Page 263 of 628 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313363 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Is Jou Jou doing the right thing by staying south? I'm looking at weather and some models say it will get a little light on the north track. Not a lot but a little.

So we all aren't on the same page, Ray says to me this morning:

"Because some trackers do not send the SOG or SPD, I treat all trackers the same - SOG is the average over the reporting speed. COG is the direction between the reporting period.
    SOG[A] = Distance (Positon[A]) - Distance (Positon[A -1]) / Time (Positon[A]) - Time (Positon[A -1])
    COG[A] = Direction (Positon[A-1]) to (Positon[A])

Since the trackers are Boat owned, they are not all set to the same reporting time - so the average time varies boat to boat. You can see the reporting time by check Markers - All Race.

Some trackers report the instantaneous SOG and COG but not all."

So I've changed tactics. One boat was making 10.6, then 5.5, then 10.3 at three successive 4 hour tracker reports, for a 24 hour speed average of 7.4 knots.

The most accurate way I can see is using plotting sheets, parallel rules, and divider. Like the old days.

I mentioned earlier "we have a boat race." in the SHTP. I thought also the R2AK was a boat race to Ketchikan, anything goes, including portaging. Team TRAK kayak has taken the rules to heart, portaged past Seymour Narrows, and between East and West Cracroft Islands with his 19' folding kevlar cloth kayak. Now he is going overland carrying his kayak into somewhere deep in the forested wilderness north of Vancouver Island.

I hope a bear doesn't "eat" Matt's kayak like one does here. Very annoying. The kayaker, not the bear.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.be6ba3f4bcf3
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-25-2018 at 11:04 AM.

But still:
    If we go up to the ESTIMATED FINISH section (upper left) of Ray's tracker, it is remarkably more sophisticated than the LEADERBOARD or anything else on the R2AK. More to think about for Tracker Junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    But still:
    If we go up to the ESTIMATED FINISH section (upper left) of Ray's tracker, it is remarkably more sophisticated than the LEADERBOARD or anything else on the R2AK. More to think about for Tracker Junkies.
    Alternate reality.

In 1994, in probably the windiest SHTP, Stan Honey on his Cal-40 ILLUSION set the then mono-hull SHTP record of 11 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes. With over 125 Cal-40's having participated in various Trans-Pacific Races over the years, no one has beaten Stan's Cal-40 record since, crewed or singlehanded.

Though I hope I'm wrong, the Tracker estimation that RIFF RIDER will beat Stan's record by 3.5 hours is fantasy.

In '94, Stan also beat the first O-30 by 5 hours boat for boat, Bill Stange's INTENSE. Stange had previously held the mono-hull record of 11 days, 15 hours, since 1988 That's pretty incredible.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Is Jou Jou doing the right thing by staying south? I'm looking at weather and some models say it will get a little light on the north track. Not a lot but a little.
    I'm going to say yes. JouJou is doing really great. He and the other leaders don't have too much to worry about, but if you go to the WINDY display and advance the forecast to Friday, the high pressure/light air ridge advances and may present another wall of dead air to the back half of the fleet. If anything, JouJou could crack off even more and aim to cross the ridge in a few days along the 1024 mb contour. I haven't heard about any hurricanes to keep frightened sailors north yet!

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Massive misdirection.

What I remember about the 94' race is that Reed Overshiner sailed a IMF to HI in two weeks. That has to be a record for a Folkboat.

Quote Originally Posted by robtryon View Post
    What I remember about the 94' race is that Reed Overshiner sailed a IMF to HI in two weeks. That has to be a record for a Folkboat.
    Reed Overshiner finished in 14 days, 18 hours, a 6 knot average. Astonishing for a Folkboat. One observation is with .75 knots of favorable current, he got about 18 extra miles free every day, 126 free miles/week, 252 miles for the race.

Current Tropical Depression Daniel, far south and east at 18Nx118W briefly became a TS yesterday. But as Daniel approaches cooler ocean temps near 20 N, he is rapidly dissipating and poses no threat to the SHTP fleet.

The vanguard of the SHTP fleet is approaching the SE lobe (ridge) of the EPAC High. RIFF RIDER to the north, CRINAN south. The winds have softened a bit, 16-18 knots, reefs are shaken out, and spinnakers considered.

The next stage of the race is entry into "Slot Cars" Pick your line well, because it will be hard to get south until further west without slowing significantly. RIFF RIDER looks to be cutting the corner pretty fine. I like CRINAN's position further south for maintaining breeze with room to starboard to heat things up.

Note to self: DOUBLE X's tracker speed and course reports are wildly inaccurate. PJ is cruising along at 6-9 knots at average COG of 237 m.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-26-2018 at 07:46 AM.