Page 382 of 628 FirstFirst ... 282332372378379380381382383384385386392432482 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,820 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICdreamer View Post
    Alan: Thanks for the compliments.
    We were primarily cruising folk and did not like to risk losing a dinghy under tow much less put up with its drag, especially when racing.

Craig
    Seen close up & in color, I would be careful with such a beautiful launch as well.
    Lovely from the canvass tucked gunwales to the inlaid stern bench...

DH

Now we know Marianne's ice cream is available in the East Bay, 15 minutes from DURA MATER, prizes will be easier to award during Shelter In Place:

We've already identified the amazing pelagic water skimmer, the Hallobates Sericeus, of the Eastern Pacific Gyre (Pacific High).

This oceanic animal is closer to home, and likely encountered by singlehanded cruisers to the 8 Channel Islands off Southern California. Are you listening TIGER BEETLE?

What is this animal that may feature which of the following:

1) A weapon that helped win WW II. 2) a sound for falling asleep in the bunk 3) a light as hot as the sun 4) a noise louder than a rocket launch 5) cavitation not associated with your rudder or propeller. 6) a sperm whale.

One guess/24 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Now we know Marianne's ice cream is available in the East Bay, 15 minutes from DURA MATER, prizes will be easier to award during Shelter In Place:
    Wait just a minute! What am I: your proxy? I can't have sailors breaking down my door in Oakland yammering about how they won something you promised! Besides, I've just spent hours negotiating an upwind slip on E Dock for my favorite former Commodore. It was grueling work and now here I am slaving away in the kitchen baking lemon bread as thanks to our wonderful harbormaster, Tim. BTW, coming down your way Tuesday.

perhaps I can defuse this...
    Is the answer #2; Snapping Shrimp?
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Wait just a minute! What am I: your proxy? I can't have sailors breaking down my door in Oakland yammering about how they won something you promised! Besides, I've just spent hours negotiating an upwind slip on E Dock for my favorite former Commodore. It was grueling work and now here I am slaving away in the kitchen baking lemon bread as thanks to our wonderful harbormaster, Tim. BTW, coming down your way Tuesday.
    "What is this animal that may feature which of the following:"
    Then you list several criteria. I don't understand how the question above applies to multiple criteria.

I listened to NPR yesterday while doing boat wiring and heard the whole story. I already knew about the snapping shrimp as I had been a live aboard in Sausalito for many years. What I didn’t know was “the rest of the story.” So there is more to the right answer.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I listened to NPR yesterday while doing boat wiring and heard the whole story. I already knew about the snapping shrimp as I had been a live aboard in Sausalito for many years. What I didn’t know was “the rest of the story.” So there is more to the right answer.
    Nobody has, as yet, answered correctly by selecting from the above 6 options ...although DAZZLER and HEDGEHOG have identified correctly a benthic crustacean, the snapping shrimp, AKA "pistol shrimp." This obviously eliminates #6, the sperm whale, leaving 5 options to choose from. Heads up, more than one option of the remaining 5 may be valid.

Name:  pistol shrimp.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  2.7 KB

As for Marianne's ice cream being available 15 minutes from DM, no worries, the location is not Jackie's freezer..Rather, a store at position: 1850 Solano Ave., Berkeley/Kensington/Albany confluence, which lies 8 miles from DM.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-31-2020 at 02:25 PM.

I'll take 3 and 5, Alex.

“(It) essentially create(s) this cavitation bubble,” said coral reef biologist Nancy Knowlton of the Smithsonian Institute. “And when the bubble collapses, it generates that snap sound,” as opposed to the impact of the claws themselves making the noise.

More importantly, the collapse of the bubble generates, for a split second, temperatures of 8,000 degrees Fahrenheit, nearly as hot as the surface of the sun, and also, oddly, a flash of light. The resulting shockwave bombards the shrimp’s prey, which if it’s lucky will die instantly because it’s then dragged into the pistol shrimp’s burrow and consumed."

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post

We've already identified the amazing pelagic water skimmer, the Hallobates Sericeus, of the Eastern Pacific Gyre (Pacific High).

This oceanic animal is closer to home, and likely encountered by singlehanded cruisers to the 8 Channel Islands off Southern California. Are you listening TIGER BEETLE?

What is this animal that may feature which of the following:

1) A weapon that helped win WW II. 2) a sound for falling asleep in the bunk 3) a light as hot as the sun 4) a noise louder than a rocket launch 5) cavitation not associated with your rudder or propeller. 6) a sperm whale.

One guess/24 hours!
    What a small world!

While visits to CBC and Skip (of course) included an option for Mariannes macapuno ice cream. But , stop the presses as the newspaper folks used to say!

My other east bay haunt is in Albany, a mere half block from Solano Avenue.

Gracious hospitality and special ice cream at both locations.

Sounds like essential travel to me.

As for the puzzle, I am bumfuzzled.

Ants

Somewhat unfair since I heard the story on NPR, but hint, hint... There’s a very interesting story with #1.
    And it’s my Sue that discovered the East Bay source for Marianne’s ice cream. We have not yet explored the range of locally available flavors.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 05-31-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    Tom P.