Page 328 of 627 FirstFirst ... 228278318324325326327328329330331332338378428 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Curious how tonnage rules in this case? The article also says: "The 7th Fleet says it considers the actions by Russia's navy on Friday to be unsafe and in violation of the internationally recognized "rules of the road" and other maritime standards."

Did the 7th Fleet actually use that term when it is never once mentioned in the Colregs....?

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/07/73059...n-with-cruiser

Sad news last evening from Nance and Commodore Tompkins. WANDER BIRD, aka ELBE No.5, a 136 year old, historical National Treasure to Germany and to the World, was rammed abeam the foremast and sunk by Cypriot flagged containership ASTROSPRINTER in narrow confines of the Elbe River, 18 miles downstream from Hamburg.

Name:  Wanderbird3.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  43.0 KB

There were approximately 43 people aboard the Hamburg Maritime Foundation owned WANDER BIRD, fortunately only one serious injury. Though WANDER BIRD stayed afloat long enough to be towed to shore, she ultimately filled and rests on the bottom in about 14 feet of water.

Visibility was good, and WANDER BIRD had sails aloft.

Name:  Wanderbird4.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  14.3 KB

WANDER BIRD, originally engineless, carries two engines and a large propeller on either side of a small rudder, We do not know if the engines were engaged. The 'BIRD would not have been “nimble”, but it appears a prudent master would have maneuvered to keep WANDERBIRD out of the way of the overtaking and oncoming ship.

WANDER BIRD is the brown track on the below AIS chart, and ASTROSPRINTER the green. At the approx. location of collision, ASTROSPRINTER would have been obligated to be turning 30 degrees to starboard to stay in the navigable channel.

Name:  Wanderbird2.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  108.9 KB

WANDER BIRD had returned to Germany only a week earlier from an extensive $1.7 million refit in Denmark. We do not know the Elbe River pilotage rules, but do note the containership did not stop, but carried on to sea. Maybe she was under orders to do so from nearby Coast Guard vessels?

https://www.dw.com/en/historic-sailb...urg/a-49116722

Here's WANDER BIRD sailing out of Sausalito in better times.

Name:  Wanderbird.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  3.6 KB
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKS-bGcoZW4

And thanks to Tom for finding this wonderful short film of WANDER BIRD with Commodore Tompkins aboard on the Elbe River, 81 years after he rounded Cape Horn as a 4 year old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPp9...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Hi Ants,

Thanks for the kind prize offers and the Mair 28 pics. While I would love to accept your hospitality, though a Seattle native and longtime West Coast sailor, I'm currently aground in New England and unlikely to pass close aboard central CA anytime soon.

Regards,

David

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    David (no_ballast) here is your choice of rewards for the correct answer. Obviously, accommodations and meals in Bodfish are included as well as the tour of Bodfish Boatworks. The choices are a expense paid tour of Silver City Ghost Town, or fly fishing in the Sierra's (all gear provided except the license). Other diversions that you may want to consider is whitewater kayaking, but I have no skills to lead you. Flat water kayaking is also available.

As for AlanH, I heard a second, incomplete version of the Mair 28 was in a mold, but never finished.

Two sheets of the study plans have been uploaded to a user album, maybe I can transfer the photos to this post.

Sorry Philpott, you need to marry into Estonian culture.Attachment 4412

Hi David,

The Northeast is even less convenient than the SFBay area to Bodfish. However, a small token should still be granted. I am downsizing my singlehanded sailing library. Are you interested in a book or two?

Wanderbird - a really, really big Ouch.

Ants

Hi David, The Northeast is even less convenient than the SFBay area to Bodfish. However, a small token should still be granted. I am downsizing my singlehanded sailing library. Are you interested in a book or two?
    Ants
    Hi Ants,
    It was 91 degrees here at CBC yesterday, and every beach between Sausalito and Capitola was packed with crowds seeking relief on the hot sand. Umbrellas were the equipment of choice.
    Could I politely suggest a "small token" for David? Tell us what and how you named your Mair 28? Also, your reefing technique for rounding Pt. Conception?
    Best Regards,
    ~sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-10-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Sure. Another cup of Shut Up and Post has been poured.

I purchased the Mair 28 from Peter Klausen in 1987. It seems there also was an agreement to use the boat for 60 days to assess before buying. Peter named the boat after his daughter Katie - hence Katie K. Sheesh, that reminded me of a fishing boat. With the open transom and cockpit area that enlarged to the transom, it looked like a commodity scoop in the bulk foods part of the market. SCOOP was the new name. (A friend had a C & C sailboat called Spook at the same time. Tongue twisting radio calls.)

The standard bow pulpit made it hard to lower the mast to reaching height even though Scoop sat low on the trailer with the daggerboard in the up position. The pulpit was modified to a U-shaped section and the mast could lower to horizontal.

In August, 1990, it was time to sail to Southern CA after I took a job there. With a crew of 4, we were looking for a nice sleigh ride south - but little or no wind. We stopped at Morro Bay to get more gas and additional gas tanks.

Off again and the wind finally started to pick up around Pt Conception. Up goes the spinnaker and the surfing begins.

Suddenly, the mast section fails due a stress fracture at the exit block for the topping lift. As the spinnaker is holding the mast up, the mast acts as though there is a hinge at the break. Damn, the mast 'reefed' itself and gently landed on the deck, and sitting snugly in the U of the bow pulpit.

It took us no more than 5 minutes to pull in the loose lines, start the outboard, and continue to Santa Barbara.

Thankfully, the premium was paid for the trip insurance that covered us from SF to LA.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Here's a polar expedition I find fascinating on all sorts of levels.
    https://www.saildrone.com/antarctica
    It's a far cry from getting out and seeing it with your own eyes, but the science is solid and important... and I find it intriguing that an autonomous unmanned wind powered craft has now made it 1/2 way round a continent. DH
    Update on Saildrones in the Southern Ocean: 1020 is now almost 3/4 of the way clockwise around Antarctica before returning to its starting point of Bluff,at the southern tip of the South Island of New Zealand. So far, the highest wave reportedly recorded by 1020 has been 29 feet in 30 to 40 knots of wind near the Drake Passage and Cape Horn.

Saildrones 1022 and 1023 are in a match race, half way from NZ to Cape Horn. Reportedly, "1022 set a speed record of 22.6 knots," and "1023 went 24.4 knots," breaking the old record of 14.87 knots set by 1020.

The technology to measure wave height and speed of the three Saildrones is not well explained, illustrated, or documented on the website, other than to say GPS and inertial guidance sensors are used. There is one 4 month old graph of 1020's measured boat and wind speeds. These 23 footers are not planing hulls, nor are the wing sails reefable.

Name:  Saildrone7.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  83.1 KB

It would be interesting to know if those top speeds were set on a semi-horizontal sea, or, more likely, falling off the cliff of a giant breaking wave. Here's 1020 taking a selfie of itself in a 60 knot storm:

Name:  Saildrone6.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  47.4 KB

Saildrones have to be mighty tough to survive in the Southern Ocean in winter. 1020 has already rebounded off an iceberg. Exciting stuff.

Below is photo of 1022
    Name:  Saildrone5.jpeg
Views: 8021
Size:  84.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-12-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Sure. [. . . ]

In August, 1990, it was time to sail to Southern CA after I took a job there. With a crew of 4, we were looking for a nice sleigh ride south - but little or no wind. We stopped at Morro Bay to get more gas and additional gas tanks.

Off again and the wind finally started to pick up around Pt Conception. Up goes the spinnaker and the surfing begins.

Suddenly, the mast section fails due a stress fracture at the exit block for the topping lift. As the spinnaker is holding the mast up, the mast acts as though there is a hinge at the break. Damn, the mast 'reefed' itself and gently landed on the deck, and sitting snugly in the U of the bow pulpit.

It took us no more than 5 minutes to pull in the loose lines, start the outboard, and continue to Santa Barbara.

Thankfully, the premium was paid for the trip insurance that covered us from SF to LA.

Ants
    Whoo! A prize story, and I feel well-rewarded. Thanks for the suggestion, sleddog.

If you care to continue, Ants, I'd be curious how you liked the boat overall, or how it compares with other boats you've loved or loathed.

Thanks,

David

Name:  Transpac.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  32.5 KB

This fine Matthew Turner built schooner was launched in San Francisco and held the race record from Los Angeles to Honolulu for 17 years. In a month, 100 racing yachts will be following in her wake on the 50th Anniversary of the running of the Honolulu Race, later dubbed the "Transpac."

What does this schooner share in common with the below vessel being launched Sunday in San Diego?

Name:  Transpac4.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  620.1 KB

Another "Lurline" for the Hawaiian trade and another "Lurline" in the long Matson tradition.