Page 294 of 628 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304344394 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Two more, to show some details...
    Name:  IMG_0925-small.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  480.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0930-small.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  442.7 KB
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

And finally....Name:  IMG_0934-small.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  513.0 KB

Now I need to paint the rest of the trailer!! It's ugly but 20x stronger than it was.

Name:  IMG_0935-small.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  508.1 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-16-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Trailer repair looks sufficient! Did you get downhill? What boat is this?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Trailer repair looks sufficient! Did you get downhill? What boat is this?
    Skip, this boat is a Piper One Design. The boat is more or less a shrunk-down 6 meter, designed by David Boyd. Who is David Boyd, you may ask? Well, look here: https://classicyachtinfo.com/2016/12...fe-david-boyd/

The Clyde river passes by Glasgow in Scotland and then flows roughly NW for about ten miles, widening as it goes. It then makes an enormous U-turn, more-or-less, and the Firth of the Clyde continues SW for another ten or fifteen miles before meeting the Atlantic. At the apex of that U-turn there are two lochs which reach up from the Clyde into the hills. One is the Gare Loch, home of the British North Atlantic nuclear submarine fleet. This is near the towns of Helensburgh and Rosneath, on the other side of the Loch. The "Gareloch Goddesses"...the Gareloch One Designs, race on the Gare Loch. These are stunningly pretty 24-foot wooden one designs, all 16 of them.

Here's the class website - http://garelochod.org/

and here's a Gareloch Goddess...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/477/19...95e5db42_b.jpg

With 16 of these extant, there was no way I was ever going to own one of the Goddesses, and besides, my wallet isn't thick enough.

The other two boats are the Loch Long One Design, as the "other" loch that runs northwards from the bend in the Clyde is Loch Long....and the Piper One Design. I would love a Loch Long One Design but there's only one in the USA, it's in New York rotting away in a barn and in terrible condition. It will require a complete rebuild which is both beyond my woodworking skills, time and budget.

Well, about 8 months ago I happened to be looking at Craigslist in the Gold Country and to my shock, a "Piper 24 sailboat" was advertised. I looked at it closely.... it sure LOOKED like a Piper One Design. I e-mailed and called about it. Sure enough, that's what it was. There were 57 boats originally built. About 3 have been wrecked. Seven came to the USA. Two are in the Caribbean, and about seven more went to Africa, as recreational boats to be sailed by employees of a petroleum company. The African boats are gone, or whereabouts unknown. Of the two in North America, one is in Texas. The others??? And the other one is now sitting on a rebuilt trailer in Nevada City. NOBODY in the USA but me, Scottish-Crazy me would know what these things are. I got this boat for $600.

This is what it looks like under the waterline.

See the aqua-green one in the foreground, hull number 52? Mine will look just like that, it's the same color, just hull #35.

I have all the wood stuff for the interior decks, the barney post and so on. It all looks ot be in reasonable shape. Immediate project list is..

1.) plug hole for ancient, missing knotmeter

2.) make rudder, make lower bronze rudder post. I have the old rudder for a template.

3.) replace some little pieces of deck trim which have screw holes into the deck...just asking for delamination, though it hasn't happened, yet. I should probably sand and varnish all the deck wood while I'm at it, there's not a whole lot.

4.) refinish and attach tiller

5.) acquire a boom, and attach to mast. Anybody got a lead on a cheap 11-12 foot boom?

6.) replace one stranded rigging wire...the others should be replaced sooner rather than later but the one can NOT go back on the boat.

7.) acquire some used sails that will fit

8.) put the inside wood deck structure back in...this stuff isn't really structural. I'll probably pressure wash it, replce anything that looks nasty, and prettify it.

9.) One partial bulkhead is delamming, I'll probably infuse it with epoxy, clamp and let it set.

And THEN I can sail her! Boat is still in Nevada City, I need to get the insurance and dry storage set up before I move her, but it's coming along.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-17-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Nice, Alan! What an interesting find.

One possible suggestion for your list is consideration of airbag flotation?

I've got a 13.25' carbon fiber/glass composite boom tube you can have for free. Bombproof and easily shortened with a hacksaw. But it would need to be rigged with gooseneck, outhaul, reef, mainsheet, vang, etc. Paint it tan, and it will look just like wood.
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-19-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Winter is an excellent time to visit my homeport of Capitola. No crowds, free parking, and often spectacular surf. Yesterday's SSS History Walk was no exception, and several SSS stalwarts enjoyed a catered lunch on the beach on the banks of Soquel Creek, then a walk on nearby historical Capitola Wharf and discussion with Ed, the wharfinger about his fleet of orange rent-a-fishboats.

A walk through the colorful Capitola Venetian, oldest condos in California. Then a ride down the funicular railroad for a private tour of the Shadowbrook Restaurant, birdwatching from the Shadowbrook's waterside patio on Soquel Creek, followed by a gingerbread latte at Gayle's Bakery. If you missed it, there are ongoing history walks for SSS members at the Capitola Boat Club, once site of Capitola's first hotel in 1890, then operated by Patty Read Lewis, survivor of the Donner Party, age 8.

http://www.cityofcapitola.org/cityad...capitola-above
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Nice, Alan! What an interesting find.

One possible suggestion for your list is consideration of airbag flotation?

I've got a 13.25' carbon fiber/glass composite boom tube you can have for free. Bombproof and easily shortened with a hacksaw. But it would need to be rigged with gooseneck, outhaul, reef, mainsheet, vang, etc. Paint it tan, and it will look just like wood.
    Wow, thank you! You're ON! I'll message about a time to get down there.

Yes, some kind of flotation to be tucked inside the ends of the boat is high on my list before I take Alpha out into the main bay. Also, NO SPINNAKER until there's foam, or something in there.

SSS Holiday sharing:

He bought her a pair of much needed, stick-like-glue, topsiders just in time for the 3BF.

She reciprocated, and bought him, her spouse, his long dreamed of, pristine, vintage, yellow Nash Metropolitan.

Name:  Nash.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  71.5 KB

It should be arriving on the car carrier next week, just in time for Christmas.

It was asked "what engine?"

According to our very own, SSS Forum Click and Clack, the answer is "Nash engineered the body and suspension, but they used Austin’s little 1.2 liter (73 cubic inch) four-cylinder A-40 engine. Small but well engineered, the engine had aluminum pistons, overhead valves, a counterbalanced crankshaft, and a Zenith downdraft carburetor. Its low compression (7.2:1) allowed it to use poor gasoline, but it only had 42 horsepower; 0-60 times were around 30 seconds, nearly double that of the flat-head six-cylinder Plymouth Savoy. The transmission was a three-speed manual column shift ("3-on-the-tree").

More: https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...itan/100910809
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-22-2018 at 02:22 PM.