Page 3 of 628 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I have an anchor and rode for ya! We gotta figure out the exchange. I will probably be in SC next Saturday...
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Back yard boat building isn't all glue and screws. Yesterday was an example of what I call "politics:" The CG wouldn't accept my documentation application. Apparently the internal volume isn't sufficient to carry 12 hay bales. The dreaded trip to the DMV to register the new cat was at hand.

I arrived on time for the appointment. The clerk reviewed the two page application and said I owed $459. I said "no way, I'd already paid sales tax on every piece of the boat." I offered my carefully ordered receipts and tally lists.

She seemed confused, took the receipts, and headed for the copy machine. Then thought better and consulted her superior. I fell asleep standing at the counter. 20 minutes later she emerged, telling me I had "fibbed." She had added every receipt and found an $8 dollar difference. Say what? I had totaled them 4x and was confident.

The good news is the tax was waived and registration bill was reduced to $29. I was issued my HIN (Hull ID) and CF numbers and stickers. The HIN has to be permanently affixed in two places in 1/4" figures. The CF numbers have to be 3" block letters.

I was ready to escape with my success. Not so fast. The clerk wanted to be very clear she was issuing me two carbon monoxide stickers. By (new) state law one sticker must be posted in the interior and the larger 7" one on the transom.

I read the CO stickers. They warn of brain damage, even death, and advise to get fresh air if feeling nausea, headache, dizziness, or drowsiness. I was feeling all four as I walked out to the car. Just a morning at the DMV, not included in the manual on boat building.....
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.

"The (DMV) clerk" . . . "She seemed confused" - These two statements are redundant.

"I had totaled them 4x and was confident." Proving once again what we accountants all know: the calculator is mightier than the sword.

"The CF numbers have to be 3" block letters." Apart from the additional skin friction hampering the air flow over the hulls, this is really bad feng shui. One (serious) suggestion is to apply them to the sides of the boom.

"The clerk wanted to be very clear she was issuing me two carbon monoxide stickers. By (new) state law one sticker must be posted in the interior and the larger 7" one on the transom."

Had we sailors found a way to get more fresh air they might not have had to pass this law. I've noticed a high level of compliance with it - immediately after January 1st these stickers have been appearing on the transoms of nearly every boat I've seen! The problem is they don't seem to stay attached - it must be poor glue.

Do I need to put one on my Banshee?

I want one of those stickers!

What # Banshee do you have? I had #515 - not only one of the funner boats I've owned, but the only boat I ever sold at a profit!

We bolted the chain plates in yesterday. The rotating mast step is next on the list. Then hopefully can step the mast, which currently stands in the garden on an umbrella cement base with shrouds tied off to a flower planter and two fence posts.

We are now at the stage where we use 5200 more than epoxy. 5200 adheres better to metal than epoxy. Just don't get it on your clothes or shoes.

Politics continue: I want to insure the boat, both for liability and damage, especially as she will be trailerable for coastal cruising. BoatUS seemed a logical place to start. I filled in an online "quick quote." And checked the appropriate boxes. Some boxes were confusing as to which to answer. Is the new boat a "sailboat," a "sail with auxiliary," or a "multi-hull?"

BoatU.S. promptly mailed two quotes, one for "our popular Boat Saver policy." And one for the "more comprehensive Yacht Policy." Both quotes notably featured $854,000 coverage for a fuel spill liability. Say what? Our outboard tank is a 3 gallon jerry jug.

I called up the BoatU.S.insurance help line. Sheryl was nice. but couldn't answer my questions: "Can I decline the fuel spill coverage?" "Does a 6 hp outboard count as an auxiliary?" Sheryl passed me on to John in the underwriting department.

John was most business like. He chided me for not describing the boat more fully and not revealing we were building a multi-hull. He asked who designed and built the boat. I replied Howard Spruit and myself are co-designer/builders. I could visualize the warning sirens and red lights going off.

John asked if we were licensed, had an engineering degree, a degree in metallurgy, and a full set of construction plans. I said we had both worked for yacht designers and builders for over 40 years. Howard has designed and built numerous boats, including ROCKET 88.

The conversation went no where except "we don't normally insure home built boats." "If you were a Catalina 22, we'd have you fixed up in a heartbeat."

Hmmm. I was told by BoatU.S "don't call us, we'll call you." Sound familiar, single-handers? It's on to Plan B......
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-31-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Default Boat US

Sounds familiar to me! When I got Horizon a few years ago, I looked first at Boat US for insurance. I was told, "It's a 30 year old boat!", and that was about the end of the conversation.

Got a decent policy with Bay Risk, right here in Alameda.

I had no problems insuring my Ericson 35 which is 41 years old and insuring Wafi which is a home built boat. Both with Boat US.
    Maybe it all depends on who you geton the phone?

I have insured every boat ive owned with progressive. Cheap, over the phone, no hassles. Ive never needed a survey or anything.

Bug Lighters: It's been a fun week at the driveway boatshop. We need rain. But continuing fair weather benefits our outdoor building program. The dual companionway sliding hatches are nearly done, the boat is wired for a single battery, 6 switch breaker panel, a 150 watt inverter, Alpenglow cabin light, and 8 hockey puck 3xAAA LED lights picked up at Orchard for $3.95 each.

Neighbor Morgan (Larson) stopped by with a box of "jewelry" from his 49'er program. I'd never seen a micro dinghy spinnaker sheet block with invisible ratchet that progressively tightens as the load increases.

I have great sympathy for modern insurance agents. My father, fresh out of the military in WWII, became a yacht insurance agent. His area was Santa Barbara to San Diego, and he personally knew all his clients and their boats. Boats were smaller in those days, and among others, Dad had most of the International 14 class under his wing.

One night about mid-night, Dad gets a call from a client enroute from S.Cal to Toronto for the Prince of Wales Bowl. This skipper/crew had parked their rig at an all night diner for some grub, not noticing their Int.14 mast (wood in those days) overhung the adjacent railroad bed.

Along comes the California Zephyr, or whatever it was called back then, and the whippy dinghy mast punches out more than a couple of the passenger windows in the train before breaking the mast tip off. I don't remember the resolution, but don't think my father slept that night.

My father always stressed two things about insurance: Be honest with the facts, because you never know when something will come back to bite you. And know your agent personally, because he will be the one to help you in the event of trouble.

I fear times have changed in the bigger, faster, computerized world. I doubt agents have much say today on what goes on at corporate headquarters. I'm at a loss how one large insurance company, who advertises in Latitude-38, claims a discount available if one's yacht has LORAN. I am not unhappy that this particular company, in a lengthy phone call, turned me away because my boat has "a tunnel hull," their definition of a catamaran.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-04-2012 at 12:26 AM.