Page 288 of 628 FirstFirst ... 188238278284285286287288289290291292298338388 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

After lunch yesterday on the sunny CBC race deck, Jackie shared her winning quart of Macapuno with aspiring CBC members. She even brought a lovely fruit pie....afterwords, we walked to the Cliff for the afternoon porpoise show. Good stuff.

The same Jackie was spotted by this author people watching at RYC after Saturday's Great Pumpkin bouy races. No grass growing on her wheels. SDK

As a new RYC member, she was also seen aboard the Pelican, helping the Great Pumpkin R/C.

I wonder if she brought them lemon things.

Name:  Jackie Pelican.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  205.3 KB

John "Owl" Woodworth was "conducting" the race:

Name:  John Pelican.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  137.5 KB

Photos are from Richmond Yacht Club photographers via SmugMug.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-30-2018 at 07:22 PM.

vote!

The posts about Surprise! have been moved to the Surprise! thread in Shorthanded Sailing.

I didn't want to keep spamming Sled's thread.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.

With the recent nice weather, and knee replacement scheduled in 6 days time, I decided re-nonskidding WF's 200 square foot deck was a now or never proposition. I chose now, and set to the task.

First job was to wash the deck with Ajax, a rough scouring pad, and bristle brush. Then the choice of removing, masking taping, or coating with Vaseline deck equipment. A fourth option, free-handing with an angled paint brush was also an option. I chose a combination of the 3, leaving Vaseline out of the picture as too messy.

Then roughing up the previous paint was in order. I mostly used 220 and 320 grit sandpaper. The above projects took about a week, mostly on my knees. My finger tips now lack finger prints.

Then spreading the paint began. I used Interlux one-part polyurethane Brightside, color Seattle Grey. Into this I stirred finely ground walnut shells, available at most paint stores as a non-slip additive. I originally began with a foam roller. But quickly changed to a brush, which gave a more uniform surface and was easier to work around corners.

It took about a week to paint sections of deck, cabin house, and cockpit, as well as getting paint off myself. 3.5 quarts of Brightside was what it took for two coats. The new non-skid would dry overnight, allowing me to gently tread on painted sections while prepping for the next step. The second coat was thinned more and had less grit added than the first coat. I'm thankful squirrels racing on the nearby fence didn't attempt to jump onto the deck.

All in all, a satisfying project about to reach completion. Though I will never be joining the Painters Union!

Name:  painting.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  29.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-13-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Well done, Sleddog! Pictures?

Best wishes for the drydocking session.

C&V&C

Any reason you didn't use Interlux "Interdeck" which comes in gray with non-skid?

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Any reason you didn't use Interlux "Interdeck" which comes in gray with non-skid?
    Interlux "Interdeck" only has a dark gray, which would make my ship look too naval. Seattle Gray is light blue, the previous deck color, which I liked. By adding my own crushed walnut shell non-skid powder to the paint, I was able to vary the degree of friction according to the area of use. Nothing like having really rough non-skid right where you sit

Name:  Interdecdk.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  168.6 KB

Thanks Magic Dreamers for the good drydock wishes. I just built myself a walker using skateboard parts, so should be up and running in no time, hihi. Here's the requested pics.

Name:  wILDFLOWER8.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  400.6 KB

Name:  Wildflower9.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  394.4 KB

Name:  Wildflower10.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  388.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-14-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Though nowhere near as bad as the SF Bay area, fire smoke here in Monterey Bay is pretty thick. Hopefully rain due on Wednesday will put out the fire and clear the atmosphere.

When IMP first made her public debut the afternoon before the first SORC Race of 1977, the hundreds of onlookers at the St Pete Yacht Club Marina went hush. Nobody had seen a paint job like IMP's before. It was something special.

Name:  IMP3.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  106.8 KB

For a quart of Marianne's Kahlua Krunch ice cream donated by SSS Staff Commodore Hedgehog, what was the inspiration for IMP's revolutionary color scheme?

Was it
    1) A stunning aerial photo of the Bora Bora Lagoon in French Polynesia.
    2) The cover of the August, 1975 Laguna Beach Arts Festival program.
    3) The lid of a jar of Ponds Cold Cream.
    4) The cover of the Sept. 1976 Christian Science Sentinel.
    5) A Tahitian pareu bought as a present on Moorea.
    6) The French REVOLUTION, a very fast 36 footer of the early '70's painted in shades of red.
    7) Painting of a Surrey millpond by George Boyce.
    8) A critically endangered species of colored tarantula, the Poecilotheria metallica "Peacock spider."

Winner, winner chicken dinner will be announced Friday, Nov. 23. In the event of multiple winners, multiple spoons will be issued. Happy Thanksgiving all!
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-19-2018 at 09:08 AM.

I hope it's #8 because that one is the most intriguing. I'd not heard of this kind of spider and information on it says: Intriguing about the genus is their typical resting pose. With the first two leg pairs forward, the last two leg pairs backward and an angry look, they’re sending a clear message: “Don’t come too close!”

And also....

The name “Poecilotheria” is derived from the Greek “poikilos” (spotted) and “therion” (wild beast).
    Last edited by Gamayun; 11-18-2018 at 07:13 PM.