Page 322 of 627 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332372422 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Liberation Spam. Hot and spicy with Tabasco for some of the details.

Early to rise to get the prize!!

Ants

Sleddog, Hedgehog and Ants at the same table at the CBC: a profoundly unsettling possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Liberation Spam. Hot and spicy with Tabasco for some of the details.
    Early to rise to get the prize!!
    Ants
    Awakening with the pups shivering on the bed during 30 minutes of local thunderstorm activity as a low passed overhead with torrential rain, I noticed Ants has not only answered the SPAM question correctly, but also made dinner and overnight reservations for Marsha and himself at CBC to celebrate. Guessing it was a slow morning in Bodfish, Ants? Congrats, and no, I won't be serving SPAM...But the six MacDonalds on Guam do serve SPAM in various dishes....

Name:  Spam3.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  28.0 KB

Today, on the beautiful mountain setting of Lake Garda in northern Italy, the Star Sailors League (SSL) holds its final day of racing for the European Championship. During 3 days of preliminaries 92 crews from 23 countries have been whittled to 10 for the semi-finals and finals. Here's a quick, 2 minute look at what they are up to as these best sailors in the World vie for the $100,000 prize.

https://www.facebook.com/StarSailors...3636254715404/

Lake Garda is a wonderful place to sail, sort of like the Columbia River Gorge where steady winds get funneled through a pass in the Alps, emerging as reliable and often fresh sailing breeze.

In 1966, Dingo Schoonmaker and I won the same European Championship at Lake Garda. No $ prize in those days. Instead we won a large Italian ceramic urn from a local Riva artisan. It was so big and heavy, it barely fit in the cockpit for shipping purposes and we had to leave it behind....

Today at Lake Garda, SF native Paul Cayard is in contention for the overall win. He is sailing the newest Star built, #8550.

Name:  Starboat2.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  166.9 KB

Name:  Starboat.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  603.5 KB

In 1941, Life magazine used a 3/4 page photo of a Star, #1743, ANTARES, to advertise what?

1) Ethyl gasoline 2) SPAM 3) Goodyear Tires 4) 1940 Best Picture nominee The Long Voyage Home
    5) Fritos

Winner gets the chicken dinner WBChristie won a week ago but likely won't be collecting unless he drives 9 hours south from Brookings, Oregon.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-19-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Geez,
    To feed this appetite on Guam and other Pacific Islands, Hormel Food Corp., based in Minnesota, produces 15 and counting different flavors of SPAM: classic, less sodium, lite, hot & spicy, Black Pepper, Jalapeño, spread, singles, singles lite, hickory smoke, bacon, cheese, garlic, and roasted turkey. That's 14. And there is one flavor made just for Guam. To join Mr. Hedgehog and me for an afternoon of consultation at Capitola Boat Club, what is the 15th flavor of SPAM made exclusively for Chamorros on Guam?. 1) Oreo SPAM? 2) Macadamia SPAM? 3)Scampi SPAM? 4)Creole SPAM? 5)Sushi SPAM? 6) Tabasco Island SPAM? 7) Portuguese sausage SPAM? 8 Nutella SPAM? 9) Mutton SPAM? 10) Liberation SPAM? 11) Tocino SPAM? 12) Shave Ice SPAM? 13) Teriyaki SPAM 14) Chorizo SPAM.
    Attachment 4326
    Apparently I may have spoken too soon. It would seem that Liberation SPAM is not a flavor, but rather Classic SPAM repackaged in a commemorative can. Thanks to eagle-eyed Forum reporter TP for reading the fine print and pointing out this salient detail!

The “custom flavor” made by Hormel exclusively for Guam was Hot & Spicy with Tabasco as correctly mentioned in the second half of Ants answer. The kicker here is due to its popularity, Hot and Spicy with Tabasco is no longer exclusive to Guam as Hormel has expanded it's availability to world wide markets..

This means I technically had provided no correct answer to be chosen. What to do? I'm going to assume command and continue to award the trivia prize to Ants..there is additional reason for this. Ants is donating one of his fleet of boats in Bodfish to CBC for mutual enjoyment and will be delivering it to CBC headquarters in two suitcases, thus more than earning his award of consultation with Mr. Hedgehog and myself
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-19-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Sleddog, Hedgehog and Ants at the same table at the CBC: a profoundly unsettling possibility.
    I've forgotten. When are you leaving on your Polar Expedition? Will you report how it goes?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I've forgotten. When are you leaving on your Polar Expedition? Will you report how it goes?
    This is how disturbing rumors begin to disturb. ‘Tis the other piratess, not me, who may go off on a polar expedition. She’s the brave one.

The morning in Bodfish are occasionally slow as well as the afternoons during rain. I am susceptible to melting in the rain.

The most current trivia quiz - since the title head of the ads extols Excellence, my notion is that refers to Goodyear tires attemp to promote excellence. None of the snack foods would be considered excellent. (And, I have not successful in finding digital versions of magazine). So, response is by logic, not research.

Is there another way I can donate used maritime gear other by attending the race meeting? I will be listening to Webb Chiles at RYC.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The morning in Bodfish are occasionally slow as well as the afternoons during rain. I am susceptible to melting in the rain.

The most current trivia quiz - since the title head of the ads extols Excellence, my notion is that refers to Goodyear tires attempt to promote excellence. None of the snack foods would be considered excellent. (And, I have not been successful in finding digital versions of magazine). So, response is by logic, not research.
    Name:  Life.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  509.4 KB

Good logic, Ants! Unfortunately, Goodyear tires is not the correct answer.

So after one lap, it looked like Paul Cayard, on his 60th Birthday, was going to win the Star Sailors League (SSL) Finals and European Championship today on Lago de Garda. Then on the second windward leg Paul went left, when the right hand side of the course paid, and dropped to 3rd after Rohart and Scheidt.

Robert Scheidt is a transplanted Laser Olympic champion. His downwind skills and speed is legendary. He lives and practices on Lago de Garda. Scheidt caught and barely passed Ponsot on the final 2 mile downwind leg to win the whole enchilada.

This is no surprise to those in the know. Robert Scheidt is Brazilian and has won two gold medals, two silver medals and a bronze from five Olympic Games and a Star Sailors League Final as well. He is the only sailor to win medals in both dinghy and keelboat classes. That is Excellence in the Star Class.

Name:  Scheidt.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  164.6 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-20-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    This is how disturbing rumors begin to disturb. ‘Tis the other piratess, not me, who may go off on a polar expedition. She’s the brave one.
    No, t'is your "Polars" Expedition we are waiting with bated breath to hear about...

Here's a polar expedition I find fascinating on all sorts of levels.
    https://www.saildrone.com/antarctica
    It's a far cry from getting out and seeing it with your own eyes, but the science is solid and important... and I find it intriguing that an autonomous unmanned wind powered craft has now made it 1/2 way round a continent.

DH