Page 317 of 627 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321327367417 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    At 07:15 this morning, Webb Chiles and Gannet made landfall in San Diego, completing his 6th circumnavigation and Gannet's first -- no doubt the first ever by a Moore 24. By a fluke of time and chance, I did not board the plane for Mexico that I was ticketed on today, so instead I went down to the Harbor Police dock and caught his dock lines. Gannet is now tied up behind Morning Star at the Silver Gate Yacht Club.
    Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Cool stuff!
    Fun day today.

Name:  Under the lee of Pt. Loma.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  1.47 MB

Watching him coming in, he was so slow motoring with the electric outboard that I feared his battery might have died. But the unit still showed +/- 90% power when he turned it off.

Name:  Dock talk.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  3.29 MB

We should all hope to look this well stepping off a boat (any d*** boat) after 46 days alone at sea. He was delightfully cheerful, gregarious, and gracious. I had never met him but have exchanged email with him over a variety of topics over the years. It was like meeting a friend you haven't seen in years.

Name:  At SGYC.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  2.05 MB

At our little ol' yacht club that doesn't let things like reciprocity rules stand in the way of honoring a sailing achievement like this.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Right next to Morning Star :-)

A distinctive visitor in town, anchored .5 miles offshore the Capitola Wharf, is the USCG Buoy Tender ASPEN.

Name:  Aspen2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  5.6 KB

ASPEN is 225' LOA, carries 49 officers and crew and is responsible for servicing more than 72 navigational aids from the CA/Oregon border south to San Diego.

Name:  Aspen.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  55.1 KB

Gotta have a substantial winch and crane aboard ASPEN to lift aboard steel buoys, their anchor and chain.

Not an everyday event. Some years ago we were racing off Monterey. Point Pinos buoy was our weather mark. ASPEN"S predecessor, the BUTTONWOOD, had just picked up the Point Pinos buoy before we arrived, and steamed 1/2 mile seaward to heave to while cleaning and maintaining the buoy.

We, and the rest of the fleet, gave chase and finally caught the BUTTONWOOD with the Pinos buoy clearly visible on their mid-deck. Much to the amusement of the BUTTONWOOD's crew, the fleet properly rounded the racing mark, leaving the buoy, and the buoy tender, to starboard.

Several months later the BUTTONWOOD returned to the Point Pinos buoy and unintentionally created havoc. At the time, the Pinos buoy sounded the soft sigh/moan of a whistle buoy. As a Coast Guard upgrade, the whistle buoy was replaced with the louder and more obnoxious sound of a diaphone.

Much to the distress of many homeowners on the Monterey Peninsula, their previous friendly buoy that could be heard moaning well inland in the right conditions now was keeping them awake with its new sound.

The homeowners' president and mayor both got an increasing number of complaints. On behalf of their constituents, they called the Coast Guard and gave them an ear full. Sure enough, a week later the BUTTONWOOD steamed back to Monterey Bay and put the old buoy back on position so that sleep was not interrupted on shore.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-02-2019 at 01:24 PM.

At least one SSS'er has been in contact with the Aspen:

https://www.h2oshots.com/2017-Sailin...asco/i-bKw63nn
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-02-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    At least one SSS'er has been in contact with the Aspen.
    Roger, at least one SSS'er has made contact with the ASPEN, likely while ASPEN was tied in her berth at the Coast Guard Station Yerba Buena Island during a 3 Bridge Fiasco. How could anyone do that? Isn't that area restricted to SSS'ers by the S.I.'s? Bad Boy.

ASPEN figured in a mini-mystery in late-Dec./early January of 2009. As reported by the San Francisco Bar Pilots, the San Francisco Approach Buoy, AKA "Light Bucket," 12 miles west of the Golden Gate, mysteriously disappeared one night.

This was no minor matter, as the buoy was 32 feet long, 9 feet in diameter, and weighed 26 tons. It was crucial the missing buoy be found, as it is the rendezvous point for Bar Pilots with all incoming and departing ships. And would make a nasty free range obstruction to encounter at sea.

ASPEN laid a temporary buoy and went on the hunt.

Thankfully ASPEN solved the mystery. The missing buoy was on location, only resting on the bottom in 100' of water, WTF.

I'm sure someone knows who the culprit was who T-boned and sank the "Light Bucket" that night.

The ASPEN raised the missing buoy. "That'll buff right out."

Name:  Aspen3.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  ASPEN4 001.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  1.16 MB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-03-2019 at 09:06 AM.

"At our little ol' yacht club that doesn't let things like reciprocity rules stand in the way of honoring a sailing achievement like this. "

Thanks, Lee, for your serendipitous story and pics of the arrival of GANNET and Webb Chiles!

Does anyone know if Webb ever connected with his Leap Frog Scotch Whiskey or whatever it is that boasts "tastes like dead fish, iodine, a campfire and dirt". ... "Tastes like a burning hospital."? There's a story there.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-02-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I know that stuff. "Laphroaig". No joke, an old friend of mine won their slogan contest a couple years ago. Can't remember the exact quote but something like "The best carburetor cleaner I ever drank". Laphroaig sent him all kinds of custom swag with the slogan, etc.

He corrected me that he didn't win but was first runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Does anyone know if Webb ever connected with his Leap Frog Scotch Whiskey . . . ?
    This was not a problem. Shipments from well-wishers poured in. Before he left Silver Gate yesterday, he mentioned that he had so many bottles of Lafroaig on board Gannet he wasn't sure how to stow them all.

As a thank you to the club, he sat for an informal Q&A at the bar Wednesday night. Even though we only gave one day's notice to the members, we had a full bar, and he cheerfully held forth answering questions and talking of his many exploits for 2 solid hours.
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 05-03-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32