Page 257 of 628 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307357 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Jackie would never try to catch a fish off Dura Mater. Slimy fish guts would cause her consternation and DM would not like it, either. Instead, the oceanic fishing kit will be donated to some lucky Transpacker at the Farewell Luncheon at the Corinthian Yacht Club on June 22, 2018. Potential fisherpeople (not only men, because Carliane is a Transpacker, too) will put their names into a hat and one will be chosen. Remember that the gift is from Skip, Jackie is merely the deliveryperson.
    What an exciting raffle prize! I was just asking Michael Jefferson about fishing lures. One of my return crew is an Alaskan fisherman so I'm expecting mahi for dinner, fer shur....

Jackie, I'm also perfectly OK being called one of the guys. My dive team at the Sheriff's dept. (all guys and me) have learned it's just easier than "guys and Carliane." More inclusive, too

Name:  Hole in the rock.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  647.9 KB

What is this? An entry in the upcoming Race2Alaska?
    Nope. Just a creative camping rig recently seen at Hole In The Rock, south of Moab, Utah.

The R2AK starts June 14 from Port Townsend, WA. Too bad our SHTP doesn't have bios of the entrants like R2AK...If you haven't read the brilliant hilariousness, check out the R2AK fleet here: https://r2ak.com/2018-full-race-participants/

Rumor has it both DURA MATER and Sleddog will be onsite in PT to review the R2AK fleet. Is this the year a mono-hull will win the $10,000 first place prize over the multi-hulls? A Melges 32 is certainly a potent weapon. But how is TEAM SAIL LIKE A GIRL gonna fit 8 women crew and sail 24/7 on an open boat with minimum interior? Something doesn't compute. But neither do most other entrants in the R2AK, where traditionally only 35-40% of the entries make it to Ketchikan. Even Snortin' Norton Smith, first winner of the SHTP in 1978 in his Santa Cruz 27, couldn't get to Ketchikan in the2015 R2AK before breaking on the rocks..
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-08-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Name:  BlueFlash.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  71.9 KB

If the all-women Melges 32 has boat speed to burn for the R2AK, the J-88 BLUE FLASH is the Space-X Rocket of the fleet.

BLUE FLASH's full throated bio of these kids is something else to read: Here you go:

Team BlueFlash

Team members: Sean Grealish, William-Patrick Blouin-Comeau, Maisie Bryant, Grant Gridley, Jack Holbrook
    Hometown: Portland, Oregon, USA
    Race vessel: J88
    LOA: 29′
    Human propulsion: Pedal drive
    Connect: facebook, instagram

The Race to Alaska was started by sailors, and not the blue blazer, top shelf cocktail, valet park and a golf clap kind. We’re the kind of sailor that is usually preceded by “Swears like a…”—which was good practice for the race, because from the moment the applications come in to the moment the last racer finishes is a blue streak of epithets whose meaning is only understandable by the context, looks on our faces, and the pitch and cadence of “WTFs” we insert like tracer rounds just to keep track of the action. Slow and low with a shake of the head: disappointment. High and tight staccato: excitement. Wide eyed, open-throated on the inhale, with hang time on the last syllable: marveled disbelief.

We keep it PG for the public, but F-bomb for effect behind closed and heavily soundproofed doors. We’re not talking surgical strikes here—this is old school, Nixon-era “more is more,” scorched-earth obscenity deployment; we let them cascade out of the F-bomb bay doors like the things have an expiration date.

We swear at team’s race applications all the time, but usually in that decrescendo between disappointment and sad disbelief. If there was ever a team that had us swearing with enthusiasm as we read their bona-effing-fides, it was Team BlueFlash. We are so hooting excited about these motherflippers that it’s hard to calm down enough to type it out rationally and not just howl out the barbaric unprintable while we punch the keyboard until the buttons come off on our bloodied knuckles.

Let’s start with their boat. Team BlueFlash might have maxed the open source monohull supply chain with their choice of a J88, not just any J88, but as they describe it, “The most successful offshore racing J88 in the whole world.” The whole frictastic world. Over the last four years, the boat has campaigned 8 major offshore races and won 5. We read that and the skies opened: the H in Jesus H Christ stands for How in the Hell did they do tHat? This boat is slippery, pegged their GPS at 19.2 knots before the spinnaker carried away and they stuffed it. 19 knots on a 30-footer—fudging shoot!

Beyond choosing a race vessel that, to our knowledge, is the only unannounced contender for Space X that flies horizontal, it’s Team BlueFlash’s sailors that brought our obscenities to a level of volume and duration that, to this day, is peeling paint off of churches throughout the Midwest.

Let’s start with their age and experience. That all of them are more qualified than us to win this R2AFudgemuffin is one inspiring, annoying, and swearable offense. Navigator on ocean races, skipper on national dinghy campaigns, medical training, collegiate racing, etc. That all but one of them would need a fake ID to legally accept the beer we’d give them when they do win is another. 19,19,19,20 (but 21 at time of race) is insult to our ever-aging injury. When they party like it’s 1999, they blow out 1-2 candles, then smash cake on their face.

The most pants-impregnating truth of their entry is what they offered in their self-censored words:

“The Race to Alaska is something I have been dreaming about doing since I followed the first edition back in 2015. As someone who has been racing sailboats for his whole life, I’ve become disenfranchised with the money and snobbish protesting that takes place at regattas that are supposed to showcase the pinnacle of our sport. Race to Alaska represents everything that I wish sailing had more of: comradery, community, all-around badass people—even off the racecourse. I have raced across the Pacific Ocean, but as a teenage boy, there is nothing I can think of as a better use of my time than the 2018 R2AK. Our boat is solid, our team is the most knowledgeable group of young sailors put together for the R2AK, and we have what it takes to make it to Ketchikan as the youngest team to finish the race.”

Pound keyboard, pick a fight with internet, call a random number and unleash the unholy compendium from A-word to the yet-to-be-invented Z-word: this team is the schmidt.

Welcome to the R2AK, Team BlueFlash. At the request of your parents, your Ketchikan arrival will be heavily monitored by CPS, Liquor Control and the FCC.

Yeah. That's why I'm going up, too.

Name:  chickens.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  109.8 KB

Cock-a-doodle-doo.

If this is your first time to Kauai, you will likely be surprised at the number of feral chickens. These ancestors of ancient Polynesian voyagers are everywhere, even nesting on the towel in the back of your rental car, as my sister recently discovered.

Why so many chickens crossing the road? Rumor is they are escaped refugees from hurricanes Ewa (1982) and Iniki (1992) that destroyed local chicken coops.

Local Kauai chickens come in all colors and sizes, and have adapted to eat pretty much anything.

The chickens are harmless, although they will lay eggs in unexpected places: in hotel lobbies, in rental kayaks, in snorkel masks. Did I mention Kauai chickens can and will fly?

Name:  chicken2.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  552.4 KB

I guess the chicken's worst offense is the one that pisses off tourists in their expensive hotels. Kauai chickens love to crow at all hours of the night, often right outside the window.

Kauai, the Chicken Isle. Name:  chicken3.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  6.8 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-10-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Arrived in Port Townsend yesterday afternoon, a 15 hour straight thru drive from Capitola. PT town and environs are humming, with 120 paddle, pedal, and rowing craft (no sails allowed) underway in the leadup to the R2AK, the Seventy48 race, which started at 5:30 pm last evening in Tacoma, finishing at Port Townsend, 70 miles north as the crow flies.

The $12,000 first prize was claimed this 3:09 a.m. morning by 4X Olympic medalist Greg Barton on his EPIC V10 surf-ski. Greg paddled the 70 miles straight through the dark night at 8 knots to ring the finish bell at the City Dock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswoODxPnXc

The rest of the diverse Seventy48 fleet, depending on weather, endurance, and speed, will be straggling in today, tonight, and tomorrow.
    https://www.seventy48.com/race-explained/

I'm staying with SSS's Dan and Linda, both vets of the SHTP (Dan is a two time winner). Dan has a nice boat shop, where he specializes in exotic carbon fiber construction, including rudders, airplanes, and mega-yacht ladders. Presently he is building 9 carbon fiber rocket nose cones.

It seems satellite payloads for space launches are getting smaller. As technology improves and miniaturizes, satellites only have to be the size of cell phone to send back important information to Earth. With a backlog of 500 launches, there are currently not enough rockets available for these smaller payloads, the smallest the size of a golf ball. Here is one of Dan's carbon fiber nose cones under construction.

Name:  nose cone.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  386.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-12-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Arrived in Port Townsend yesterday afternoon, a 15 hour straight thru drive from Capitola.
    Did you have spare fuel tanks and diapers? That's fast!

It's pedal drive city here in Port Townsend in the leadup to tomorrow's start of the first leg of the R2AK. My guess is 50% of the 36 boat fleet has some version and sophistication of pedal drive.

Here's a Santa Cruz 27 that pedaled in Pt. Hudson yesterday:
    Name:  pedaldrive10.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  442.0 KB

Larry Olson, SSS's only representative in the R2AK, has modified WILDFLOWER's pedal drive to work on the stern of his Olson 30 TEAM DREAM CATCHERS.
    Name:  pedal drive7.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  546.4 KB

Most impressive, the all-women crew on the Melges-32 SAIL LIKE A GIRL pedaled into town with two pedal drives, making an honest 4 knots. Their setup is gonna be a potent human powered engine when the winds go light. My prediction is Team SAIL LIKE A GIRL will be in the hunt to win this year's R2AK, the first mono-hull to do so.

SLAG's competition will be the J-88 TEAM BLUEFLASH, which has a pedal drive, two sets of oars, and the enthusiasm of youth to make it all work.

What of the multis? Russell Brown is going solo on his G-32, the fastest boat in the fleet. But fleet favorite Russell, even though an iron man, will be unable to sail/pedal 24/7, and unlikely a contender for the $10,000 first prize.

The rest of the multi's don't seem to have the racing chops to be competitive: I saw one tri yesterday with a dirty bottom, peeling decals and collision damage on the waterline, and a crew that have reportedly never sailed a multi before. Another tri, Team TSS, from Colorado, is impressively prepared, and carrying 15 gallons of gas for their cabin heater. They will be the only boat ever to race the R2AK with a cabin heater.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-13-2018 at 06:42 AM.

There are so many very cool stories here at the R2AK that I can't type fast enough. Racers are currently standing around their vessels with rain dripping down their noses, waiting for the sky to clear. Here is SledDog showing off his new toy, a $15 DUI bike w electric motor attachment. The seat is either a living thing or something made of llama wool. The only thing wrong with this travel dream is that the dingaling doesn't work. Said Skip, "I've been riding around without a bell."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-13-2018 at 02:29 PM.

That seat is some kind of scary. Reminds me of the first generation Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles." (And I hate to admit but for a moment there I thought you meant Skip when you said "the dingaling doesn't work" but that was just jealousy of the retired...) You guys are having too much fun up there.