Page 399 of 628 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400401402403409449499 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 6278

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

Rainer has a very good camera. Those shots are crystal clear. Please give him my regards.

It's always sad to hear of boat damage. Trish P. friend, singlehander, and skipper of AUK, an 18.5 foot, English design, sloop was about to experience arrival of third hurricane in a month in Gulfport, near Biloxi, Mississippi.
    Again, she stripped the decks and rig except for the mast.

Name:  AUK1.JPG
Views: 1587
Size:  1.72 MB

This time the approaching hurricane, Zeta, went to Cat.2 as it closed the Gulf Coast on Thursday, and its center scored a bullseye on Gulfport. 90 knot gusts were recorded with an 8-12 foot storm surge.

Trish had driven her camper to refuge an hour inland, leaving AUK in her local boatyard strapped to the trailer. On her return, after negotiating downed trees and powerlines, Trish found AUK had blown over, her mast fetching up on adjacent 50 foot powerboat.

Fortunately, the only current observed damage is the bent mast and broken spreader. AUK is a tough little boat. AUK will not be righted until tomorrow, and further damage may then be ascertained. Geico has be notified, and the yard manager is on the situation.

Name:  AUK4.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  2.08 MB

From photos, it appears the cause of the AUK's blowing over was a combination of the extreme wind against mast and hull, high center of gravity of the hull on the trailer, as well as the softened earth created by 2-4 feet of water flooding the boat yard, which was at 11' feet of elevation. As an aside, nearby, multiple 18 wheeler trucks were blown over, roofs ripped off homes, and boats in a marina blown ashore with one drowning.

We wish Trish well in setting things to right, which I'm confident she will do.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-02-2020 at 11:31 AM.

She certainly strapped AUK down well. It didn't even come off the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    She certainly strapped AUK down well. It didn't even come off the trailer.
    Good news: As of this morning, AUK has been righted. I misstated her length. Not 23' but 18.5'. When another hurricane approaches, hopefully not this season, AUK's verticality will likely utilize jack stands in position to assist Trish's trailer.

Meanwhile, at 2 pm Monday, PJ on CHANGABANG is 277 miles northwest of Half Moon Bay and should be making landfall at HMB Wednesday afternoon after 35 days at sea. I believe he is looking forward to some home cooking.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-02-2020 at 04:24 PM.

She certainly looks bigger than 18.5 feet....cute little boat!...OUCH on the mast, though. Yes, some jackstands would have prevented that, or some lines lead to substantial posts hammered into the ground.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

While on the water today, I had occasion to use a common article of gear not usually found afloat, but available for less than $10 at an auto parts store or flea market This piece of equipment, without modification, can multi-task as a valuable piece of marine equipment for racing and cruising duty as a measuring device, an anchor for small craft, a mast step, an important connector that doesn't need a knot or shackle, a hiking aid, and can become vital to quickly changing a boat's direction.

What is this?

The first to answer will treat this thread to a description and photo by Philpott of her most unusual but tasty new breakfast food she says is "so delish I had it instead of breakfast, and gives Marianne's Macapuno or Petrolabs' Diesel Power Plus a run for its money." No, I can't at this time promise a taste, as it is currently only available to Jackie and wouldn't travel well to CBC.
    Last edited by sleddog; 11-05-2020 at 10:06 PM.

[QUOTE=sleddog;27800]While on the water today, I had occasion to use a common article of gear not usually found afloat, but available for less than $10 at an auto parts store.

I am impressed, the oll, sled dog found something at a car parts store for less than $10

[QUOTE=Howard Spruit;27815]
    Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    While on the water today, I had occasion to use a common article of gear not usually found afloat, but available for less than $10 at an auto parts store.

I am impressed, the oll, sled dog found something at a car parts store for less than $10
    Under $6 at Walmart...But you probably already have one. Or two.

Automotive lug wrench. If you want to get fancy, the folding version.

Ants

No idea. Maybe the winning prize isn’t good enough? My dockmate, Howard,, just installed solar lights at the end of the fingers on each side of his slip. He says now he has his own private runway upon return in the dark.

The VOR (voice of reason) just asked why sailboats don’t have headlights. My “they just don’t” response doesn’t seem to be acceptable. So, of course, I turn here for truth. For a bowl of melting macapuna delivered to you in the cockpit of your boat next time you arrive in Santa Cruz harbor, what is the answer?