Page 272 of 628 FirstFirst ... 172222262268269270271272273274275276282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Spruit View Post
    "
    Wow, I have obviously been out of the loop on this one!
    Are masts and sails required?
    H~
    I am not about to parse the nuances of eligibility and requirements for the Pacific Cup. I don't see where masts are required. Perhaps they are assumed. Entrants are required to have storm sails, and at least one halyard that reaches the water.

In brief, the NOR says "The Pacific Cup is open to seaworthy monohull boats. Multihull boats may be accepted by specific request to PCYC. A boat must be seaworthy and capable of making a safe passage from San Francisco to Hawaii and return. Minimum length 23'9". Entrants will be required to comply with the Pacific Cup Equipment Requirements list."

"5.1 Cruising Division Boats entered in a Cruising Division are required to meet all requirements of racing boats except for ratings, and they may use any combination of sails and mechanical propulsion."

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~

Theoretically, if a boat in the Cruising Division were fast enough, and carried enough fuel, she could be First-to-Finish. But Pac Cup cruisers aren't eligible for trophies.

I once knew the delivery captain of a 45 foot sports fisher. He loaded his aft deck with fuel drums and made it to Hawaii in 4 days by taking position along the aft quarter and in the lee and smoothed waters created by a California to Hawaii container ship traveling at 20 knots. I kid you not.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-08-2018 at 01:01 PM.

The SHTP fleet's honest-to-god cowboy from Montana just finished on his DARK HORSE. Yiii Doggies, Congrats, Shad!
    Closely followed by Tom on JOUJOU. Way to go, Tom!

It's gonna be a busy afternoon for the Hanalei Finish crew. All hands on deck as JACQUELINE, DOLFIN, CRAZY RHYTHM, and IRIS make their final approach. During daylight. What a concept.

Here's a video of Commodore Herrigel and his SHTP finishing and welcoming crew doing their thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

And here's another SHTP finish at Hanalei, from another day, another year....12:22 PM, July 28, 2008. An original oil by Ruth Petroka, Synthia's mom, of WILDFLOWER, my home, consort, and magic carpet for 33 years, 1975-2008.

Name:  Wildflower7.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  315.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Except for well earned Tree Time at Hanalei Beach Park, the Prize Giving at Nawiliwili YC, and getting the boats home, the Singlehanded Transpac is Pau.

Congrats to All: the skippers, their support crews of significant others and friends. And especially to Brian and Dave and their all volunteer shore crews at both the SHTP Start and Finish for running this memorable race to Paradise. What a Team! You are heroes, all.

At the same time, 2,000 miles north and east, the Race2Alaska has also just concluded. 21 finishers of 32 starters.

It may seem unfair that in both this years SHTP and the R2AK it was winner take all. But it's the stories, memories, and friendships that will survive. An all woman's team sailing (and pedaling) a mono-hull wins the R2AK? Yup. A relative newbie to racing and ocean passage-making winning the SHTP?

Both winning crews in these diverse adventure races had something much in common, not only with each other, but with everyone in their fleets: Commitment.

I wouldn't have given 2 cents for some of the R@AK boats I saw in Port Townsend making it to Ketchikan. A Hobie 20 beach cat? An SUP? A cloth, take-apart kayak that could be portaged along the way? I just shook my head in wonder. Except for Josh on the SUP who suffered medical issues at half-way, those boats and others stuck the course.

Something to be said for determination. I saw it in everyone's eyes at the skippers meeting and on the docks at CYC before the start of the Singlehanded Transpac. Goodness knows I saw determination and commitment in Shad, Mike, Lee, Carliane, David, PJ, Don, Mike, and all the rest who have spent so much time, effort, money and commitment to make their dreams happen.

Well Done.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-10-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Default One more to go

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Except for well earned Tree Time at Hanalei Beach Park, the Prize Giving at Nawiliwili YC, and getting the boats home, the Singlehanded Transpac is Pau.
    Hi Skip - we still have one competitor on the course and he's closing in on Hanalei as I type: Morning Star was 52 miles out a couple of hours ago, and is due to cross the finish line this evening - then everyone should make it to Tree! Lee has been active on the SSB net and Morning Star a particularly strong signal - now he has nobody to talk with as his fellow SSB-group have already finished.

Should be fun to have him in! Hopefully we can pick him up on VHF later on this afternoon as he approaches Kauai.

- rob/beetle

PS - your analysis and commentary have been fantastic reading, thank you very much for adding all the history and crazy stories of races past. Somehow I suspect there are even more stories that would be fun to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Skip - we still have one competitor on the course and he's closing in on Hanalei as I type: Morning Star was 52 miles out a couple of hours ago, and is due to cross the finish line this evening - then everyone should make it to Tree! Lee has been active on the SSB net and Morning Star a particularly strong signal - now he has nobody to talk with as his fellow SSB-group have already finished.

Should be fun to have him in! Hopefully we can pick him up on VHF later on this afternoon as he approaches Kauai.
    - rob/beetle
    PS - your analysis and commentary have been fantastic reading, thank you very much for adding all the history and crazy stories of races past. Somehow I suspect there are even more stories that would be fun to hear!
    Hi Rob,
    Yes, I knew Lee on MORNING STAR is still at sea today, Tuesday, 17 days after the start. Just checking to see if anyone is paying attention...

Why do I think just about everyone associated with this year's SHTP will be at Tree Time and on Hanalei's beach sand this evening around sunset to welcome Lee and MORNING STAR across the finish and into the anchorage?

Lee will be coming into view on the right hand side of the webcam at https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...lei-bay-resort ), probably an hour before sunset. Check the tracker. He was 33 miles out at 10:17 HST, making 4.7 knots.

While awaiting the winner of the Perseverance Trophy to round Pu'u Poa Point, here is a trivia for drinks and pupus on the deck of the CBC for the first correct answer.

As odd as it may seem, which one (1) of the below is not true:

1) A lady singlehander went overboard, was dragged alongside for 12 hours, and lived to tell about it at Tree Time.
    2) A Coast Guard buoy tender once laid a red bell buoy for the Hanalei finish line.
    3) A wood boat designed in 1926 and built not much later once won the SHTP.
    4) Two vets of the SHTP married and celebrated their anniversary competing against each other.
    5) A tired SHTP competitor sailed right by Kauai and onward over the horizon before discovering no island.
    6) A blind sailor not only finished the SHTP, but trophied as well.
    7) A SHTP boat was invaded by aliens, causing the skipper to step off his boat.
    8) An Olson 30 sank off Hanalei, the skipper rescued.
    9) Ken Roper, the "General," reputedly carried a golf bag of spare autopilots.
    10) No schooners have ever completed the SHTP.

Ready, Set, Go
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-10-2018 at 04:17 PM.

A Toilet Seat 30 sank? Nah, I'm going with #8.

A Hobie 33 did hit the reef - I don't recall if it sank.

No.10

July 10, 2018 p.m.
    boy oh boy, has this been fun! Our new best friend Dennis of s/v Pamela was worn out by all the calls for his little dinghy. When it came time to go out to meet Lee on Morning Star, for the first time Dennis didn't answer the radio. So we pressed Rob Macfarlane into service one more time. He grumbled a bit, thinking that he should be getting ready for Tree Time, but we whined about getting wet and so off we went up the beach to where his little Tiger Cub Beetle waited for us on the bank of the River.

We needed a ride on Rob's dinghy because Larry Conklin told us we couldn't motor the Sea Squirrel up the River. He said motoring up the river is Too Dangerous. As if anything is too dangerous for Synthia.

So there we were, Synthia, Christine, Rob and me out to greet Lee. By the time Sea Squirrel met up with him inside the surf line Lee had his sails down and neatly flaked. He was motoring with his Monitor windvane steering because something happened to his autopilot. Lots of issues with autopilots this race. His cabin was clean and neat, his anchor was ready to go on the bow, on top of the most organized pile of flaked anchor chain and rode I'd seen all week.

As we approached the lovely Morning Star, his Valiant 32, Lee smiled broadly and raised both arms in exhilaration. "Aloha!" he cried.

"Welcome to Hanalei Bay!" We responded.

Christine noted that he was wearing jeans. Just sailed across an ocean and he's wearing jeans? He made this race look easy, for crying out loud. When we boarded Lee told us that he had had such a great time the last three days that he considered finishing the race then sailing on except that he was out of water. Something about cooking and washing dishes and bathing Huh. That cabin looked a whole lot different than the cabins of the 30 foot boats, I can attest to that.

So, in case anyone thought we had forgotten about Morning Star, I promise you we didn't. That's a man who loves his boat. It seemed like he almost forgot about us, he was having such a good time sailing it.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Hey guys,

I'm giving a seminar Friday on shorthand sailing to our work group (my boss caught me looking at the SHTP tracker at work, and so my secret history was revealed), and I was hoping someone could refresh me on the story of they guy who decided to commune with the aliens. I remember hearing it, but don't remember any details.

Part of my talk will be on safety, and its my recollection that there has never been a fatality in either the SHTP or the PacCup. I know we've had people drop out for heath reasons. I don't think this topic is covered in "Not a Yacht Club".

Thanks!

David

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    While awaiting the winner of the Perseverance Trophy to round Pu'u Poa Point, here is a trivia for drinks and pupus on the deck of the CBC for the first correct answer.
    As odd as it may seem, which one (1) of the below is not true:

1) A lady singlehander went overboard, was dragged alongside for 12 hours, and lived to tell about it at Tree Time.
    2) A Coast Guard buoy tender once laid a red bell buoy for the Hanalei finish line.
    3) A wood boat designed in 1926 and built not much later once won the SHTP.
    4) Two vets of the SHTP married and celebrated their anniversary competing against each other.
    5) A tired SHTP competitor sailed right by Kauai and onward over the horizon before discovering no island.
    6) A blind sailor not only finished the SHTP, but trophied as well.
    7) A SHTP boat was invaded by aliens, causing the skipper to step off his boat.
    8) An Olson 30 sank off Hanalei, the skipper rescued.
    9) Ken Roper, the "General," reputedly carried a golf bag of spare autopilots.
    10) No schooners have ever completed the SHTP.
    Jonathan wins drinks and pupus on the CBC deck. Only #10 is not true. The beautiful black hulled Peterson schooner THALES competed and finished the first SHTP, 1978. As for #'s 1-9, they are factual.

Though details are sparse, #7 happened in the 2000 SHTP aboard SPACE COWBOY, a "bargain basement" Hobie 33 that had been wrecked on Lake Tahoe and rebuilt.

Name:  SpaceCowboy.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  22.1 KB

When 400 miles out of Hanalei, SPACE COWBOY's skipper radioed the RC he had damaged rigging. The RC notified the CG. The next thing anyone knows is SPACE COWBOY's skipper abandoned ship, fortunately with his EPIRB in his raft.

The EPIRB signal triggered a search by Coast Guard and Air Force aircraft, and the raft was sighted by a search plane who directed a Navy frigate 50 miles away to retrieve SPACE COWBOY's skipper, where he was taken aboard and returned to the ship's homeport of Everett, Washington.

Another SHTP competitor aboard the O-30 STILL CRAZY temporarily abandoned the Race and went in hunt for SPACE COWBOY, which he intended to tow to port. The skipper of STILL CRAZY never found SPACE COWBOY and resumed his voyage to Hanalei.

Though I do not know the source, legend has it SPACE COWBOY's skipper, a software developer from San Leandro, heard voices which prompted his abandoning ship. Whether true or not, I could certainly understand a combination of sun, heat, dehydration, sleep deprivation, boat motion and noise, and possibly drugs may have contributed.

As far as I know, no one has ever heard further from SPACE COWBOY's skipper as to what happened.

Perhaps SoloSailor, Harrier, or Foxx Fyre, who were all in the 2000 SHTP, could shed more light on the incident.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-12-2018 at 10:58 AM.