Page 315 of 627 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325365415 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

I have a group of friends who rescue animals. Their passion is wonderful and inspiring to behold. My kitty, Sequoia, was a feral rescue kitten. And became a love of my life.

Name:  sequoia2 001.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  230.8 KB Name:  sequoia3 001.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  221.4 KB Name:  sequoia4 001.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  326.7 KB

At risk of again getting OT, here's a happy ending rescue story, CBC radio interview, 5 minutes long, to accompany last week's story of Peter Pan the sheep and Sparkle the dog sharing the ledge at Point Richmond.

Feel free to post a picture or story of an animal friend.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...-bag-1.5090675
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-16-2019 at 10:46 AM.

OK, Campers.

We are fresh out of Capitola Boat Club burgees, Philpot having collected the last one as prize for her correct answers of "Ringtail," "Flinders Bar," and "Brigantine," in post 2952 on 01/10/19.

We have another quart of Marianne's Macapuno Icecream for the first to correctly answer the following question:

We've run the calcs. What is most likely to capsize first in 40 knots beam on wind?

1) The ship recently bringing the new Matson cargo cranes into Honolulu Harbor? (thank you Capt. Kip and Capt. Bob for the photo.)
    Name:  Matson Hvy Lift.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  686.8 KB

2) The VW Bus Landcruiser?
    (Name:  Matson Hvy Lift 2.png
Views: 1656
Size:  198.4 KB

3 The $200 Land Yacht that recently sailed 300 km across Mongolia with two crew aboard?
    Name:  Matson Hvy Lift3.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  182.0 KB

4) The 100 year old, 135 foot eucalyptus tree on Park Ave, in Capitola, located 175 feet from the CBC race deck.
    Name:  Matson Hvy Lift4.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  517.7 KB

Finally, to prove you are not a robot, what is (was) the name and species of your current, or most recent pet?

Entries close in one week, noon, Wed. 4/24/19
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-17-2019 at 11:09 AM.

After driving a 1970 VW camper with on the beam winds I vote for No 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    After driving a 1970 VW camper with on the beam winds I vote for No 2.
    Did you ever own a pet? That's part of the question. Your answer has some validity and is so entered when we receive the name of your pet and species, past or present.

I had a '66 VW Bus. It didn't roll because of the wind, but because it kept going straight down a hill when I turned the steering wheel and nothing happened.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-17-2019 at 11:45 AM.

I've owned, and survived, a 1963 VW van, in high winds so I know it's a contender, but we also had several large U-Cal-I-Peedus (as we used to say when I was kid up in Oregon) trees on the property and each one fell down over the years. One took out the chicken coop, but spared the hens, another just missed the backyard shed, and one fell across the fence into the neighbor's orchard. After drying out they became firewood, although Uky burns pretty hot and fast. So I'm going with the tree, which is hopefully not 175 feet tall and will fall short of the CBC Race Deck when it comes down.

And yes, lots of pets over the decades: Whippets and cats. Our last kitty passed on at age 21 a few years ago. "OSA" was her name. She wasn't a sailor, but she'd come out and sit under a bush while I moved or cut brush and watch over me. She liked a chin chuck when I took a break. She also liked between the ankles on top of the comforter at night. And of course she proudly brought the mice she captured into the house if we didn't check carefully when she asked to come in. How she mewed with a mouthful of struggling mouse always puzzled us.

Sorry didn't see the whole question. Momo is the current pet. Still think it's No.2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rather than submit an answer to the Macapuno Icecream trivia, MAGIC DREAMERS have graciously offered to bring croissants to CBC Mobile, soon to drop anchor just east of Spooner's Cove.

MAGIC DREAMERS instead submitted their first ship's cat story.

Prior to our return sail in 1994 back to Victoria, BC from Baja (MAGIC’s maiden voyage). I was doing a final load of wash @ the Marina de La Paz when Capt. Craig comes in, with a sheepish grin, holding a wee little grey kitten in his hands.

“Look what I found asleep underneath a hauled-out panga!” “Oh great”, I thought,” it’s probably very sick and won’t make it much longer”… but I agreed to hop in a taxi to the nearest veterinario for exam. She was undernourished but OK otherwise. I named her Marina de La Paws and she left with us the very next month on our 29-day trip from La Paz to Neah Bay. The sea conditions were abominable with wave trains arriving from the north and the west so we spent many hours hove-to in order to re-group, bake bread, get some rest. Many times, especially at night, Marina decided that the calmer conditions of being hove-to meant we were anchored so she’d tear around the deck, climbing up the side pin rails like a monkey. After a couple of times I watched this antic, with my heart in my throat, I finally informed our Mexican crew member that: best hang on as we’re NOT going to turn back for a feline overboard rescue.

She hung on and we arrived in British Columbia with the first of our Schooner Cats.

Name:  Marina Paws.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  304.1 KB

Name:  Marina Paws 2.JPG
Views: 1552
Size:  964.6 KB

Default Frog

Our last pet was a wonderful Cat named Puppy.
    My guess is #4!
    It is already healed 5 degrees and it is dead calm, and no mast.
    Last edited by Howard Spruit; 04-18-2019 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Webb Chiles on his Moore-24 GANNET has tacked to port ~ 100 miles offshore the west coast of Baja. His COG is taking him inshore in the vicinity of Asuncion Bay, about 50 miles south of Turtle Bay. The winds are noserlies, 18-20, and it can't be pleasant, bumping along at 3-4 knots, 40 degrees low of course. Will be interesting to see if Chiles seeks relief in a Baja bay on the last leg of his Bash. Only ~ 400nm to go to close his loop of the Blue Marble, most of it directly upwind/upcurrent.

https://my.yb.tl/gannet
    https://www.windy.com/?28.710,-118.630,5

Default Fun in the RtR: old fogey does foredeck

It takes me some time to get back to writing but the RtR with Skip was good clean fun.

Steve, dealing with the foredeck action, glanced aft and says, "watch that rock, we're going backwards." Not a harsh word was spoken. Skip did a little hoki-lau with the tiller, we jibed and somehow got away from the rock. All was well.

A friend asked me how I liked doing foredeck. My reply: It was re-afirming that I could still foredeck at a competitive level. After all the last 30 years of helming and teaching others to do foredeck I was still capable. Sure, it was only one set and one dose, many jibes, three sail changes. But I was still competitive. Also, I gave Skip the total control of the boat, tactics and stratagy. That a gift to a great world class sailor. And I was able to relax, eat some snacks, drink water, look around and enjoy the day without having to concentrate on helming and staying in the hunt. Photo courtesy Jonathan, Nor Cal Sailing

All together a pleasurable day.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4212
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by skatzman; 04-21-2019 at 09:03 AM.