Page 346 of 628 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356396446 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,460 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

How did you learn to photo shop? You can't even text.
    My guess is;
    The buttons are farther apart on the desktop than they are on the iphone!

Very happy for Tracy Edwards and crew for long overdue recognition being generated by MAIDEN and their story, truly an ocean breaking event.

WILDFLOWER's first race on SF Bay, April of 1977, was with an all women crew. I only mention this because the next day we were unexpectedly featured in the San Francisco Examiner's "Society" Section, WTF. The article began "on the distaff side." I'd never heard of "distaff" and thought the reporter believed we had some sort of infectious disease.

Flash ahead to Battle Mountain, Feb.3, 2010. Here's Barbara Buatois setting the still standing Women's Bicycle Speed Record of 75.46 mph. Not only did Barbara set the speed record, but also pedaled 52.2 miles in one hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-7fBZfIIQ

That's some remarkable pedaling. I wonder what her heart rate was. And how she steered. Good thing there was no cross wind or might get blown off the road!
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-30-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Very happy for Tracy Edwards and crew for long overdue recognition being generated by MAIDEN and their story, truly an ocean breaking event.

WILDFLOWER's first race on SF Bay, April of 1977, was with an all women crew. I only mention this because the next day we were unexpectedly featured in the San Francisco Examiner's "Society" Section, WTF. The article began "on the distaff side." I'd never heard of "distaff" and thought the reporter believed we had some sort of infectious disease.

Flash ahead to Battle Mountain, Feb.3, 2010. Here's Barbara Buatois setting the still standing Women's Bicycle Speed Record of 75.46 mph. Not only did Barbara set the speed record, but also pedaled 52.2 miles in one hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-7fBZfIIQ

That's some remarkable pedaling. I wonder what her heart rate was. And how she steered. Good thing there was no cross wind or might get blown off the road!
    I think she can steer with "handlebars" down by her hips.

That's absolutely incredible....
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Name:  Rye5.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  768.9 KB

A postcard from Annie shows what on first glance looks like the San Joaquin Delta, inland from San Francisco Bay. But then you see the castle ( Ypres Tower) built in 1249 to protect this famous port, Rye, in southwest England, from invasion by the French.

Rye lies 53 miles south of London. The Strait of Dover, at the east end of the English Channel, is 2 miles distant down the River Rother, which has changed course several times and was much shoaled by silting and farming over the centuries.

Rye has always been a haven for smugglers. Nearby is the infamous Mermaid Inn, built in 1156 with secret underground passages for quick escapes.

Annie wrote she could see boats sailing near shore from her window.

Name:  Rye6.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  337.2 KB

Then the tide went out, and the ocean disappeared. Annie and her cousin put on their Wellies and went for a walk on the mud flats.

Name:  Rye1.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  1.09 MB

Since 1803, lifeboats have been stationed at Rye. How they got them afloat at low tide I do not know. But with the World's busiest shipping lanes just offshore, they most certainly did.

Name:  Rye7.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  642.0 KB

Mind The Gap.

(all photos courtesy Lily and Emmy Photography.)
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-03-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Since 1803, lifeboats have been stationed at Rye. How they got them afloat at low tide I do not know. But with the World's busiest shipping lanes just offshore, they most certainly did.
    Name:  Rye7.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  642.0 KB
    I did not know when I wrote the above, the answer was right in front of me. On the lower right corner of the lifeboat house is a plaque in tribute to the Rye lifeboat crew, all 17 who were lost in a severe storm in 1928 aboard the Rye lifeboat MARY STANFORD. The crew constituted nearly all the able bodied men of Rye,

The old lifeboat house has remained unused since that fateful day, November 15th, 1928 when the MARY STANFORD lifeboat was launched to answer the distress call of a ship collision. The wind was reportedly blowing in excess of 70 knots as the crew manhandled their 4 ton boat over the shingle and sand.

It took three tries to get the MARY STANFORD launched and underway, and as they pushed off into the storm and rowed seaward, word was received that the crew of the distressed ship had all been saved. The lifeboat crew could not see the signals from the shore, and the MARY STANFORD continued on (no radios in those days.) The storm capsized the boat and all 17 crew perished.

https://ms-my.facebook.com/rnli/vide...22R%2399%22%7D

Irony of ironies, in 1968, aboard the Dutch One Tonner DE SCHELDE in a cross Channel race, we lost our mast in the vicinity of Rye. The submerged rigging disabled the propeller and we were adrift in the shipping lanes. The Rye lifeboat responded and towed us to safety.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-01-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Name:  Pleasure Point.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  78.1 KB

Thanks for sharp eyes of Capt. Bob and Mike M. of Sunset Beach, Hawaii, spotting this unidentified black sloop (ketch?) attempting to sail in anchored kelp just east of Pleasure Point, one mile west of Capitola Wharf.

Randall is sailing amongst ice floes. Anchored kelp is softer, but a sign the depth is likely 40 feet or less with a rocky bottom which the kelp "holdfast" is rooted to.

In the Pacific NW, sailing into kelp is especially hazardous as kelp likely marks a submerged rock or reef. Ask Dan and Linda. Their PEGASUS XIV encountered kelp just off Cape St. Mary on the east side of Lopez Island. Unfortunately the kelp marked Kellet Reef and Peggy Sue's fin keel was pushed up (as designed) as it met rock below.

Kelp will also obstruct the cooling water intake, as well as slow or stop a small boat's engine. In the photo attached, the water depth inside the kelp line is 20 feet or less. There's a reason this is one of the best surf spots in Monterey Bay. The black sloop wouldn't be the first to land on the beach in front of Jack O'Neill's house.
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-04-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Deepest condolences to the people of the Bahamas and residents of the Abacos and Grand Bahama Island who have lost so much in Category 5 hurricane Dorian.

Numbness in our neighborhoods with the loss of the 75' diveboat CONCEPTION and 34 souls trapped below in a quick spreading, 3 a.m.,fire off Santa Cruz Island. The dive leader, co-owner of a local diving adventure company with her husband, had chartered CONCEPTION and died. Two Santa Cruz high school students were also aboard, as was a well known water district employee. There are likely others from our area. A full casualty list is not yet available.....condolences to all who are feeling this greatest of loss.

Facts are just emerging, many contradictory as interpreted by the media, as to the cause of the fire and the loss of lives. CONCEPTION was an older boat, 1981, that was plywood with fiberglass sheathing. The fire was likely not caused by an "explosion," but was explosive in nature: it erupted and spread quickly. In the heat of the fire, compressed air in the scuba tanks may have caused explosion sounds.

The galley and stove were electric, not propane. A generator provides electrical power and was likely running at the time. Was there a charging station on the galley deck to recharge cameras, phones, and computers? I'm not familiar. An electrical fire is a possibility.

There were stairs out of the cramped sleeping quarters, but they led upward into the galley area where the fire likely began. A secondary escape hatch was required by CG regs and also led to the galley area. But, in photos, IMO, the secondary hatch, small and without steps, does not look a practical exit for an event of this magnitude occurring rapidly in darkness.

5 surviving crew (out of 6 crew total) began interviews yesterday with the NTSB and Coast Guard. The remains of CONCEPTION lie overturned on the bottom in 60 feet at Platts (aka Dick's) anchorage, 1 mile east of Fry's Harbor and 9 miles east of the West End of Santa Cruz Island.

There is speculation about raising and towing..

Name:  Conception.png
Views: 1265
Size:  400.9 KB

RIP
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-05-2019 at 05:01 PM.

As Hurricane Dorian approaches the Outer Banks of the Carolinas, here's what 50 knots of wind looks like at 100 feet on Frying Pan Shoals, off Cape Fear, southeast of Wilmington, NC. at 1:15 PM PDT. Frying Pan is a decommissioned platform with a helo accessible Bed and Breakfast (!) with pool table and wifi..

https://explore.org/livecams/frying-pan/frying-pan-cam

Dorian is supposed to go to 95 knots before moving quickly out to sea. I wouldn't be surprised if the hurricane center goes right over Frying Pan and the sky temporarily goes cloudless and the wind goes soft.

Doggies, bolt your socks on and harness up the fluffies. Not sure you want to be landing a helo at the moment either.

Update at 4:30 pm: >62 knots being recorded now at Frying Pan. What will go first, the flag, the power, or the daylight? The center of Hurricane Dorian will pass just inshore of Frying Pan and make landfall over Cape Lookout as a strong Category 2, 83-95 knots.

The wind is still from the SE, indicating the center has not yet passed, and the web cam is in the dangerous semi-circle, where the forward motion of Dorian of 9 knots is added to the wind speed.

The Old Glory flag named "Steve' is specially made extra strong and the surviving pieces will be auctioned off to benefit Hurricane Dorian victims, as have previous named flags at Frying Pan.

The 100 or more wild mustangs on the Outer Banks are going to be huddled up, butts to the wind, under sturdy oak trees as they've been doing for 500 years.....
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Congratulations Jeanne and NEREIDA on your circumnavigation!
    Name:  Nereida.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  72.3 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 09-07-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Heading for this post should be Cheap and Nasty.

There are no keelboats, but others are shown.

When access to this area (other than pack train) was provided by the construction roads for the Big Creek Project, the Chief Engineer called the construction roads 'cheap and nasty'. I can tell from experience this past week, things have not changed at all.

The hydroelectric lakes have ferry service that connects with upstream end of lake and PCT and JMT trails. As I was eating my lunch inside to avoid the Yellowjackets, I was chatting and looking around. It turns out the boat inside was an earlier version of the ferry. But, the hull was made of shaped corrugated metal roofing and wooden gunwales held the shape, as well as seats that provided flotation. See for yourself!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2612
Size:  3.05 MB

The side view show the flattened corrugated.

Views: 2540
Size:  2.22 MB

The history was there to find!

At an upstream point of one of the diversion tunnels, I launched the Wee Lassie and searched for trout. As an FYI, one of the underground tunnels in the hydro project is 13 miles long.

Views: 1328
Size:  3.92 MB

Fun times!

Ants