Page 286 of 628 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336386 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'll guess it's an aerodynamic masthead float to keep WF from turtling.
    Having experienced the unpleasantness and expense of my catamaran mast going from vertical to fully inverted in a matter of seconds, I deemed it prudent to investigate masthead floats.

My first attempt was mounting two auto-inflate PFD's in a protective bag attached to the masthead. Also included was a swimming pool foam noodle stuffed inside the masthead. Total buoyancy was about 55 pounds. Unfortunately, twice at rest, in extended dry weather, a PFD inflated, leaving itself dangling high out of reach.

Name:  Masthead.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  255.9 KB

Simultaneously, good friend Russell Brown of PT Watercraft in Port Townsend, was experimenting with mast floats for his Gougeon-32 cat INCOGNITO. To replace his 7 pound "dirigible," Russ built an exquisite "Blimpie" that weighed in at 4.5 pounds, had an internal radar reflector, and rotated.

Name:  Blimpie2.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  26.7 KB

Blimpie saved Russell's bacon when INCOGNITO capsized in the rugged 2016 Round-the-County Race, and Russ was able to right his boat alone, without damage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912H94--Xas Russell has gone on to complete two singlehanded R2AK races and return on INCOGNITO, and holds the R2AK singlehanded record time.

Across PT town, Brandon at Turn Point Design had built himself an all carbon, sleek and fast, 26' cat FELIX for the R2AK. At FELIX's masthead was a flat and streamlined UFO float, totally different in shape, and even lighter than INCOGNITO's Blimpie.

Name:  mastfloat7.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  83.5 KB

Recently, when Russell told me Brandon was building a new, lighter mast and mast float for FELIX, a deal was consumated with Brandon for his now surplus mast float, and I have mounted it on WILDFLOWER's masthead, complete with a Windex and burgee bracket. The UFO float is a single layer of 6 oz. carbon cloth and foam, weighs 3.5 pounds, and provides 60 pounds of buoyancy.

Name:  mastfloat4.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  520.1 KB Name:  mastfloat5.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  410.7 KB

Congrats, BobJ, you have won the Macapuno!
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-18-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I was twitterpated over Surprise! at the time and have a nagging feeling that you told me about this plan while standing in your driveway.

If so, I join Howard and accept a DSQ.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-24-2018 at 09:11 AM.

I was twitterpated over Surprise! at the time and have a nagging feeling that you told me about this plan while standing in your driveway.

If so, I join Howard and DSQ.
    If so, can I have Bob’s macapuno?

If so, I join Howard and DSQ.
    Technically, RAF, me thinks...
    DH

Local interests in Santa Cruz have a wary eye as Category 4 Hurricane Willa approaches landfall tomorrow on the west coast of Mainland Mexico, just north of San Blas, between Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Here are current observations, Monday, 10/22/18, for friends in the village of Yelapa, 18 miles southwest of Puerto Vallarta:

Over very warm waters of 83.5 degrees, Willa has strengthend to Cat. 4, and may become low Cat 5 (>155 mph sustained winds) before making landfall Tuesday night/Wed morning. Willa's track takes her over the Tres Marias and ashore about halfway between San Blas and Mazatlan, about 60 miles north of Banderas Bay.
    Banderas Bay is under a Tropical Storm Warning, meaning winds 40-70 miles/hour in exposed areas like Punta Mita. Rainful will be the big issue for Banderas Bay, southwards, with valleys concentrating high rain accumulations into likely flooding.
    Though Yelapa will be protected from most of Willa's effects, I would not underestimate the potential for damaging rain. Already, clouds from Willa are increasing overhead.
    Name:  Willa.png
Views: 683
Size:  74.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-22-2018 at 08:16 AM.

10/23/18 6 AM
    Hurricane Willa is currently passing just just north of the Tres Marias Islands, about 70 miles west-northwest of Banderas Bay/Yelapa. Willa remains on track to make landfall this evening well north of Banderas Bay and San Blas, about 40 miles south of Mazatlan in farming country near town of Teacapan. Intensity, briefly a Cat 5, now a Cat 4, is weakening and will likely be a Cat 3 (115 mph) on landfall. With Willa passing, Yelapa is on the outer perimeter of tropical storm conditions. Wind and seas should be much less a factor. More likely rain showers from the outer bands of Willa will fall in coastal areas today and tonight. Both Mazatlan and PV Airports are forecast to remain open today. No word on Panga schedules.

Power is currently out in Yelapa Village, not an unusual event. The normally placid "cascadia" (waterfall) in town, where one can have a cervaza and swim in the pool is a raging torrent. Check out this 15 sec video. The buildings are the little restaurants at the base of the waterfall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yOlHI9bAkA

Name:  groundhog.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  121.1 KB

Apparently the sailing trivia proffered on this site has been overly challenging, and potential winners have fallen by the wayside, leaving a quart of Marianne's Macapuno still on the table.

To minimize discrimination, here is a question of importance. What is the common name of the above pictured animal? No, it is not a whistle-pig. Or is it? And why is this animal important to all SSS members?

This creature is lovable and affectionate. But you don't want to pick it up. Why? For a bonus scoop of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia with the Macapuno, True or False, this creature caused McDonalds to change the design of their ice cream containers.

I think a "whistle pig" is a groundhog or marmot. That's a hedgehog and true, German hedgehogs caused Mac's to change the McFlurry lids. And it looks like those quills are sharp.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-538125.html

But I don't know why hedgehogs are important to SSS'ers. Because they hibernate, perhaps a wandering hedgehog seen around the time we're waiting for 3BF results might indicate that the Corinthian and Round-the-Rocks races will have crummy weather?
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-24-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Name:  groundhog.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  121.1 KB And why is this animal important to all SSS members?
    My understanding is that Herrigel is German for young hedgehog. How do I know this? David told me that is why he has named his new boat Hedgehog. Insider trading? Maybe so. Regardless, I'm coming down to the Capitola Boat Club on Thursday to collect my ice cream.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-23-2018 at 08:33 PM.

I think a "whistle pig" is a groundhog or marmot. That's a hedgehog and true, German hedgehogs caused Mac's to change the McFlurry lids. And it looks like those quills are sharp.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-538125.html

But I don't know why hedgehogs are important to SSS'ers. Perhaps because they hibernate, a wandering hedgehog seen around the time we're waiting for 3BF results might indicate that the Corinthian and Round-the-Rocks races will have crummy weather.
    Good Grief! BobJ has won the bonus scoop of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia for correctly identifying a hedgehog, and noting it is not a "whistle-pig," the nickname for a groundhog. And hedgehogs are responsible for McDonalds redesigning their ice cream cups, as their little hedgehog heads would get stuck inside the lids, and the poor things would starve.

Name:  hedgehog1.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  7.0 KB Name:  hedgehog2.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  10.0 KB Name:  hedgehog3.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  12.0 KB

This is not the Sunday NY Times Crossword Puzzle. And that unclaimed quart of Macapuno will begin to melt soon. So why has the Hedgehog been important to SSSers? While typing this, Jackie has answered correctly that our SSS Commodore's name translates as "Mr. Hedgehog." And for one thing, without Commodore Hedgehog, all the SHTP trophies and belt buckles would have been melted down to satisfy some asinine legal claim over SSS's use of the word "Transpac," recently copyrighted by another race.

We will be serving Jackie her Macapuno after lunch at CBC on Thursday.

And as the Pleasure Point Nitefighters say, "Pack Your Trash."

And congrats and kudos to retiring Commodore Hedgehog on a job well done!
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-24-2018 at 05:37 PM.