Page 334 of 628 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384434 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,340 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    At 0530 SEA WISDOM contacted the CG to let them know that he had lost all steerage and to request assistance. They have dispatched a vessel to provide a tow.
    SURPRISE! has apparently hove to twice overnight and is currently ~60 nm from the Gate. Last communication indicated that Bob is okay and the boat is sound.
    RIFF RIDER now expected to be first boat to finish, likely in the early afternoon. We expect 7 of 8 boats to make it back to SF some time today. TORTUGA is ~100 nm from the Gate and will likely finish early tomorrow morning. Randy texted at 0800 this morning: "Rough night but all ok on tortuga. . C55. S5.8. . 36. 52.95. . 124.12.39. hoping the winds calm down".
    LP RC
    Thanks for posting, Tom.

As of 0935 SURPRISE is 59 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge, on course, and making 6.9 knots. Bob could be finished this evening by 1900 if all goes well.

Of more concern is SEA WISDOM. Many of us have experienced the helpless feeling of losing a rudder. About all you can do while figuring out what to do, is deploying a drogue to keep the stern to the wind, rather than having the boat slewing around. Fingers crossed for William Lee that the hull is not compromised and the CG can assist.

Also of concern is SHARK ON BLUEGRASS. The tracker shows SHARK heading west at 3 knots.

As stories filter in, much can and will be learned from debriefings. Thank goodness, though banged, bruised, wet and tired, all are apparently well at this juncture.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-06-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Agreed that there’s much to be learned, and we can hope for major debriefs. With complicated systems onboard it becomes essential to have quickly available manuals. I’ve become very appreciative of my iPad for that. I wonder what BobJ has along? I know he was very familiar with the systems on RAGTIME! and probably didn’t even need (no stinkin’) manuals.

Hydraulic linear drives don’t have a “clutch” as we might think of one. They have a solenoid valve (an electrically actuated valve) that is normally open (NO) to allow the hydraulic fluid in the ram to by-pass the system. When the pilot is put in AUTO the valve receives current to close. So the problem could be as simple as a wiring issue, or maybe the valve has failed. I’m sure by now Bob has checked it out as best he can. All this could be pretty hard to sort out by someone who is already sleep deprived and fatigued.

Tom P.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 07-06-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Grammar...

Update on SHARK ON BLUEGRASS from RC

SOB's tracker shows him headed due West, obviously of concern. We asked the CG to contact him by VHF - happily he is in fact 15 miles from the Gate headed home. Must be a tracker malfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Agreed that there’s much to be learned, and we can hope for major debriefs. With complicated systems onboard it becomes essential to have quickly available manuals. I’ve become very appreciative of my iPad for that. I wonder what BobJ has along? I know he was very familiar with the systems on RAGTIME! and probably didn’t even need (no stinkin’) manuals.

Hydraulic linear drives don’t have a “clutch” as we might think of one. They have a solenoid valve (an electrically actuated valve) that is normally open (NO) to allow the hydraulic fluid in the ram to by-pass the system. When the pilot is put in AUTO the valve receives current to close. So the problem could be as simple as a wiring issue, or maybe the valve has failed. I’m sure by now Bob has checked it out as best he can. All this could be pretty hard to sort out by someone who is already sleep deprived and fatigued.

Tom P.
    Right. IRIS had a very similar system for last years shtp. We replaced the solenoid cartridge, but ultimately the problem was a broken motor shaft. Very unusual.

Heres a friend responding to my question about Bob's steering problem. If someone thinks it might help and wants to forward it do so. Pat
    Pat,

Just saw this. I’m probably not much help but here’s what I know.

We have a very similar or identical unit on Escapade. The clutch is a valve in the hydraulic circuit and is normally open (fluid just circulates) or closed when autopilot is engaged. The valve is controlled by a solenoid which in turn driven by electrical signal from AP Junction Box.

It sounds like the AP won’t engage, which would mean

1. Electrical connection issue from AP Junction Box to HLD2000, specifically AP Clutch signal or ground
    2. If not 1 then clutch solenoid has failed.
    3. If not 1 or 2, then the system might be low in fluid (pump is pumping, clutch valve is closed)

As to at-sea fixes:

1. Check electrical connection (voltmeter) – preferably at the HLD2000 end, both for the clutch and the pump motor drive.
    2. If the solenoid itself has failed (won’t close) I doubt there’s much that could be done.

Where would he be at this point?

With a garage sale in CBC's front yard, it is challenging to stay up on all the late breaking LongPac news. All important, but in no particular order:

SEA WISDOM is undertow at 8 knots. Ironically, she is likely to be first boat to return after completing the entire LongPac course ....but with outside assistance

SHARK ON BLUEGRASS has reappeared after a tracker malfunction and is in a 3 boat horse race for first-to-finish with RIFF RIDER and LIBRA. All should be sailing under the Golden Gate in the next hour. SHARK ON BLUEGRASS
    could well win the 2019 LongPac overall on corrected time.

But wait. Here comes GALAXSEA only 7 miles behind SHARK and owed 2 hours, 20 minutes by SHARK...

Yes? No? Maybe? GALAXSEA (and NIGHTMARE) may need to show proof to RC they crossed the turnaround
    point at 126 degrees, 40 minutes west. The tracker shows ambiguity which may be an error in the tracker. Or possibly human error of entering 126-40 into a GPS waypoint as 126.40, which is a point 16 miles short of the turnaround. I hope it's tracker error. In the old days we had to take a photo of the LORAN/GPS readout to provide evidence. Maybe Daniel and Greg did just that.

BobJ on SURPRISE will be finishing strong. He is currently 37 miles SW of the Golden Gate making 6.3 knots on a beam reach, hand steering, and likely within cellphone range. I suspect, with his approach, and shipping in the vicinity, he is too busy to achieve further investigation into his AP issue.

There's other news (wind between the Golden Gate and the Finish is SW at 15 knots.) But that's the important stuff. I'm sure the RC is on station at the GGYC and will provide finish info on the other (official) thread.

If you want to watch live, tune in the St.FYC web cam and watch your favorite singlehander come under the Bridge and downwind to the finish line 2 miles distant.http://12.201.135.206/Race%20Deck/siteproxy.html
    (Zooming in the focus upwards to 30X provides excellent viz. Also, controls are available for direction of view, the best for finishing purpose being Gate 1, Sausalito, Buoy (the St.FYC finish line, 200 yards west of GGYC finish line), Angel Is., and Alcatraz (looks northeast at the GGYC finish.)

Will DURA MATER be going out to meet arrivals? My guess is yes and Jackie's already in the vicinity of GGYC. Hi Jackie!
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Finish times this afternoon as reported from Jackie on GGYC Race Deck. Chief RC honcho Tom Boussie
    and SSS Commodore Don Martin on hand taking official times. Thanks, Tom, Don, and Jackie!
    SHARK 1:42:18
    LIBRA 1:42:30
    GALAXSEA 1:46: (Mizzen and jib, lost main halyard)
    RIFF RIDER 2:08:37

It is interesting that two of the smaller entries, Olson 25, and a Pogo 20 footer were in a near photo finish for first-to-finish. Actually, SHARK ON BLUEGRASS won best elapsed time by 5 minutes,12 seconds, as her Class B start was 5 minutes after LIBRA's Class A.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-06-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Happy Holiday All,

This 4th of July morning at 0900 PDT, BobJ on his Alerion 38 SURPRISE continues his lonely slog westward, 25+ miles north of the remaining Long Pac racers. Bob is 102 miles west of the Golden Gate, and same distance from his turn around point at 126-40W. SURPRISE, averaging 5.5 knots, should be headed home in approx. 17 hours, or 2 A.M. tomorrow morning.

Conditions over the course have moderated, with 18-20 knots of wind from the NNW. And should slowly moderate a bit more over the next 12 hours. SURPRISE, by going West, rather than Southwest, is setting up for a fast broad reaching angle home. Everyone else, further south, is going to be sailing more miles, and at a slightly slower angle on their return.

Here's the GFS chart for 11 A.M. PDT this morning. Yellow is 13-15 knots of wind. Orange is 15-17 knots. As will be noted, the wind arrows are in 5 knot increments, and do not exactly match up with the chart colors. For example, a barb and 1/2 = 15 knots of wind. Two barbs = 20 knots of wind. In addition, in swell, the wind strength near the surface is less than higher off the water, say 10 meters. Also, cooler air is denser. 20 knots of wind off the CA coast is stronger than 20 knots of tradewind in Hawaii.

Attachment 4506

Good sailing to all. Here at CBC, we had a very low tide this morning, -1.4 feet. Beachgoers from over the Hill were already planting their umbrellas in the sand at 7 a.m. under overcast skies. Dozens of surfers were out early, enjoying the chest high southerly swell.

Just a note... We saw 27-34 knots of wind all night Wednesday night. On the way out, it blew 13-17 before we got to the south Bar. It hit 30 quite a few times while we transited the bar and then there was a lovely hour or so of about 15 knots until we neared the Continental shelf. At that point it climbed to 25 and rarely dropped below that. There were extended periods, like an hour- plus where the wind sensor at the masthead did not drop below 30, and there were plenty of times when I saw 35 knot gusts on the anemomenter. We were the next-to-northernmost boat of the fleet until we turned for Moss Landing .
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Rode my bike to/from Capitola Boat Club to Santa Cruz Harbor yesterday. 4 miles one way along the Coast via E.Cliff Dr. I noticed two interesting signs. The first, across the street from CBC, shows a wave breaking, and says "Entering Tsunami Warning Zone."

CBC is at 90 feet elevation, so I think we're mostly safe. But the last tsunami, March 11, 2011, ripped the Harbor apart, sank a dozen or more boats, and caused million$ in damage....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDnlcbRMaQ

The other sign of interest, at Brommer and 17th, said innocently "Great White Shark Encounters." I parked my bike and went inside Stagnaro Fishing and Whale Watching booking office. The nice lady behind the counter confirmed they did run Friday and Sunday afternoon boat trips to the local Great White nursery, near the Cement Ship, where juvenile fish, 5-10+ feet long, hang out near the beach and sun themselves near the surface in the afternoon warmth.

Name:  Shark.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  16.2 KB

https://www.santacruzwhalewatching.c...ers-santa-cruz

Hmmm. Apparently there have been no reported nibbles by these youngsters on swimmers or kayakers. But they're there, as evidenced a few years ago during a Junior Guards championship when a low flying photo plane radioed the lifeguards they could see dozens of Great Whites in the vicinity of the Cement Ship.

Whistles blew. "Everybody out of the water immediately!!" (Probably not a good idea to be splashing as you attempt to exit the ocean.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkZML7saXuE

At the Stagnaro booking office I had a question. "Do you chum for sharks with bloody meat?" This had been done before by another company, raising significant ire from surfers and others, resulting in the company discontinuing its Great White shark adventures and leaving town.

The nice lady said, "we most certainly do not." "And all our trips are accompanied by a certified naturalist."

Never a dull day on a bike trip at shark o'clock.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-10-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Have you seen a boat hit by lightning? Here's a direct hit. No Halifax Race for PERSEVERENCE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHFJh_tFQs0