Page 283 of 628 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir

Name:  Tuolumne9.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  767.5 KB

Name:  Tuolumne7.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  766.8 KB

Name:  Tuolumne4.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  774.3 KB

Name:  Tuolumne1.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  839.6 KB

Name:  Tuolumne2.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  665.9 KB

Photos compliments of Ann, expedition to Yosemite High Country, 9.9.18 - 9.16.18
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.

That's Tenaya Lake, I think. Well, a couple of pictures are Tenaya. I don't recognize the second lake. I've never actually walked along the Tenaya shore at that end. Next week we are going to Mammoth, and hiking every day. Two days will be on trails we were on last year but one day will be on a trail we haven't walked since 1995.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Capt Bob and MJ are vacationing somewhere in Washington State and currently occupy the cottage in photo below.

Name:  FHSJI.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  527.9 KB

At a dock nearby is a most lovely 50 foot yawl, built in 1953.

Name:  BigTI.JPG
Views: 839
Size:  178.3 KB

What is the name or location of the harbor?
    What is the name of the rustic boatyard/marina in the background?
    What is the name of the 50 foot yawl?
    Who is the designer of the yawl?

One correct answer wins Golden Spurtle breakfast at Capitola Boat Club with Synbad and Sleddog.
    Two correct answers wins breakfast, and a history walk to the Cliff.
    Three correct answers wins breakfast, a history walk, and viewing humpback whale cavorting just offshore.
    Four correct answers wins all the above, plus introduction to two precocious Brazilian parrots, Sunny and Mango.

Ready, Set, Go.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-20-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Capt Bob and MJ are vacationing somewhere in Washington State and currently occupy the cottage in photo below.
    At a dock nearby is a most lovely 50 foot yawl, built in 1953.

1) What is the name or location of the harbor?
    2) What is the name of the rustic boatyard/marina in the background?
    3) What is the name of the 50 foot yawl?
    4) Who is the designer of the yawl?

Ready, Set, Go.
    1) Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA (a truly wonderful place, very worth visiting)
    2) Albert Jensen & Son Shipyard / Jensen Boat Yard and Marina
    3) TIOGA (formerly: CONDOR, NUNAGA, GEMINI, and TEMPTING (this one took me a while, I was working on my boat today and looking only at the small screen on my phone. It wasn't until I got home and saw a larger image that it came to me).
    4) K. Aage Nielsen (I should have known...) Interestingly, she was built at Canter Baglietto, in Varazze, Italy

And for extra points... you too can rent that same cottage through VRBO. https://www.vrbo.com/574563

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    1) Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA (a truly wonderful place, very worth visiting)
    2) Albert Jensen & Son Shipyard / Jensen Boat Yard and Marina
    3) TIOGA (formerly: CONDOR, NUNAGA, GEMINI, and TEMPTING (this one took me a while, I was working on my boat today and looking only at the small screen on my phone. It wasn't until I got home and saw a larger image that it came to me).
    4) K. Aage Nielsen (I should have known...) Interestingly, she was built at Canter Baglietto, in Varazze, Italy

And for extra points... you too can rent that same cottage through VRBO. https://www.vrbo.com/574563

Tom
    Congrats, DAZZLER! 4 correct answers. We look forward to hosting you at Capitola Boat Club for a Golden Spurtle breakfast, history walk, whale review and parrot introduction.

This afternoon the humpbacks, maybe 6-7, were feeding in close, maybe 100 yards off China Beach. SUP's, kayakers, and whale watch boats were vying for who could get closest. Someone's gonna get hurt, and it probably won't be the whale. Three years ago a humpback whacked and dismasted a Moore-24 when leading the Moore 24 championships off Santa Cruz. The Moore, not the whale.

What color do you think the whale-slapped Moore-24 is, and why would this potentially piss off a humpback?
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-21-2018 at 10:23 AM.

The Moore 24 was black with a white bottom, it is believed the humpback took it for an orca.
    Can't regmember the name at the moment, was nicknamed bitch slap.
    Boat is Eclipse.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 09-20-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    The Moore 24 was black with a white bottom, it is believed the humpback took it for an orca.
    Can't remember the name at the moment, was nicknamed bitch slap.
    Boat is Eclipse.
    Name:  bitch slap.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  133.7 KB

Brings up interesting question: "can whales see in color?" (And identify potentially threatening orcas, whose color scheme is black and white.)

In 2002, about halfway from Hawaii to Santa Cruz, a lone bull sperm whale, guessing 50-60 feet LOA, surfaced alongside WILDFLOWER, feet away on the starboard side. I was making 5 knots on a close reach. The sperm's monstrous blunt head came out of the water, and examined my 27 footer with a plate sized eye. The encounter lasted about a minute, after which time he slowly submerged. My heart was thumping. This was definitely an intelligent creature, the largest brain on Earth, who had likely seen it all...and remembered. A privileged encounter. But not one I would wish to repeat.

Name:  sperm.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  44.7 KB

Some have asked how to identify a sperm whale at sea. They are the only cetacean whose spout "blows" at a forward angle.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...it-see/274448/
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-21-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Eclipse was formerly Scott Easom's Eight Ball (hence the color). It used to win so often that many called it a Moore 25.

If you want to sail trans-ocean while sitting at home, this 6.4 foot robotic craft (controlled from shore), claims to have become the first zero-hander to cross the Atlantic from Newfoundland to Ireland to win the Microtransat Challenge. The SBMET went 1800 miles in 80 days = .9 knots. I believe the east flowing Gulf Stream current runs faster than that. After 20 unsuccessful attempts by other craft, this sounds like a successful drift, about the speed of a Vellela vellela... Someone might want to get a taller rig and some SSS sailors at the controls to try again. Calling Brian B. and Michael J., white courtesy phone please.

Name:  Robot1.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  Robot 2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  65.7 KB

I ain't sayin' nuthin' specific, but I've seen something under construction that is gonna be a LOT faster than a velella velella.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"