Page 324 of 628 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334374424 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Anyone has Bernot on breeze?
    Found it at a reasonable price ...

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Can you name the 3 other maxis tied up on TICONDEROGA's port side? One is a ketch, one a sloop, and one a schooner.
    In order: STORMVOGEL (famous ketch from South Africa with distinctive transom); KIALOA II (sloop, owner John Kilroy was the uncle of one of my best friends); SERENA (schooner, owner Ken DeMeuse of Alameda after this race commissioned Bill Tripp to design the ketch BLACKFIN, sister-ship to ONDINE.

Speaking of the MMBA Master Mariners Race, I will always think of it as the “Mustard Mayonnaise Race.” I owned a wooden boat and participated for a few years. There was always a wonderful flurry of activity in May as wooden boats around SF Bay were being prepped, painted and varnished. There was one friend who’s mate was from Japan, and after several weeks of hearing all this talk of the Master Mariners Race, she finely asked, “What’s this Musta’ Mayonnaise Race all about?”

Tom
    Last edited by Dazzler; 05-25-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Huh? You mean Bearnaise on Benedict?
    Ah, no. Stan Honey's presentation recommended this book :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    “What’s this Musta’ Mayonnaise Race all about?"
    I was crew in the Mustard Mayonnaise race yesterday when we crossed the bow of this beast. It was built in 2015 and I think it's the first time in SF Bay. One guy says it's a floating dry dock. I almost believed him it was that weird looking. Close too...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I was crew in the Mustard Mayonnaise race yesterday when we crossed the bow of this beast. It was built in 2015 and I think it's the first time in SF Bay. One guy says it's a floating dry dock. I almost believed him it was that weird looking. Close too...
    That's Japanese owned HYPERION HIGHWAY car carrier. Carries more than 7,000 cars and was inbound to Richmond from Mexico. And you thought 880 traffic was bad before that thing unloads?

Name:  HYPERION_HIGHWAY.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  60.4 KB

Wow!

If you make stupid decisions on the water you could get run over by one ship or 7,000 vehicles. There is a choice as to which sounds more impressive if you survive.

I am refreshing and adding to my sailing reading by reading sled's posts from number one. Somewhere in there was a post about the ferry out of Pt Townsend that took out one of the participants in the parade at the Wooden Boat Festival.

Memorial Day weekend has more rain on the house and snow in the higher elevations. Typically, this weather would have ended two months ago.

Ants

Sailing TransAtlantic is not a trivial ocean passage. But transporting a yacht by ship is not always fail safe either, especially when the yacht in question is a superyacht bound from the Caribbean to the Med.

Name:  My Song.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  106.3 KB

Apparently the seaworthiness of the 130', all carbon fiber, Baltic built, MY SONG was in question and the owner said, "let's eliminate worry and send it on a ship to Italy.

Name:  My Song3.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  95.8 KB

What happened was on the last leg of the ship's passage, in the Med, MY SONG fell off the ship... Insured for $70 million, there is sure to be some discussion.

Name:  My Song2.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  20.0 KB

Main halyard needs trimming.

Oh - nevermind.

And thanks, Philpott, for righting my sideways photo. I posted it from my phone while in Maine and it appeared to be upright. I puzzled over the "west instead of south" comment all week!
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-27-2019 at 10:07 AM.

A shout out to Capt. Bob of Haleiwa, Hawaii. Bob and I have been long time friends and shipmates. It was Bob who gave me not only the classic book of TICONDEROGA's history by Jack Somer, but also a waterpainting of TICONDEROGA tied up at the head of Transpac Row after her record breaking passage in 1965. Look carefully at Bob's painting. Can you name the 3 other maxis tied up on TICONDEROGA's port side? One is a ketch, one a sloop, and one a schooner.

Attachment 4350
    here's my best guess...
    Ketch (immediately to port) - Storm Vogel
    Sloop - Kialoa 2 - the cabin is unmistakeable
    Schooner - Serena

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 05-27-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    here's my best guess...
    Ketch (immediately to port) - Storm Vogel
    Sloop - Kialoa 2 - the cabin is unmistakeable
    Schooner - Serena
    DH
    Good, David! You got them all correct, two days after Tom P (CLOUD) also answered correctly. Congrats to you both.... Good to see you yesterday at CBC. I enjoyed our visit.

If anyone is singlehanded and hungry, the chicken dinner from post 3213 is still available. The correct answer is not Goodyear tires.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-27-2019 at 12:11 PM.