Page 34 of 628 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134534 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Thanks Skip. Wish you'd consider having fun with us on the deck! Then again, I'd have to put you in charge and . . .

Skip,

Happy New Year! We continue to enjoy your posts and encouragement to get outside and enjoy this great weather, sunrises, osprey and all.

My one time meeting Doug Peterson left a lasting impression of "what a great guy." It was in the mid 80's and I had Seraffyn hauled out at Anderson's in Sausalito. One of Doug's latest custom boats was also there hauled out. I don't remember the name of the boat; it might have been red. Doug was there to supervise the chain-sawing off of the bottom 8-10 inches of lead keel. Seems the keel needed some post construction custom modification. They used a power plan to shape the lead after the rather brutal first cut.

I was working away on the bottom of my boat and Doug made a point of coming over to talk. I was surprised in the interest he showed in a full keel non-race boat and that he would take the time to come talk with me. He seemed like a really nice guy with not sign of attitude. We had a great chat about boat design and particularly the trim-tab self steering on Seraffyn's transom hung rudder.

I was saddened to hear of Doug's stroke and wish him all the best.

Tom

Tom,
    It does not surprise me Doug Peterson immediately recognized your SERRAFYN. Doug has a long affinity with wood boats, dating back to his early racing days aboard the historic Azorean whaleboat design, BUTCHER BOY II. Doug apprenticed with Skip Calkins, who drew beautiful and fast designs, often double-enders. Currently Doug owns at least one restored 8 meter.

I have not spoken with DAZZLER since they returned from a dive expedition to the remote and seldom visited Alijos Rocks, 180 miles west of southern Baja. Hope you had a good adventure, and might tell us something about a voyage to these rocky pinnacles that arise from the ocean depths in the middle of nowhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocas_Alijos
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Great to have you up here, Skip! The break-in of our brother's rental car (and 2 next to his as well!,) was at Francesco's restaurant actually. After he got the car replaced, he then went to the nearby Hilton that had a locked parking lot (and was safe). Apparently the Starbucks near the Oakland airport is also frequently hit for quick break-and-grabs (the car company said).

Ok - beautiful day, and warmer weekend!
    --Sled's sis.

Skip,

Our dive trip is pretty far off-topic, but you asked... We had a great trip, everything we had hoped for. I need to clarify that we actually went to the Revillagigedo Islands (about 240 miles SS-W of Cabo San Lucas), one of the other Mexican island groups in the Pacific Ocean that are not on the continental shelf. There are three such groups; Rocas Alijos and Guadalupe Island are the other two. The Revillagigedo Islands include Roca Partida, Socorro, San Benedicto and Clarion. We dove at the first three; Clarion is much further west. These islands are very much related to Rocas Alijos as they are all volcanic and Roca Partida (split rock) is very similar to Rocas Alijos. In both cases they are out in the deep ocean (10,000 -12,000 feet deep). Roca Partida sticks up only about 100 feet above the swells. It is the leftover magma plug of a volcano. The vertical sides drop off to about 200 feet where there is a bit of a shoulder and then there is a rapid drop to the ocean floor. These islands are Mexico's Galapagos.

This is open ocean diving with strong currents and lots of pelagic animals. The diving there is particularly known for frequent encounters with the very friendly giant Pacific mantas. We had dive after dive with mantas, lots of sharks (hammer head, white-tip, Galapagos), dolphins, octopus, turtles, tuna, wahoo and too many other fish to mention here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revillagigedo_Islands

Since you thought we had gone to Rocas Alijos, I need to explain that, though we did not go there on this trip, in fact Sue has been diving there. Very few people visit Rocas Alijos since there are only rocky spires sticking out of the ocean. The Wikipedia link you included refers to a 1990 expedition to Rocas Alijos led by Robert (Bob) Schmieder of Cordell Expeditions and the "Literature" reference shows a single publication. Sue was on that scientific expedition, made several dives there and made significant contribution to that publication.

To be more on topic, I hope we see you out sailing soon. Are you doing the 3BF? Let me know when you want to talk about the Delta. The summer is not that far away.

Tom

Point San Pedro is a rocky outcrop below a prominent headland, just south of Rockaway Beach and Pacifica and adjacent and just to the north of Devil's Slide. Pedro Point headland has some nice hiking trails and wondrous views of the Gulf of the Farallones.

Pedro Point is now a park area. But few people visit, as there is limited parking and no signage. After some creative parking, I hiked Pedro Point on Saturday. At the bluff overlooking the ocean, the Farallones, 26 miles distant, looked close enough to pluck. Point Reyes, well up the coast, was equally visible.

600 feet below my perch, the long period storm swell from Japan was arriving in time to give the Mavericks contest its much anticipated surf. Riptides below Pedro Point looked significant. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there in a small boat. Ravens soared nearby to the nearly vertical cliffs. Its rare having such a significant and beautiful headland so close to a major city (San Francisco) all to one's self.

Thankyou, Tom, for the report on your recent trip to the Revillagigedos. Swimming with mantas. Wow. I've seen a manta get tangled in an anchor line in Mexico, and tow a 40 foot boat at 4 knots, with no one aboard.
    Were you able to hitch a ride?

Meanwhile, in a startling development, the third place boat in the Vendee Globe, Virbac-Paprec 3, has lost its keel. JP has stabilized things, filled his ballast tanks, and is sailing under reefed main and staysail to the Azores. Holy macaroni.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-21-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Hey skip, are you close to finishing too? Or still hanging with Alex? Or slowing down to wait for the tide?
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Hey skip, are you close to finishing too? Or still hanging with Alex? Or slowing down to wait for the tide?
    SLEDCAT is 340 miles west of the Azores, and 1653 miles from the finish of the Virtual Vendee Globe. We are running at 17 knots. The final couple of days promises some heavy air downwind virtual sailing. HUGO BOSS and the crippled VIRBAC PAPREC 3 are nearby. But I'm not sure I can help JPD if he capsizes. Alex Thompson can, and is thoughtfully hanging back, until JPD makes his decision whether to retire to the Azores, or carry on to the finish, sans keel.

My friend Al on DOGBARK continues to maintain a lead of 85 miles over SLEDCAT. I compliment Al for sailing a smart race. It is becoming increasingly doubtful I will be able to catch him.

Good luck to all you Three Bridge Fiasco sailors! Look out: EYRIE has a new jib Syn made for herself.

(8 hours later) Woowee, can't sleep, SLEDCAT is averaging 23.1 knots and alternating between submarine and airborne. The motion and noise makes me imagine I'm in a washing machine... Jean Pierre Dick and Alex Thompson are over to the southeast in less boisterous conditions. I'm glad they are presently in convoy in lighter winds..it would be difficult to retrieve JP in these conditions should he capsize.
    Hangin'on..... and hoping for the best for JPD
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-29-2013 at 06:23 AM.

In an "only in Santa Cruz" visual, I was down at the Harbor yesterday when a fleet of women on SUP (Stand Up Paddleboards) came drifting by in a Yoga class, in all manner of animal poses.....

I'd like to give a shout out to Dave Wahle on the occasion of his 70th Birthday today. Many of you know Dave from his Watsonville boat shop where he builds Wyliecats. Dave has built more boats and poured more lead keels than anyone I know. If you sail a Santa Cruz 27 or an America's Cup 80 footer, Dave probably made your keel.

Dave, in collaboration with Tom Wylie, began building boats back in the early '70's. MOONSHADOW, still racing SSS, was their first joint effort. Actually, Dave held two jobs. He was a Santa Cruz garbage man for over 30 years. You can always count on Dave for any heavy lifting. And when you ask him how work is, he'll reply "Picking Up." Happy Birthday my friend.

SLEDCAT, my Virtual Vendee Globe entry, is racing to the finish in a nasty Bay of Biscay gale. With 142 miles to go to the finish at Les Sables d'Olonne, SLEDCAT is catapulting off short, steep waves at a nearly 24 knot average. Her finish will come today about noon, after she and I spent 80 days at virtual sea. If any of you are in the vicinity, come by for a celebration!
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-29-2013 at 06:53 AM.

My greetings to those at The Dreaded Capitola Shorebreak (DCSB). And my compliments to SLEDCAT for retaining her virtual keel to bring you back to Les Sables d'Olonne. I had the pleasure of talking to Dave Wahle while #0 was in Watsonville. Fascinating describes the operation there as Dave continues building boats. Here in South Shore Tahoe a chill northwind as I repair some minor damage to Dianne's boom. Cheers, SDK