Page 268 of 627 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Online news relayed from the SHTP fleet has been sparse to non-existent. I accidentally found the Bay Area online news forum Pressure Drop is publishing some reports from the boats I hadn't seen. If you wish to read further than the SHTP Forum, go seek out Pressure Drop at http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...st-SHTP-Update

It is not unexpected the two fastest rated boats, the Olson 30's DOUBLE EXPRESSO and PASSAGES, are leading the SHTP fleet. What is interesting is both skippers have sailed almost the minimum number of miles from SF to Kauai, shorter than any other boats in the fleet by a lot. At times, the tracker shows these two boats going straight, Dead Down Wind (DDW), for hundreds of miles with only minimum alteration to course.

DDW on an ultralight is not the traditional fastest way to Hawaii. Sailing extra miles but reaching up for pressure/speed is, helping the ULDB accelerate to surfing/planing potential, which can be several knots higher than theoretical "hull speed" downwind. (Hull speed doesn't exist for ULDB's).

So how are DOUBLE-X and PASSAGES able to maintain nearly an 8 knot average DDW while sailing singlehanded? Both PJ and Dave have bowed to their relative inexperience with spinnakers in ocean waves and are sailing exclusively with poled out jibs, preferring the simplicity and reliability of that rig to the uncertainties of a spinnaker.

Also likely factored into the non-spinnaker equation is the distance lost every time a sail change is made. Weight on the bow, bald headed in the fore-triangle, dealing with spinnaker nets, the inability of autopilots to steer with a spinnaker in a squall on a ULDB ....

Not saying this poled out jib technique is the future of singlehanded sailing. For example, Cal-40's with good AP's and instrumentation such as NOZUMI, GREEN BUFFALO, and ILLUSION, and expert and experienced sailing skills of skippers like Rob, Jim, and Stan, can carry spinnakers all the way to Hawaii, day/night, squalls, come what may.

It's part of what's fun about racing solo to Hawaii: different things can float your boat and there is more than one "right way" to get downwind.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2018 at 05:02 AM.

Yes, it's quite a strange race to see these modulated speeds from the surfers, but I am not out there and in their fatigue. At least the ULDB surfers are a somewhat level field amongst themselves - somewhat the spirit of this race, come with what you have in boat and experience.

I am envious of the 2-3 days of "surfs up" conditions, though. I never got those. In 2014, I was happy to be in squalls and could not get enough of them. A wet grin, sideways view (rods work better at night), and hand driving "S" patterns were both fun and scary. One particular night squall, I was surfing rather blind (could barely make out white wave wash) and relied on the wind vane and changes in boat speed to prevent a submarine into the back of a wave.

I expect Phillipe will accelerate ahead as the stronger winds will reach him soon.

I expect some stories from this quiet group, too!

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Online news relayed from the SHTP fleet has been sparse to non-existent. I accidentally found the Bay Area online news forum Pressure Drop is publishing some reports from the boats I hadn't seen. If you wish to read further than the SHTP Forum, go seek out Pressure Drop at http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...st-SHTP-Update
    Sled,
    I think Pressure Drop is just reposting what’s being posted by the RC on the NEWS section of the SHTP website at http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/blog/ plus data from the tracker.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Sled,
    I think Pressure Drop is just reposting what’s being posted by the RC on the NEWS section of the SHTP website at http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/blog/ plus data from the tracker.
    Tom
    Thanks, Tom! Hitting "refresh" has updated my NEWS site, which was 9 days stale. Now I know "the rest of the story." PJ going backwards to Hawaii may not be a good look. At least he got turned back around. There is truth to the old adage "Keep the pointy end forward."

I have the same issue (needing to refresh the page each time). It's always been that way with Christine and Jonathan's site, NorCalSailing as well. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I have the same issue (needing to refresh the page each time). It's always been that way with Christine and Jonathan's site, NorCalSailing as well. Not sure why.
    Thanks for the reminder about NorCalSailing.com

I haven't visited in a long time!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Wow. Respect.

I just read Shad's reflection on why he is doing the SHTP on DARK HORSE. It is greatly moving and thanks to Shad's dedication and commitment has a happy ending. I'm just sorry that the Southerly Surge on Day 1 trapped DARK HORSE and her competitive skipper. It was only a matter of a mile and a few stray puffs whether you kept moving west. Or got stuck.

http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/2018/07...om-dark-horse/

We had light rain here in Capitola early this morning. Not drizzle but honest rain. No mention of precip by the NWS, although they are calling for arrival, beginning late tomorrow, of big southerly swells from current Cat 2 hurricane Fabio, southwest of Baja. Fabio will have no effect on the SHTP as he is too far east and south. But hopefully the wetness will help extinguish the out-of-control fires in Northern CA.

I had to laugh at Mike's recent experience on JACQUELINE of hearing pinging noises. Wrote Mike: "While catching some shut eye, I'm awoken by “ping, ping, ping, ping” what the hell is THAT!!!! Why its the mixer ball bearing in the MacLube can. Sir, fancy any lubrication today?"

I once had a similar, but different, experience short tacking WILDFLOWER through the pass at Raiatea. Somehow in the tool locker the lid on the can of WD-40 had come adrift, allowing the weight of a tool to press against the nozzle, filling the cabin with a fine, oily mist. As Mike says, "Fancy any lubrication today?"

They say you can use WD-40 for just about anything, including exterminating coackroaches, preventing snow buildup on your windows, lubing guitar strings, waterproofing shoes, cleaning and restoring license plates, removing barnacles from your boat bottom, catching more fish by spraying on lures and live bait, and renewing faded plastic furniture.

All the above may be true. But I really can't think of any good that came of WD-40 sprayed randomly inside a small boat cabin.

Ah, the Joys.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2018 at 11:56 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    In general, your browser will cache the old content, and doesn't generally notice when a page has changed. One needs to hit the page refresh button manually.

I added a couple of plugins this morning, one that supposedly inhibits browser caching so that won't be such a problem, and one that displays the first picture of a news post with the short excerpt on the Home page. The Home page displays short excerpts (and now pics) for the 10 most recent news stories. I'm not sure if the anti-caching thing is actually working as it is hard to test.

I see that Ray has also done some behind the scenes work in the last few days to eliminate some of the annoying and weird popup behaviors of the embedded tracker. Thanks!

You guys are great and are really adding to the experience for us desk-bound SHTP junkies. I do have a question however.

How come when I switch to Satellite view and zoom all the way in, I can't see the actual boats?

Last edited by BobJ; 07-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Thanks Bob.

The pic excerpt thing is supposed to show on the first pic, but it seems like you see all the pics.

You get what you pay for .