Page 287 of 628 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Whoah, whoah whoah.... back up.

The "TransPac" as in the TransPacific Yacht Club, a paper entity, itself, made a legal claim against the SSS over the word "TransPac" in the "Singlehanded TransPac"?

You all have to be joking.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Whoah, whoah whoah.... back up.

The "TransPac" as in the TransPacific Yacht Club, a paper entity, itself, made a legal claim against the SSS over the word "TransPac" in the "Singlehanded TransPac"?

You all have to be joking.
    It is difficult to see how they could enforce such a claim, having stood by doing nothing about it since 1978. How many times has Latitude 38 used the term in reference to our race? Has to be thousands. No one at TPYC reads Latitude? If they have filed a trade mark or copyright claim it would be subject to challenge. If the SSS wanted to mount such a challenge, I for one would be happy to chip in money for the fight.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Since the hedgehog hasn't responded yet, I'll chip in briefly.

The SSS went two rounds on this, against some pretty heavy hitters. A settlement was reached which apparently resolved the issue. Since this is a public forum it would be best to make inquiries directly to the board.

I am absolutely, completely gobsmacked at the depth and breadth of such stupidity.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

It made some sense when you understand the back story. Kudos to the board and influential SSS friends for getting it resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It made some sense when you understand the back story. Kudos to the board and influential SSS friends for getting it resolved.
    Well, not knowing the back story or the terms of settlement, I'll continue to refer my summer 2018 adventure as the Singlehanded Transpac until I'm served with a restraining order.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I will too - it will always be the Singlehanded TransPac to those of us who've raced it.

I don't know the details but my recollection from conversation is it has more to do with how it's promoted in the future. An over-zealous promoter of another race mucked it up for the SSS.

After lunch yesterday on the sunny CBC race deck, Jackie shared her winning quart of Macapuno with aspiring CBC members. She even brought a lovely fruit pie....afterwords, we walked to the Cliff for the afternoon porpoise show. Good stuff.

Name:  macapuno.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  2.04 MB

I will too - it will always be the Singlehanded TransPac to those of us who've raced it.
    So it sounds like we got bullied to no longer call it the "Singlehanded Transpac"?? So what is the outcome? Was it the "Transpac" abbreviation or Transpacific or both they had a problem with?

As John Rousmaniere, longtime sailor, Safety at Sea instructor, and author of many sailing books has written, " The most important piece of safety equipment is a healthy, fit sailor."

Exercise can take many forms. Over the years I've enjoyed running, climbing, hiking, and competitive rowing. These days it's more walking and biking. Next month I go into dry dock for knee replacement.

A recent day trip to a local National Park provided a fun hike. Not many have visited Pinnacles National Park in Central California, 30 miles south of Hollister. It's a beautiful place, not far away (1 hour, 20 minutes from Santa Cruz) with inspiring rock formations, caves, and a resident population of ~ 40, captive bred, condors, the largest North American land bird.

Name:  pinnacles5.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  131.1 KB

In the spring wildflowers abound, and the hills become a riot of color. Name:  pinnacles4.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  12.4 KB

Summer is too hot for visiting, but fall and winter are perfect. There is a large campground, small store, even a pool. During our weekday visit, the road and trails were nearly empty.

Name:  pinnacles1.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  637.9 KB

Name:  Pinnacles3.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  pinnacles6.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  83.0 KB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacles_National_Park
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-29-2018 at 06:50 PM.