Page 307 of 628 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317357407 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Delamination in sandwich construction does happen, especially in older, poorly built, and harder sailed yachts.
    How could delamination be repaired at sea?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Isn't that what happened to Donald Crowhurst's boat in the first RTW race?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Isn't that what happened to Donald Crowhurst's boat in the first RTW race?
    I believe it was more mental delamination..

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I depends on the location of the delam, the severity, and the proximity to assistance. If the bow panels have delamed, and "panting,"cross bracing could be attempted using floorboards/bunktops. Except for the deck, this is the least severe location for delam.

More severe is if the bottom of the boat becomes delamed. In this case, little can be done except head for port and make sure the life raft is handy. In the worst case scenario, this can happen: https://wavetrain.net/2015/12/01/ano...lina-star-iii/

The rudder can also delaminate. You'll likely not become aware until seeing bits of rudder float up astern. This happened to us on IMP in the 1977 SORC. It took about 5 minutes to lose steering control under spinnaker. Rudder delam used to be relatively common, but less so with modern rudders.

A most unusual delam I saw was on a MacGregor ("K-Mart") 65 . Both sides of the hull, from the bow aft peeled off like an onion leaving exposed core.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-09-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    In the worst case scenario, this can happen: https://wavetrain.net/2015/12/01/ano...lina-star-iii/
    I remember reading about that incident when it occurred, but this article and its pictures tell quite the story. Truly horrifying. If the boat had been hauled and the hull surveyed immediately before the final sail, is it possible that the problem could have been spotted?
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    I remember reading about that incident when it occurred, but this article and its pictures tell quite the story. Truly horrifying. If the boat had been hauled and the hull surveyed immediately before the final sail, is it possible that the problem could have been spotted?
    Hi Lee,

I don't know if that particular delam on the big Oyster could have been spotted beforehand. It certainly did cause a very big and expensive company to close its doors and sold off.

Delams do bring up the very real fact that most of us prefer to not deal with the possibility of unpleasantness in our little ship's systems. "Out of sight" can mean "I'll look at that later when I have more time."

I know I'm as guilty as any.

Particular locations are underwater (sloppy lower rudder bearing, propeller slop, growth on the depth sounder transducer and bottom of the keel, barnacles and growth in the thru-hulls, a broken blade on the plastic knotmeter impeller, etc.

Up the mast can also be out of sight, out of mind. Cracked swadges aloft, grooved and frozen halyard sheaves, misaligned wind instruments, a hidden crack in the gooseneck, loose or frozen spinnaker track screws,
    a tri-color light lens that is fogged or bulb burned out. . .

I can always tell a rig that hasn't had attention by a simple glance aloft and seeing growth or mildew, even moss, on the bottom side of the spreaders.

Dark and difficult access places too are suspect. Corroded electric connections in the bilge, crude in the bottom of the fuel tank near the pick up tube, a steel or aluminum mast step that is failing, engine exhaust water that is less than optimum, an engine panel in the cockpit that is not watertight and has corrosion on its backside...

I once went aloft to investigate why a tri-color light was not properly shining aft. "hey, Joe, what's a desiccated rat doing up here?"
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.

A wooden Snowbird was my first boat. It was a 12 foot catboat with a centerboard and cotton sail, used as an Olympic Class in the 1932 Olympics.

Name:  snowbird2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  7.2 KB

My Snowbird was so slow that the newer fiberglass versions could literally sail circles around me. Being a kid, I thought it was just inexperience. Then one day when launching my Snowbird, the hoist broke. The boatman told our father that my boat was too heavy to ever again use the hoist.

Although I did not realize it at the time, my wooden Snowbird was covered in fiberglass and the whole boat was painted, including speckled Zolatone on the inside.

Name:  zolatone.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  10.1 KB

The boatman estimated my Snowbird was at least 100 pounds heavier than its faster sisters.

The broken crane incident was the last I saw of the Snowbird. A Lehman 10 dinghy appeared in its place. The Lehman was light weight, and could be ramp launched. It had an aluminum rudder and daggerboard that would hum when the wind was up. It could also capsize, and I quickly learned to hand hold the mainsheet.

I think I weighed less than 100 pounds "soaking wet" as they'd say. And with my dog as crew, again I occupied the tail end of the fleet.

Name:  Blue Moon'57 001.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  106.9 KB

I ditched the dog for my best friend who could hike by slipping his toes under the freshly installed hiking straps. I bolted a wooden sail batten to the top of the tiller as an extension. I even installed a bronze bell on the inside of the transom to be Coast Guard compliant.

Again, off we went to the races. Again, we would finish so far behind that we'd almost be late for the start of the following race. Once I almost beat a boat. But was passed just before the finish. It's skipper came over after the race and apologized for beating me.

I didn't find out until yesterday, 62 years later, why my Lehman 10, BLUE MOON, was so slow. My boat was painted, blue on the outside and white on the inside, unlike the rest of the class which had see thru hulls.

Apparently the Cal Tech geniuses knew. But I was in grade school and thought a good looking boat should also be fast. Here is what I found online:

"See-thru Lehman 10s were neither particularly attractive nor particularly fast, but they were easy to transport to college regattas. Making one more attractive also made it slower. Much slower. My brother was the captain of the sailing team at CalTech. They got the idea to put some very pretty white paint on the hull of one of their two Lehman 10s, then spend many hours polishing that paint for speed. What they got was the slowest Lehman 10 in the intercollegiate fleet. Their ugly green see-thru, on the other hand, was the fastest in the fleet. Not that any of it mattered all that much since every team sailed every other team's boat over the course of a meet."

Name:  Blue Moon 2.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  4.7 KB

Who would have thought paint was slow?
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-11-2019 at 09:18 AM.

I suspect this Snowbird is as heavy as yours was, but it's sure pretty:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...834579972.html

Here's a photo for when the ad goes away:

Name:  Snowbird in Sausalito.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  160.7 KB

That sail must be as old as the boat - that's the DeWitt logo, right?
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-11-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I suspect this Snowbird is as heavy as yours was, but it's sure pretty:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...834579972.html
    Yes, we've seen that before. Pretty boat. It's not a Snowbird. This is a Snowbird:

Name:  Snowbird.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  101.4 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-11-2019 at 09:50 AM.

That's quite an "adaption" then!

I suffered a similar fate as one of the first juniors in the Island Yacht Club. All the other kids had El Toros. A few were Smith wood boats and there were a couple of new Tito glass ones, which were very fast. I had to race the family's Cape Dory 10. It weighed twice as much as an El Toro but the committee let me participate. I never won - not even close.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-11-2019 at 10:00 AM.