Page 271 of 628 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321371 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    Looking at the estimated finishes, does it not appear that Rainbow will be the overall corrected winner (about 6 hrs ahead of Double Expresso)?
    RAINBOW, a catamaran, is handicapped under the MPPHRF, unlike the monos using SHTPR. RAINBOW will win her division and the Orcon Multi-hull trophy, but is not racing against the monos except for fun, and not eligible for overall corrected... That is my unofficial interpretation and has been true since the beginning.

This is RAINBOW's first, second, third, or fourth passage to Hawaii under Cliff's ownership? Prize for correct answer is a mai-tai with Synthia and Jackie at CBC.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-06-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

This is RAINBOW's first, second, third, or fourth passage to Hawaii under Cliff's ownership? Prize for correct answer is a mai-tai with Synthia and Jackie at CBC.
    Second.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    Second.
    Thank you, INTERMISSION, but this being the second passage to Hawaii for RAINBOW under Cliff's ownership is not the correct answer...

Don Martin arrived just before dark. Synthia has learned how to drive the Sea Squirrel, which is no small feat! It requires a certain combination of sensitivity and tough love. There have been some questions about our little boat, such as, why is the bilge full of water? Do we have to worry about that? Why don't the running lights work any more? Do we have to worry about that? On the one hand, Syn's special solar lanterns with the Halloween designs are very attractive. On the other, we don't want to draw the attention of the Coast Guard any sooner than necessary.

Last evening (or the evening before ... they all begin to run together now), the Commodore and I headed out for our midnight swim to the Sea Squirrel to collect one of those pesky singlehanded sailors. On the way to the water we met up with two Hanalei Bay police officers. They were gently discouraging people from staying overnight in park.

We were dressed for success in shorts and ratty shirts, with headlamps on our heads. David veered over to reassure the police officers that we were not planning to sleep in the park, but were instead planning to swim out to a small boat and greet a sailor. "Oh, okay" they responded. "Let us know if you need anything." Huh? Thank you, officers. How about a bigger boat with more reliable electronics and a pier to go with that?

When Synthia and I were shopping for mai tai fixins she had a list of requirements that included pineapple juice, orange juice, grenadine, two kinds of rum (one big bottle and one bigger bottle), pineapple stalks and lime. My ONLY requirement was paper umbrellas. "Nah," scoffed Synthia. "Besides, those are hard to find!" As indeed they were.

We wandered up and down every aisle of Costco in Lihue, then in Safeway Lihue. I drove to Princeville in search of umbrellas, and searched every aisle of every specialty store in Hanalei Bay. No umbrellas. What is wrong with this picture? I whined. Synthia rolled her eyes and ignored me as she sampled and refined the welcome mai tais.

Greg Ashby and I both climbed aboard Don Martin's Crinan II as he slowed to a stop in Hanalei Bay. The first thing Don asked was, "Where can I get a shower?" Greg Ashby and I both laughed. I asked Don whether he was ready for a mai tai. His response? "Will it have an umbrella?" This man who had just sailed across an ocean, who hand steered non stop for the past nineteen hours, shares my keen sense of tradition.

Name:  Unbrella.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  7.7 KB

I believe Cliff was already an SHTP vet. Then, I remember that he sailed from the South Seas to meet the SHTP 2014 Nut Jobs, so that's two, now he will be on his 3rd passage to Hawaii I think.

I will forever be indebted to Cliff for saving my boat from washing onto the East coral of Hanalei Bay. I was knocked out in dream land while Cliff and the other locals & passage makers secured my drifting boat in the wee dark hours of the morning.

The next day, I took the second anchor and with Brian's help put 2 down. I dived it regularly to check its grab.

Thanks Cliff!

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    I believe Cliff was already an SHTP vet. Then, I remember that he sailed from the South Seas to meet the SHTP 2014 Nut Jobs, so that's two, now he will be on his 3rd passage to Hawaii I think.

I will forever be indebted to Cliff for saving my boat from washing onto the East coral of Hanalei Bay. I was knocked out in dream land while Cliff and the other locals & passage makers secured my drifting boat in the wee dark hours of the morning.

The next day, I took the second anchor and with Brian's help put 2 down. I dived it regularly to check its grab.

Thanks Cliff!
    Thanks, Joe. Yes, this is RAINBOW's third passage to Hawaii under Cliff Shaw's ownership. His first in the 2012 SHTP, his second in 2014.

Our friend Cliff is good to have nearby on the ocean if you have trouble. In 2008 he received the Arthur B. Hanson Rescue Medal for the following rescue:

The Officers, Directors and Members of US SAILING are pleased to present the ARTHUR B. HANSON RESCUE MEDAL
    to Clifford Shaw & Gregory Yankelovich for the rescue as follows:Rainbow, a Crowther 10 Metre cat amaran owned and skippered by Clifford Shaw (Walnt Creek, Calif.), was twenty miles off the California mainland, in 12-foot seas, 50-degree water, and wind gusting to 30 knots, Rainbow was following the San Francisco Bay Area Multihull Association’s Doublehanded Farallones Race.

Shaw noticed a competing boat, Pterodactyl, sailing erratically near the Farallon Islands with no one on deck. He spotted two swimmers wearing inflated life jackets and threw them a Lifesling, but it fell short. He turned on his engines and circled the men until they grabbed the Lifesling. Shaw shut down the engines and with his crew, Gregory Yankelovich, pulled the men to the boat and helped them up the swim ladder. Rainbow chased Pterodactyl, which was sailing west, for 90 minutes until a Coast Guard 44-footer arrived on the scene. Neither crew wanted to risk boarding in these rough conditions. Shaw requested that the Coast Guard put Rainbow’s EPIRB (tracking transmitter) on Pterodactyl. The boat was subsequently spotted in the Pacific but not recovered and is presumed lost.

Name:  Hanson.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  6.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-07-2018 at 07:11 PM.

I watched CRINAN cross the finish and enter Hanalei Bay last evening on the webcam. Funny, I couldn't see much of a sail. Jackie reports " Don's main is literally in shreds. ."

Apparently there is no requirement to carry a spare main.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-09-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Oh, dear. To add injury to environmental insult of minimal moon illumination, the Southerly Surge that vexed the back markers of the SHTP on their first night/day is about to make a reappearance just in time for the Wed., Thurs., and likely Friday starts of the upcoming Pacific Cup from San Francisco to Kaneohe, Hawaii.

The Monday (tomorrow's) starters should be able to get clear of the Coast and out to the Windy Reach without complaint. This includes 7 Express-27's, six racing DH. The crews of Classes B,C,D, and E, starting 2,3, and 4 days later, (63% of the racing fleet) may have the unenviable choice of choosing port or starboard tack to get clear of the Coast.

If the Southerly Surge does appear, it likely will assure the Overall Corrected Time Winner comes from Monday's group of starters. This is the bargain one makes with the weather gods when starting (or finishing) over a 5 day period.

The 14 entrants in the Kolea Cruising Division of the Pac Cup should not be bothered with potentially light winds. Motoring is allowed at any time, for any length of time. Absurd as it sounds, potentially possible for a Pac Cup entrant in this division to cross the start line under power and motor out under the Golden Gate with sails furled. Don't want to miss the finish parties.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-08-2018 at 08:27 AM.

"
    Motoring is allowed at any time, for any length of time.
    Wow, I have obviously been out of the loop on this one!
    Are masts and sails required?