Page 305 of 628 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,050 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I was looking at a yellow boat over on D dock Sunday. Its stern looks kindof like that. It was compared to Pretty Penny, but different. I forget the name of it, but it is a 1/2 ton Gary Mull design with a scoop cut out of the stern. Bob, what's the name of that boat? It didn't have snow on it. Thank goodness.
    The yellow one with the stern scoop is The Shadow. It and Pretty Penny are Mull 30's and Rob said that both were built by Hank Easom.

Regarding yawls, Peter Heiberg shared a video clip of Dorade passing by under full canvas, with everything pulling beautifully. It was motivating, although I have to be realistic and remember that I'm (mostly) a singlehander. I'll not be getting all those extra sails down and stowed in preparation for a rounding of Southampton Shoal light, as we did on Saturday.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-27-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Regarding yawls, Peter Heiberg shared a video clip of Dorade passing by under full canvas, with everything pulling beautifully. It was motivating, although I have to be realistic and remember that I'm (mostly) a singlehander. I'll not be getting all those extra sails down and stowed in preparation for a rounding of Southampton Shoal light, as we did on Saturday..
    Hi Bob,
    Fully understand yawls are not compatible with shorthanded, inshore racing, nor windward/leewards on crowded SF Bay weekends..nor is the mizzen boom hanging over the transom good for neighboring boats making tight turns into nearby slips.
    SURPRISE as a yawl or a sloop is a beautiful boat. For mizzen staysails, her mizzen mast needs shrouds and running backstays to properly achieve mizzen staysail luff tension. Rigging on a mizzen mast is a pain...I like SURPRISE's clean look.

Sled,
    Philpott’s question (Mull 30, aka Belvedere 30) got me to thinking about the examples of local yacht design history sitting there at RYC. And, I’m nominating you to put at least some of it together since you have significant first hand knowledge. In that harbor sits SPIRIT (drawn by Mull while at S&S), several Santana 22’s (Mull), two Belvedere 30’s (Mull’s development from LIVELEY LADY, which had her roots in the Golden Gate one design), and probably at least one Ranger 29. Then there are boats there by designers who worked for Mull: Schumacher, Burns, Antrim and Holland. [I’m not sure if there are any Ron Holland boats at RYC.] Let’s not forget that Tom Wylie was in that mix.

Question: Would it be fair to say that IMPROBABLE is a stretched out Belvedere 30?

Tom

Now, that makes me think of my days(years) at DeWitt Sails and later Sobstad. The old design files were a similar who’s who of sailmaking and yacht design There were designs by Jim DeWitt of course, also Hank Jotz, Gary Mull, Dee Smith, Jim Warfield and probably more before yours truly. Tom Wylie also worked there at one point. During my tenure, there were John Kostecki, Paul Bieker, Dan Newland, and more.

The cross-training developed this way I think was very helpful in pushing the state of the art. Of course yacht designers need to know how to make sails and sailmakers need to know something about yacht design. Today, I just wish yacht designers had a clue about how to make dodgers and biminis. ;-)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Sled,
    Question: Would it be fair to say that IMPROBABLE is a stretched out Belvedere 30? Tom
    DAZZLER:
    Welcome home from diving in Roatan!.
    It would be understatement that more modern sailing yacht design history lies at Richmond Yacht Club docks than any other location in the SF Bay Area

And yes, the first time in early 1973 I saw CHICO, a Mull 30 Lin Carmichael had sailed up from New Zealand, I swear I was looking at a baby IMPROBABLE, complete with transom hung rudder.

Carmichel sold CHICO to Belvedere's Dr. Bill Dubilier for the then princely sum of $22,000, same as IMPROBABLE had cost two years earlier. New Zealand yacht construction was on the cusp of being discovered.

But go back a few years before that. The first Mull 30, LIVELY LADY, was built in 1968 by American Marine in Hong Kong for Mike Shea of Belvedere CA. LIVELY LADY had a very successful career on SF Bay and was winner of the 1969 S.O.R C. Lucaya race. Here is the initial connection to IMPROBABLE: David Allen, who commissioned Gary Mull to design IMPROBABLE in 1970, was crewing on LIVELY LADY in the 1969 SORC and was much impressed with her performance, especially controllability downwind in breeze with the transom rudder. (Which later that month broke off in the 1969 Miami-Nassau Race.)

Name:  Mull30.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  151.4 KB
    LIVELY LADY

LIVELY LADY's design led to the CHICO 30 in New Zealand, of which 70 were eventually built in GRP by Keith Eade. Gary Mull was already a household word in New Zealand before achieving acclaim here in the U.S. The CHICO 40 was a development of the CHICO 30 in New Zealand.

Name:  Mull303.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  28.5 KB
    New Zealand CHICO 30

LICKETY SPLIT was originally built in 1971 by Easom Boat Works in Sausalito California. She was one of 3 hulls built by Hank Easom. The other two were PRETTY PENNY and THE SHADOW (the yellow one with the stern scoop Jackie saw.) I used to crew on PRETTY PENNY, and found her a delight to sail and the design's suitability for SF Bay summer breezes admirable.

Name:  Mull306.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  111.8 KB
    PRETTY PENNY hauled at Allemand Brothers, Hunters Point.

So yes, IMPROBABLE, at 42 feet, was very much in line with Gary Mull's design philosophy of the time: "has to be good looking, and has to sail well. Has to have good balance, and it has to have an airy, bright, pleasant interior so you don't feel like you are going to jail when you go down below. It's got to have a comfortable cockpit where you can work the boat without bashing your elbows or tipping over or whatever. It's a boat that, if you want to cruise it for a while, you can do it by simply loading aboard the stores and some clothes, and just do it. If you want to race it, you can do that by off-loading some of the stores and gear and going racing. And, of course, it's not going to be a successful IOR boat, because it's not an IOR boat, but it's probably going to be a better cruising boat than 99 percent of the cruising boats on the market, which are caricatures of cruising boats."

Though designed as a raceboat, IMPROBABLE comfortably cruised the South Pacific in the summer of 1973 with 5 aboard, visiting Samoa, Western Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, and New Caledonia enroute to OZ for the Sydney-Hobart.

Though not certain, I'm guessing another employee of Mull's office, Chuck Burns, may have been influenced by Gary Mull. Certainly the Burns 35 ROLLING STONE, built at Stone Boatyard in Alameda, 1973-1975, bears a striking resemblance to both the Mull 30's and IMPROBABLE. A smaller Chuck Burns design, the Farallon 29, aka Golden Gate 30, shared similarities also.

Name:  Mull305.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  195.4 KB
    ROLLING STONE at Stone Boatyard, Alameda, 1975

As Cover Craft Tom correctly states above, "the cross training developed in those days amongst SF Bay designers, builders, and sailmakers pushed the state of the art..."
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Mmmmm. There is something about beautiful boats displayed in the yard as much as under sail on the water. I love looking at boats. Those are nice photos, Skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Mmmmm. There is something about beautiful boats displayed in the yard as much as under sail on the water. I love looking at boats. Those are nice photos, Skip.
    Name:  Gannet3.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  36.8 KB

Here's a pretty boat in the boatyard. In this case Webb Chiles Moore 24 GANNET sitting on her new, temporary cradle. Tomorrow, or soon, GANNET will be loaded on a flatbed truck to traverse Panama by road, not via the Canal, to reach her home Pacific waters, enroute to completion of her circumnavigation in San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Webb Chiles' Moore 24 GANNET . . . enroute to completion of her circumnavigation in San Diego.
    Panama to San Diego in an ultra-light, essentially engine-less craft will be quite the challenge. Chiles has mentioned the possibility that he will complete the circle (his 6th, Gannet's 1st) by sailing to Hilo, his first landfall after leaving San Diego at the commencement of this voyage. It will be interesting to see how he decides to finish.

Either way, this will be the first ever circumnavigation for a Moore 24, won't it?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Panama to San Diego in an ultra-light, essentially engine-less craft will be quite the challenge. Chiles has mentioned the possibility that he will complete the circle (his 6th, Gannet's 1st) by sailing to Hilo, his first landfall after leaving San Diego at the commencement of this voyage. It will be interesting to see how he decides to finish.
    Either way, this will be the first ever circumnavigation for a Moore 24, won't it?
    Hi Lee, Yes, this is the first circumnavigation for a Moore 24..I can't see it becoming popular. Panama to San Diego in Spring is not gonna be easy, whatever route Chiles decides on. At least he's made it to the Pacific side of Panama at a cost of $5-$6000 for the 1.5 hour overland trip.

Happy news for Howard this morning: he doesn't know how, but he received birthday wishes from the SSS Forum. This is a happening place.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Here she is, Synthia and Terry's aptly named PICNIC BASKET.

Name:  syn2.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  1.24 MB

Name:  syn3.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  syn1.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  1.08 MB

Sure to be seen at a yacht club near you.

What little creation has Synthia been sewing this week?

Name:  syn4.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  724.2 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-03-2019 at 07:21 PM.