Page 392 of 628 FirstFirst ... 292342382388389390391392393394395396402442492 ... LastLast
Results 3,911 to 3,920 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Name:  fire.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  126.0 KB

Despite heavy smoke, ash, and hazardous air quality of the Santa Cruz and San Mateo county fires, there are positive developments for the 77,000 evacuees who have flooded into Santa Cruz. Yesterday's and this morning's marine layer and fog, cool temps, and light onshore winds, coupled with reinforcements to an under manned Cal Fire, have stemmed much of the advance of the 22 lightning fires that merged into one apocalyptic conflagration burning as far as Pescadero Creek and La Honda to the north, Skyline on the East, to the ocean at Ano Nuevo in the west, and approaching Santa Cruz city limits in the south.

Boulder Creek town, Ben Lomond, Felton, Scott's Valley, Pasatiempo, UCSC, et all, though all evacuated, have apparently been spared. Sadly, not so Bonny Doon, Last Chance, the north and west side of Boulder Creek and the San Lorenzo Valley, where likely hundreds of homes and large swaths of forest and wildlife have been incinerated with consequences that will last for generations. Even 1,000 to 1,800 year, old growth, ancient Coast Redwoods of Big Basin, California's oldest state park, have burned to their crowns and fallen. These trees, the tallest in the world and usually impervious to fire, are crashing to the forest floor with thunderous reverberations of their death.

Words cannot describe the stress, sadness, and heavy hearts of our communities. Climate change is real and happening and the toll is exceeding repayment. Bless Mother Earth and pray for help to heal her pain.

Here's Big Basin State Park redwoods on Thursday at Waddell Creek where it enters the Pacific Ocean.
    Name:  fire3.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  13.4 KB

PS, thanks to all who have expressed concern. Capitola Boat Club (CBC) is packed and planned for possible eventualities, but currently remains safe. Time to put up the Christmas tree and call it a year.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-22-2020 at 07:17 PM.

The pic of the ridges at Waddell Creek just hurts. I love that valley, been hiking up there many times. Awwww...crap.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    In a different year, WILDFLOWER would be in the San Juan Islands about now.
    Just noticed Wildflower's passage to her new owner. I well remember first meeting the original Wildflower, and the Redcrest, in 1987 in Moorea although it seemed you mainly commuted on your windsurfer. I also still use the same dingy although it has a few patches, an Avon Rover 2.8. Speaking of windsurfers, I can't forget my first encounter the following year with Peter Sutter in Musket Cove, Fiji. We were chatting away as he sailed his windsurfer over to the anchored Dolfin and then "thump", he T-boned poor Dolfin. I was wondering where (or if) this guy had learned to sail. First impressions can be so wrong!

Can't wait to hear what you come up with next.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37

Sunday, 8/23/20 11 a.m.

This morning's Santa Cruz fire briefing, (9 minutes) is positive with 8% containment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfBln5-Xak

However, more dry lightning strikes and accompanying strong and erratic outflow winds are possible this afternoon into tomorrow with the passage of the remnants of Hurricane Genevieve, the forerunners of which are currently passing offshore Morro Bay and headed NW up the central CA coast.
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-23-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Name:  OliveB.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  441.3 KB

Sweet. As I walk almost daily along Santa Cruz Harbor's west breakwater, nothing makes me smile faster than to be passed by the commercial fish boat OLIVE B, outbound on her daily questing. Compared to most other designs, no matter what OLIVE B's speed, she leaves almost no wake.

In addition, OLIVE B has a direct connection to a notable and inspirational singlehanded voyage, only completed once before.

For homemade pasta sauce from the tomato garden growing in the CBC front yard, what is OLIVE B's connection to singlehanded history and how?

My guess is MAGIC DREAMER, DAZZLER, HEDGEHOG, and SILVER ALERT know the answer, and I expect one of them to tell us shortly. Can you beat them with the right answer? If so, I will include a quart of Marianne's Macapuno with the pasta sauce. No limit on guesses. Clue: sister won the Bermuda Race and namesake won the Transpac.

Name:  Hairy.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  98.1 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-26-2020 at 03:56 PM.

You keep piling on the hints and PICTURES, somebodies got to make all the connections!

This is not a hit, but I found interesting. OLVIE B is documented, 34’ with 11’ beam, built of fiberglass in Santa Cruz, in 1986. She is not what she appears to be. Her original owner was a Santa Cruz architect.
    So after the puzzle is solved, do tell the rest of the story.
    Tom P.

The last photo is Harry Pidgeon's Islander. Islander's 34' hull was the same as Olive B's, with hard chines running its full length.

Islander won her "Under 35' " class in the 1928 Bermuda Race*, after Pidgeon had sailed her singlehanded around the world. Pidgeon was the second person to circumnavigate solo (after Slocum).

In 1963, a 40' sloop Islander won the TransPac, skippered by a 21 year old Tom Corkett.

So I will guess that Olive B's hull is a copy of Pidgeon's Islander.

* According to the Bermuda Race history I read, it wasn't a sistership.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-26-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Olive B seems to be the first time I have seen a commercial fishing boat with a full sailing setup (mast, mainsail and jib), not just a steadying sail.

Olive B seems to be a sailboat reincarnated for commercial fishing. A commercial fishing license typically requires a US built vessel.

Other than those observations, I don't have a clue.

Ants

Good news locally is the Santa Cruz area fire is encircled with defensible containment lines and "fire fighting" has transitioned to ground crews and helos directing controlled burns to reduce accumulation of forest floor fuels that provide "burn ladders" into canopies.

"Repopulation" of evacuated areas is beginning as soon as safe. As the fires recede, road crews clear fallen trees, followed by utility trucks re-establishing connects. UCSC and likely Pasatiempo have been cleared to "repopulate."

Many evacuees are living on boats at the Harbor. Others with no homes to return to are attempting to make plans. There are still missing people. Air Quality Index locally currently varying from 278-350, "unhealthy to hazardous."

All ports and hatches at CBC are closed, and I'm not leaving nav station for outside activities until air improves, sometimes in the early evening when the easterly eddy begins and the grey, smoky marine layer rolls up the coast. Then sunset begins into reddish skies, and stars appear to the south and east. Venus is now particularly bright near the waxing moon after sunset.

Winner, winner, pasta dinner and ice cream for BobJ who did extensive research and answered correctly that OLIVE B, built locally in Santa Cruz by her owner in 1986 of strip planking with fiberglas sheathing, has the same hull as Harry Pidgeon's ISLANDER that was second to solo circumnavigate, 1921-1925, 23 years after Joshua Slocum on SPRAY.

OLIVE B was originally launched as a beautifully finished motor sailing yacht with no fishing intentions. Her stumpy rig is original as is the dog house. At some point the owner/builder sold OLIVE B and the transition to fishing began.

But back to Harry Pidgeon who was also first to solo-circumnavigate by way of the Panama Canal, and first to solo circumnavigate twice. On both voyages he sailed ISLANDER, which Pidgeon built on the beach in San Pedro for ~ $1,000.

Around the World Single-Handed and the Cruise of the Islander remain classics of literature for their descriptions of island cultures during those times.

ISLANDER was lost on her 3rd circumnavigation in the New Hebrides (now Vanuatu) in 1947. Her shape, as is OLIVE B's, is a classic derivation of the smaller "Seabird" design by Charles Mower and Thomas Fleming Day of which many are familiar. Even today, you'll occasionally see a Seabird, or their bigger brethern the Seagoer (34') in harbors along the West Coast. Most were self built of plywood.

Here's ISLANDER being built on Mormon Island in San Pedro in 1917. She was launched the next year:

Name:  Hairy2.png
Views: 437
Size:  366.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 08-27-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Winner, winner, pasta dinner for BobJ who did extensive research and answered correctly that OLIVE B, built locally in Santa Cruz by her owner in 1986 of strip planking, cold molding, and fiberglas sheathing, has the same hull as Harry Pidgeon's ISLANDER that was second to solo circumnavigate, 1921-1925, 23 years after Joshua Slocum on SPRAY.
    Nice story, Skip. And I'm glad to hear that you and many of your neighbors down there can look forward to surcease soon.

When I visit the CBC I don't know how to find my way there. it used to be so easy:

Name:  wildflower II w spin up 091914.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  77.1 KB

Does Bob get the ice cream, too?
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-27-2020 at 11:49 AM.