Page 331 of 628 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381431 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Leaving the safety and marine layer ("June Gloom") of Capitola Boat Club and Maritime Museum, Annie and I went inland in search of mountain vistas, hikes to alpine lakes, and the possibility of hot springs. We found all three at the end of a windy, one lane, pot-holed road deep in the Central Sierra. The 20 mile approach, not for the faint of heart, traversed a 9,200' pass, and down what at times felt like a goat path with not enough room for two vehicles to pass when meeting head on.

Name:  Kaiser2.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  12.0 KB

At the end of the road, someone with a sense of humor had placed a traffic sign "End of Freeway." We parked the car and proceeded on foot to a 1930's stone cabin, our accommodation on the banks of the wild San Joaquin River. The San Joaquin was running high, fast, and cold with snow melt, and the nearby campgrounds were flooded.

Name:  MonoHotsprings3.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  179.1 KB

A half mile hike from the stone cabin, across a 1930's bridge, was a meadow and mountain side with a dozen or more hot springs. There were no signs, so it took a bit of exploration. One hot pool at the end of a rock scramble was big enough to swim in. Another, surrounded by wild roses, had a sunset view northward to the snowy Sierra Crest as far as 20 mile distant Mt. Ritter and Banner Peak, both mountaineering ascents of my youth.

Name:  MonoHotSprings4.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  276.9 KB

Annie likes to swim, and with the San Joaquin running too wild for an icy dip, we hiked 1.5 miles up a rocky path to discover an alpine lake that is thermally heated to 75 degrees and does not freeze in winter. We shared the lake with hungry trout, who seemed to like tortilla chips and would go into a finned frenzy when something edible was tossed their direction.

Name:  Mono Lake 1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  141.7 KB

All the while on our mountain expedition we were off the grid. On our return I was surprised to learn all hell had broken loose with the SSS. How do you explain SSS Staff Commodore Hedgehog, on a night, motor/sail, 30 mile delivery from Half Moon Bay to Alameda on his O-29 HEDGEHOG, being sighted riding a hook and ladder fire truck at 3 a.m. on the streets of San Francisco?

WTF, Good Sir?

Name:  Firetruck.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  291.1 KB

PS: Good luck to the LongPackers starting this afternoon, sailing 200 miles west southwest from SF Bay and return in 20-30 knots of breeze and 6-9 foot seas. A serving of wet, wild, and woolly coming up.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2019 at 09:32 AM.

BARBARA, the first Eastern Pacific (EPAC) hurricane of the season, is currently a Cat 4 with 126 knot (145 mph) sustained winds. BARBARA is tracking NW about halfway between Banderas Bay, MX, and Hawaii, at posit 14Nx128N. Central pressure is a deep 939 mb (millibars). https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep...start#contents

Not many yachts transit the No-Man's Land of the EPAC between Mexico and Hawaii at this time of year. Fewer yet sail the 4,000 miles from Panama to Hawaii. Nevertheless, there are likely small craft out there tempting fate in Hurricane Alley, as did Tami Oldham and Richard Sharp in 1983, resulting in the book "RED SKY IN MOURNING," and the semi-factual movie "Adrift."

Experienced sailors in French Polynesia had warned Oldham and Sharp of the danger of their proposed route to San Diego. Nevertheless, the lure of money won out over common sense...

Name:  Hazana.jpeg
Views: 820
Size:  280.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2019 at 12:16 PM.

For those interested in the start of this afternoon's SSS LongPac, there is a real time webcam just west of the start line. Class A, singlehanders with a PHRF rating <129) will cross in front of the camera 1350-1405, with their start at 1400 (2pm). The second start for singlehanders PHRF>129 will be at 1405. Three DoubleHanded boats start at 1410.
    http://12.201.135.206/Race%20Deck/siteproxy.html

Some of the fleet, including SURPRISE, LIBRA, and X1 will have AIS transceivers. I do not fully know yet others. But the ones that do will be visible here: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:37.8/zoom:10

I will amend this post later this afternoon to list all LongPac entries with AIS transceivers (transmitters).
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2019 at 09:01 PM.

The LongPac started this afternoon under sunny skies, clear viz, wind SW at 15-18 knots. SURPRISE led Class A, looking fast and smooth inshore on port tack, sails trimmed flat, in good ebb current. Further out in the last of the flood was the Cal-40 RIFF RIDER. NIGHTMARE and MULAN were overlapped several hundred yards astern SURPRISE. LIBRA looked to be struggling, several minutes back, tipped over despite her deep reef.

SURPRISE likely won't be running his AIS until visibility closes or night falls. BobJ is power conscious, and transmitting AIS when not needed eats into his battery.

LIBRA, X-1, and SEA WISDOM are currently transmitting AIS.

Winds out to the Lightbucket are currently in the 12-16 knot range. The real breeze, 20-25, is further out, about online with the Farallones. Except for LIBRA, looks like some of the fleet maybe jumped the gun with their deep reefs.

Between AIS and the Trackers, there are 15 boats accounted for. Just can't see MIRTHMAKER at present.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Default I got to ride in the fire truck!

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

How do you explain SSS Staff Commodore Hedgehog, on a night, motor/sail, 30 mile delivery from Half Moon Bay to Alameda on his O-29 HEDGEHOG, being sighted riding a hook and ladder fire truck at 3 a.m. on the streets of San Francisco?

WTF, Good Sir?

Name:  Firetruck.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  291.1 KB
    So there's a story, but It's true - I got to ride on the back of a fire truck on the way back from HMB!
    Synthia and I had a good day of testing things on HEDGEHOG, and found the limits of some crititical systems.

for example, I determined that I get approximately 5 hours of motoring on a 3 gallon tank.
    we found that limit at about 0030 while motor sailing with the main up into a building ebb, about halfway between the bridge and mile rock.
    so we rigged the spinnaker and sailed in the gate, of course...

we decided the best plan was to sail in to the St Francis harbor and see if we could get some gas ashore (after all, I just need gas, not marine diesel!)
    once we get in, tied up, and things are sorted, it was 0230 & we repaired to Hedgehog's salon for a think over rum smoothies (as in pour some rum into the warm smoothie).
    while below, we heard the SFFD rescue boat fire up on the adjacent dock... and then the sounds of the Fire Dept team putting it away.
    When I poke my head out of the hatch, there's 2 firetrucks at the top of the ramp, and their crew are on the dock, messing with their launch...
    turns out they're heading back to their beds, somebody else rescued the 3am swimmer... they dont have any gas to spare, but offer to give me a ride up to the all-night-gas-station on Divisadero.
    Did I mention - I GOT TO RIDE ON THE FIRE TRUCK!!!
    and yes, It was the Ladder Truck, just like in Skip's pic...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I GOT TO RIDE ON THE FIRE TRUCK!!!
    and yes, It was the Ladder Truck, just like in Skip's pic...
    Whew. Thanks, David. Now we got the story of the hook and ladder fire truck straightened out, we can return to the real business on hand. The LongPac is not going as planned. At 1900 hrs on Wed. evening, the co-leaders, MULAN and SURPRISE, are 3 and 6 miles SE of the Farallones, well to windward and ahead of the rest of the fleet. Both MULAN and SURPRISE are close reaching due West (255m) at 5.6 knots in a modest 12-14 knots of wind. 255m is the shortest course to the turn-around.

The forecast 20-25, gusting 30 is further north, abeam and west of Pt. Reyes. The main body of the LongPac fleet has sagged so far south they will not see much over 15 knots and risk light winds that prevail at night within 20 miles of shore in the Gulf of the Farallones.

The NOAA HRRR charts show real time winds over the course. Here they are at 2000 hrs. Name:  HRRR.png
Views: 713
Size:  204.9 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Note that there is a separate SSS forum thread under 2019 LongPac with updates from the RC. The tracker can be found here: https://www.jibeset.net/tv.php. Hit the "Watch" button to load.

Dura Mater has retired and is back safe. It looks like Daisen's Den is heading in, but still out of VHF range. Everyone else looks to be committed for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    Note that there is a separate SSS forum thread under 2019 LongPac with updates from the RC. The tracker can be found here: https://www.jibeset.net/tv.php. Hit the "Watch" button to load.

Dura Mater has retired and is back safe. It looks like Daisen's Den is heading in, but still out of VHF range. Everyone else looks to be committed for the night.
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the report from the RC. Interesting to note SURPRISE's AIS report is live, as his tracker is an hour old...https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...y:37.6/zoom:10

The AIS also shows X-1 apparently returning. I wonder if sea sickness in the lumpy conditions may be playing a role? LIBRA turned back, but an hour later tacked back to starboard and has resumed racing. Likely sail reduction or repairing breakage. But maybe Gregory just stopped for dinner.

Posts on this thread are strictly unofficial, and though I try to be factual, they are based on best guess and not associated with the LongPac RC. If requested, I will happily move my commentary to the other thread. But I thought keeping them separate might offer variety.

Here's the GFS forecast chart for 2300 hrs tonight: more wind north, less wind south. MULAN (has retired at the Farallones) so SURPRISE alone will be sailing into 25 knots. Everyone else, 20 or less, depending on how far south they go.

Name:  gfswed.png
Views: 723
Size:  105.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-03-2019 at 09:32 PM.

No problem with two threads. I am keeping the other for RC updates, but as always we appreciate your color commentary.

Happy Holiday All,

This 4th of July morning at 0900 PDT, BobJ on his Alerion 38 SURPRISE continues his lonely slog westward, 25+ miles north of the remaining Long Pac racers. Bob is 102 miles west of the Golden Gate, and same distance from his turn around point at 126-40W. SURPRISE, averaging 5.5 knots, should be headed home in approx. 17 hours, or 2 A.M. tomorrow morning.

Conditions over the course have moderated, with 18-20 knots of wind from the NNW. And should slowly moderate a bit more over the next 12 hours. SURPRISE, by going West, rather than Southwest, is setting up for a fast broad reaching angle home. Everyone else, further south, is going to be sailing more miles, and at a slightly slower angle on their return.

Here's the GFS chart for 11 A.M. PDT this morning. Yellow is 13-15 knots of wind. Orange is 15-17 knots. As will be noted, the wind arrows are in 5 knot increments, and do not exactly match up with the chart colors. For example, a barb and 1/2 = 15 knots of wind. Two barbs = 20 knots of wind. In addition, in swell, the wind strength near the surface is less than higher off the water, say 10 meters. Also, cooler air is denser. 20 knots of wind off the CA coast is stronger than 20 knots of tradewind in Hawaii.

Name:  GFSthurs.png
Views: 1185
Size:  98.6 KB

Good sailing to all. Here at CBC, we had a very low tide this morning, -1.4 feet. Beachgoers from over the Hill were already planting their umbrellas in the sand at 7 a.m. under overcast skies. Dozens of surfers were out early, enjoying the chest high southerly swell.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-04-2019 at 02:14 PM.