Page 267 of 628 FirstFirst ... 167217257263264265266267268269270271277317367 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Based on current tracker reports, here are approximate distances and sailing times behind DOUBLE-X the hounds are chasing the fox:

PASSAGES (93 miles), 12 hours; CRINAN (115 miles), 16 hours; NIGHTMARE (120 miles), 17 hours; RIFF RIDER (187 miles,) 27.5 hours.

DOUBLE-X owes CRINAN a whopping 48 seconds/mile or ~ 28 hours, 11 minutes for the course with 5 minute difference in start times taken into account.

It would seem CRINAN is currently the leader on corrected time.

Except for Cal-40 RIFF RIDER, the other top 4 boats were built in Santa Cruz....

This race is a long way from over.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-01-2018 at 10:10 AM.

In the SHTP, Don on CRINAN is only 131 miles astern of PJ on DOUBLE-X.

For DOUBLE-X to win, PJ has to gain ~16 miles/day on CRINAN for the remainder of the race.

To date, after 8 days of sailing, DOUBLE-X has been gaining, get this, ~ 16 miles/day on CRINAN.

Both boats are about the same length, but DOUBLE-X has 2 feet more waterline and is 1,800 pounds lighter.

CRINAN may have a compromised auto-pilot. Or not.

If things continue as they have been, CRINAN and DOUBLE-X could be within minutes of each other for the overall (corrected time) win.

In the meantime, if you are looking for an indestructible metal boat for the NW Passage, I know a field in Eastern Washington where you can pickup a good project boat for cheap. (Truck is optional.)

Name:  NW Passage.JPG
Views: 809
Size:  4.15 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-01-2018 at 07:26 PM.

It's full speed now for the fleet. Winds are 18-22 knots from the NE with plenty of squalls.

DOUBLE EXPRESSO briefly reports in, sounding busy, with less than 600 miles to go:

It's very squally. I think there may have been a few last night but this late afternoon there were 5, usually rain first then wind. I tried to feel the first few then set the autopilot on a course and closed the hatch. COG about 250T. Since then they just keep coming in ... The boat goes up to 11kts under what feels like wind alone. Then we drop to 7+ kts. Poled out 2 and full main. I took the 3 down to simplify cleaning up the mess, should something happen.

Don on CRINAN continues to impress, losing nothing to DOUBLE EXPRESSO overnight. Looking more like his race to lose, as he's only 17 hours behind DE and maintaining.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-02-2018 at 05:50 AM.

The RC is en route, Coomodore Dave via Seattle, moi following on United, Synthia tomorrow and Kristen after that, all hoping to arrive in time to buy mai tai ingredients. Oh, and to do other things as well, like unpack the big anchors from David’s beautifully built crate and to meet up w the Crane Boss, Larry Conklin, who is also the crash .... er ... committee boat boss. Thank goodness Al Germain will also be in Hanalei Bay because he was the only person who knew how to get the boat into and out of gear in 2016. AND of course Dave Morris of “engine by Dave” fame will fly in. No more need be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    The RC is en route, Coomodore Dave via Seattle, moi following on United, Synthia tomorrow and Kristen after that, all hoping to arrive in time to buy mai tai ingredients. Oh, and to do other things as well, like unpack the big anchors from David’s beautifully built crate and to meet up w the Crane Boss, Larry Conklin, who is also the crash .... er ... committee boat boss. Thank goodness Al Germain will also be in Hanalei Bay because he was the only person who knew how to get the boat into and out of gear in 2016. AND of course Dave Morris of “engine by Dave” fame will fly in. No more need be said.
    "No more need be said?" Understatement. I'll say more.

The bi-ennial Singlehanded Transpac Traveling Circus is coming to Hanalei. Besides the racers, this is an amazing rendezvous of people, support gear, and experience, unrivaled anywhere.

Here are just a few things now assembling in Hanalei.

The SHTP Race Committee, complete with its own Commodore, Finish Committee, Welcoming Committee, and radio gear.

The shipping crates, filled with goodies and trophies for everyone.

A welcoming and "follow me" boat, thanks to Larry C.

A crash pad just inland from the beach and finish line range. A lookout house and radio relay station on the Princeville Cliff.

A sail repair crew and equipment, thanks to Synthia and Beetle.

A reporter, journalist, and analyst.

A palm tree, shade, table and sunset for evening get togethers, aka "Tree Time."

A trophy presentation dinner complete with speeches and something for everyone.

A mile long, half moon shaped, tan sand beach for strolling and finding land legs.

A dozen or more waterfalls, with rainbows, appearing at any time of day on the Pali cliffs ringing Hanalei Bay.

The nicest people in the world. SSS of SF Bay, you rock!
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-02-2018 at 05:11 PM.

A brief e-mail from DOUBLE EXPRESSO raises more questions than answers. Reading between PJ's lines only partially hints at what is going on. The AP failed? What happened then? Why change from the #2 to #3? How was the headfoil damaged? Sheesh.

"It's been a crazy morning. Autopilot went off. It's back on and also charging batteries now with generator. #3 poled out, full main. Will put #2 back up after charging. It did damage the Tuffluff grove in a few places. Should still work ..
    A little tired ... But good progress last night.
    PJ

Well, here I am at the Lihue airport. The big question: get on the bus for only 25 cents or wait for the commodore, who has rented a car? Hope it’s a corvette! Mahalo this, mahalo that! Everyone is happy to be here. I’m not in Oakland anymore! What a good place to end up after sailing! And I’m not even in Hanalei Bay yet!
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Loving this color commentary and analysis, especially from Sled! Without it, I probably would have just checked the tracker once or twice and thought "The circles are moving toward Hawaii. E is winning. I'll wait for the Lat38 write up."

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    Loving this color commentary and analysis, especially from Sled! Without it, I probably would have just checked the tracker once or twice and thought "The circles are moving toward Hawaii. E is winning. I'll wait for the Lat38 write up."
    Ha! Christine won’t be here today! And Latitude doesn’t come out every day or 24/7 like people on this forum! Plus Latitude is edited! This isn’t! Over the loudspeaker the recorded message is “ have a safe and secure life and return soon” You don’t hear that at Oakland airport! Now where’s that corvette?
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-02-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Hope Jackie found her Corvette and chauffeur. If you can't arrive at Hanalei by boat, Jackie and the Commodore are proving you can arrive in style.

Also, gaining style points at the tail end of the fleet, MORNING STAR just crossed half-way. MS's displacement should increasingly help as Lee schusses downhill:

Do you think an autopilot can outsail an experienced handsteering helmsperson when surfing downwind? I don't think so, especially when the AP is attempting to hold a compass course. The fastest way downwind is an "S" course, surfing to leeward on a wave, heading up for pressure as the wave passes, surfing to leeward on the next wave, always leaving the wave before it leaves you (by the lee.)
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-02-2018 at 09:03 PM.