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  365.0 KB

I marvel at this plant on my morning walks to the Cliff. It is currently 20 feet high, 10" in diameter at the base, weighs probably 200 pounds, and is growing at the prodigious rate of 6"/day.

It is an asparagus. With 5 gallons of mayo, it would likely feed the entire SHTP sendoff luncheon. If you like asparagus.

First to identify the proper name for this asparagus wins a Transpacific Fishing Kit, including hand line, ultra strong leader and feather and other shiny lures. Keep the kit for yourself if you intend to sail offshore and supplement your canned food with fresh fish. Or donate the kit to your favorite SHTP skipper.

Name:  Asparagus.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  541.1 KB

That looks like it wouldn't taste very good. Not tender at all. But a GREAT prize to the winner of who ever is able to identify it.

“Agave americana, common names sentry plant, century plant,[4] maguey, or American aloe,[5].Although it is called the century plant, it typically lives only 10 to 30 years. It has a spread around 6–10 ft (1.8–3.0 m) with gray-green leaves of 3–5 ft (0.9–1.5 m) long, each with a prickly margin and a heavy spike at the tip that can pierce deeply. Near the end of its life, the plant sends up a tall, branched stalk, laden with yellow blossoms, that may reach a total height up to 25–30 ft (8–9 m) tall.

Its common name derives from its semelparous nature of flowering only once at the end of its long life. The plant dies after flowering, but produces suckers or adventitious shoots from the base, which continue its growth.”
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-07-2018 at 09:06 AM.

"Murder by Death" had a mushroom story. I have an asparagus story. But I need to find the photo that goes with it, which may be difficult.

The bottom line (accountants love to say that) is I hate aspergrass. Awful stuff...

I'll go with: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_tequilana

It is rarely kept as a houseplant, but a 50-year-old blue agave in Boston grew a 30-foot (9 m) stalk requiring a hole in the greenhouse roof and flowered in the summer of 2006.[5]

Looks more like an artichoke than asparagus.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    “Agave americana, common names sentry plant, century plant,[4] maguey, or American aloe,[5].Although it is called the century plant, it typically lives only 10 to 30 years. It has a spread around 6–10 ft (1.8–3.0 m) with gray-green leaves of 3–5 ft (0.9–1.5 m) long, each with a prickly margin and a heavy spike at the tip that can pierce deeply. Near the end of its life, the plant sends up a tall, branched stalk, laden with yellow blossoms, that may reach a total height up to 25–30 ft (8–9 m) tall. ”
    Congrats to Jackie for identifying the Agave plant. I wonder how many quarts of mezcal this plant would make ...probably enough to get the entire SHTP fleet drunk at Tree Time.

What will Jackie do with an oceanic fishing kit aboard DURA MATER in the Delta? Do sturgeon like red feather lures?

Further update on Hanalei from Captain Bob, on site. (Bob was part of the welcoming finish committee in the first SHTP in 1978.

"8-10 sailboats and several powerboats currently (6/07/18) anchored in Hanalei Bay. There is 3 feet depth (previously 6') at the outer end of the Pier and sand shoals all the way to shore at that end of the beach, a new surf break. Otherwise the usual anchorage has not been impacted, depths remain the same, and dinghy landing further south from the pier to the lifeguard stand should be fine.

Name:  Hanalei pier4.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  522.6 KB

Due to the loss of their haul out spot at Black Pot, near the Hanalei River mouth, the Hanalei Canoe Club has relocated and half a dozen 6 man canoes and other craft are stored on the grass in the Beach Park, right where Tree Time usually congregates. The SHTP contingent will have to relocate to another area of the Beach Park."

No Biggee.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...lei-bay-resort
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Congrats to Jackie for identifying the Agave plant. I wonder how many quarts of mezcal this plant would make ...probably enough to get the entire SHTP fleet drunk at Tree Time. What will Jackie do with an oceanic fishing kit aboard DURA MATER in the Delta? Do sturgeon like red feather lures?
    Jackie would never try to catch a fish off Dura Mater. Slimy fish guts would cause her consternation and DM would not like it, either. Instead, the oceanic fishing kit will be donated to some lucky Transpacker at the Farewell Luncheon at the Corinthian Yacht Club on June 22, 2018. Potential fisherpeople (not only men, because Carliane is a Transpacker, too) will put their names into a hat and one will be chosen. Remember that the gift is from Skip, Jackie is merely the deliveryperson.