Page 368 of 627 FirstFirst ... 268318358364365366367368369370371372378418468 ... LastLast
Results 3,671 to 3,680 of 6270

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  Koa Canoe.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  76.6 KB

Who are these people? Hint: one a triple Olympic Gold Medalist. The other made significant solo Atlantic and Pacific passages. Bonus points for the canoe construction material.

I gave up on Google telling me the construction material.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermission View Post
    I gave up on Google telling me the construction material.
    Hint for the bonus points: The outrigger canoe in which the two yet to be recognized crew are paddling is constructed of legendary, highly revered, and sacred wood, native to and growing only in Hawaii.

The beautiful grain of this wood is renowned for its deep, rich colors and varied patterns. This wood is highly favored for guitars and the sweet sounds it produces.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-08-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Too easy! I’d know that smiling face anywhere. That’s Amelia* and Duke*, and of course the wood is Koa.

*famously lost aviator Amilia Earhart and the father of surfing Duke Kahanamoku.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 03-08-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    Tom P.

Correct! Thanks, Tom. Yes, Duke Kahanamoku won 3 Olympic Gold medals (and 2 silver) in swimming. Amelia Earhart was first woman to fly solo both the Atlantic and Pacific (Hawaii to Mainland.)

Anyone visiting Capitola Boat Club and Maritime Museum, besides enjoying Marianne's Macapuno ice cream, will be able to examine a Polynesian voyaging canoe (waʻa kaulua or vaka moana) built of Koa wood.

Your quiz triggered a memory of reading a recent article in THE NATURE CONSERVANCY magazine about the Kona Hema Preserve on the Island of Hawai'i. The 8,245 acre preserve (not open to the public) protects part of an ancient koa-`ohi`a forest that spans more than 100,000 acres along the leeward coast of the Island of Hawai'i. Here on the slopes of Mauna Loa fly the endangered Hawaiian hawk, or `io,* the Hawaiian hoary bat, and globally unique native songbird species: the `apapane, `i`iwi, `elepaio, and `amakihi. The preserve is the home of the largest koa tree in the US: 115 feet tall with a circumference of 343.3 inches. This koa was placed on the 2012 National Register of Big Trees.

Name:  hema_koa1.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  480.4 KB

*Some readers might recognize the Hawaiian name for that endangered hawk as the name of a new shorthanded boat on our SF Bay.
    Tom P.

Thanks much to DAZZLER for the additional info regarding the Big Island's Koa Preserve and its inhabitants!

Also, thank you to Howard Spruit for forwarding Santa Cruz Yacht Club's stated procedures for possible presence of Covid19 Virus. I'm sure all Bay Area yacht clubs and sailing organizations subscribe to these precautions. As an aside, it was impressive to watch the transparent briefing by CA Gov. Newsom, Oakland Mayor Schaaf, and others regarding tomorrow's docking and disembarkation of the cruise ship GRAND PRINCESS at Oakland's Outer Harbor.

Dear Fellow Members:

I am sure you are following news of the coronavirus (COVID-19), which is changing almost day by day. The Flag Officers and Board of Directors are carefully monitoring and reviewing the issue and wish to reassure the membership that actions are being taken by the Club now.

Reducing the Risk
    In order to help reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus, we ask that all members and staff observe these procedures to help prevent the spread of illness:
    Wash hands often with soap and water, or with alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
    Cover a cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue into the trash immediately.
    Stay home if you are sick, and avoid close contact with people who are sick.
    Avoid touching of your eyes, nose and mouth.

Actions by the Club
    If you or a guest are feeling sick or showing signs of symptoms, please advise a staff member, who will direct the individual to a specified, isolated area in the Clubhouse until medical assistance arrives.
    We are increasing the number of hand sanitizer stations and tissue dispensers throughout the Clubhouse. We will also work with the cleaning staff to ensure thorough cleaning with disinfectants.

Future Club Events
    We will continue to monitor the situation with regard to all upcoming Club events. I assure you that the Club will do everything possible to ensure that members' and guests' enjoyment of the Clubhouse is unaffected. However, we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of all members, guests and staff.

Moving Forward
    Our intention is that the majority of planned Club events go ahead as scheduled. We will keep an accurate list of attendees so that should someone be infected we can quickly contact all who were at a given event.

Given the dynamic nature of the situation, we are prepared to take action as the situation changes. Any such decisions will be communicated to membership as far in advance as possible.
    Your understanding during these times is very much appreciated. Please be safe.

Jason Lauer
    Commodore
    Santa Cruz Yacht Club
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-08-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Some readers might recognize the Hawaiian name for that endangered hawk as the name of a new shorthanded boat on our SF Bay.
    I attended the "Builders' Party" last Sunday out on the end of E Dock. It was a Who's Who of well-known sailors and industry pros, including the guys who created 'io. We all cringed as a bottle of bubbly was repeatedly smashed on 'io's bow until the bottle, not the bow, finally broke. The bottle was smashed against a wrapped winch handle but the carbon hull still resonated like a bass drum and it made your teeth rattle.

Commodore Tompkins dove below for a spell. When he emerged I asked what he thought. "Very well built" he declared. The build was not easy because the hull was formed on the original Antrim 27 molds that are 25 years old and were not designed for resin infusion.

As most of you know, 'io was launched and test-sailed on a Friday and won the Three Bridge Fiasco overall on Saturday. Buzz and Jim Antrim plan to double-hand 'io in the upcoming Pacific Cup.

Here's Buzz Blackett, 'io's owner, and his bottle-busting assistant:

Name:  Builder's Party.JPG
Views: 1111
Size:  644.5 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-09-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Name:  nourah.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  88.2 KB

Oh, dear. What happens when your 230', $80,000,000 megayacht gets hauled for a fresh coat of bottom paint and something goes awry. No injuries except to the Saudi prince's floating palace. I think the water in the pool may have to be changed.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-10-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Listen up and read carefully. Name:  America's Cup.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  2.75 MB

For a tin of TJ's Triple Ginger Snaps, what is the name of this schooner, first to win the America's Cup? And what did she have in common exactly 100 year's later, 1970, with Bill Lee's first ultra light, a 30 foot 505, in Santa Cruz?

Be the first to beat DAZZLER to the singular correct answer.
    Last edited by sleddog; 03-11-2020 at 09:26 PM.