Page 311 of 628 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361411 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

When I dropped K's rudder, two people could barely move it. Someone wrote on the Freedom Yacht forum the other day that they're laid up with CF and fiberglass. Or some such. Same as the J boats, I suppose, since Gary Mull had hands on both. Since mine probably weighed close to 150 lb, my guess is that DM's is closer to 65. That's also in keeping with the Price is Right kind of guessing. Everyone always underestimates these things. I routinely carry two weight belts in my car of 30 and 45 pounds plus some loose weights in my office. Another couple of weight belts on the boat of 15-20 each just oughta be enough for the job. I might even bring a wet suit and fins if y'all promise not to drop it on my head. Someone should also be there to videotape it. What could possibly go wrong....?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Someone should also be there to videotape it. What could possibly go wrong....?!
    Is this happening tomorrow? I'll be over there at some point.

I'm going to stay with my original guess. DM is a svelte, speedy craft and could not possibly have a rudder that heavy... even if she does.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I'm going to stay with my original guess. DM is a svelte, speedy craft and could not possibly have a rudder that heavy... even if she does.
    Thank you, Bob. Not tomorrow.

Name:  869CCAE1-3DAC-4D89-9547-538A5F2A7780.jpeg
Views: 810
Size:  3.26 MBName:  B28C6DE0-BACC-4047-896D-5B4BF7DBAA0A.jpeg
Views: 864
Size:  2.65 MB

Over on Faceplant, I posted that SSS women are having a "guess my weight" competition and I'm wondering how that will work out.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-23-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Tufnol.

Sorry responding to something back a ways.

http://ahistoryoftufnol.org/whatistufnol/

You know what Tufnol is because your old Pearson Ensign/Ariel/Triton had blocks made from the stuff.

Name:  dsc_0926__26267.1438795331.500.659.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  27.5 KB

As a matter of fact, you can still buy tufnol blocks. All of the blocks that came with the Piper I'm restoring were tufnol. I might feel the need to replace anything that needs replacing with more tufnol, for that authentic 1972 feel.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-23-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I’m really not sure that DM’s rudder washer / bearing is the material discussed above. I also suggested to Jackie that she should at least call Steve Seal. http://www.sealsspars.com He worked at Cal/Jensen when those boats were being built, and he’s the expert on restoration of early Cal’s.

Tufnol is the brand name for the UK version of cotton fiber reinforced phenolic resin. Other trade names are Micarta and Garolite. The Micarta brand is best known in the US and was commonly used for masthead sheaves, as well as for electronic printed circuit boards. The sheaves often failed by splitting, especially with wire halyards.

I would suggest, as has already been suggested, that there may be better materials such as Delrin now available.

Tom

I'll add another number to reduce everyone's chances to win :-)
    39 lbs. Or maybe I should omit the unit so that when the true weight is announced I could fall back: oh well, I meant kilos ...

Ok 39# for pj

Price is Right style: I bid 1 pound more than the highest bidder. I'll bring a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I’m really not sure that DM’s rudder washer / bearing is the material discussed above. I also suggested to Jackie that she should at least call Steve Seal. http://www.sealsspars.com He worked at Cal/Jensen when those boats were being built, and he’s the expert on restoration of early Cal’s.

Tufnol is the brand name for the UK version of cotton fiber reinforced phenolic resin. Other trade names are Micarta and Garolite. The Micarta brand is best known in the US and was commonly used for masthead sheaves, as well as for electronic printed circuit boards. The sheaves often failed by splitting, especially with wire halyards.

I would suggest, as has already been suggested, that there may be better materials such as Delrin now available.

Tom
    I didn't know that!...(first point, the other trade names) and agree that there's better stuff available, now.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"