Page 4 of 628 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Sled

2/10/12
    Completed the companion way hatches yesterday. Next up, literally, is to bolt on the mast step and step the mast for rigging lengths. The mast rotates, as well as raises/ lowers fore or aft. Being a maxi-driveway cat, the birds that live in the bottle brush abutting the port hull have gotten quite used to the activity and watch at close range with chirping curiosity. It is not unusual to have robins and sparrows fly into the cabin for inspection. If they start nesting aboard, it really is time to launch.

I'm sure once completed, the further away from the driveway, the smaller the cat will become. For the moment, she looks huge. Apparently also to my 90 year old mother, who looks out the window and says, "will you be bringing THAT in the house?"

Before achieving success, I may have established some unenviable record for getting turned down for insurance: Verbally and in writing I've been told by BoatU.S: "we don't insure boats of your type, design, or build." Heritage: "no multi-hulls." Progressive: "do not have a program for watercraft with your description. Farmers: "Tricky..." McGinnis was straightforward "No." Bay Risk wanted a survey and while I was arranging that, called back to decline. BoatU.S continued to pester with e-mails, and when I reminded them they'd turned me down already, they said "send photos" ....I sent those and a resume and that was the last I heard.

Finally success through a firm in Annapolis who insures my brother's home built wooden boats. They know their boats, sailors, personalized service, fair rates, coverage for all N.America waters. Onward. ~sledcat, aka sleddog
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-09-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Skip been a long time, Sarah and I had a baby last year so I have been busy. Great to read your boat building adventure. Got any last items you need? Remember I run a yard and we are buried in old boat parts both at home and in the garage , One of my staff is trailering his O30 out for PAC cup in may and can deliver! Take care. Polar Bears

Eric: Great to hear from you! Congrats to you and Sarah. Thank you for your boat parts offer. I will keep you posted if we need anything. Currently a bucket of money and a barrel of time would be most helpful.

For those of you who remember, Eric gave his well prepped O30 POLAR BEAR one fine ride in the 2008 SHTP, and was first-to-finish, second overall. Eric's adventure began even before reaching SF, when he ran POLAR BEAR through the Bonneville Salt Flats speedway and set a land speed record for a sailboat pulled behind a pickup. This run confirmed Eric as a true lifetime bugliter even though he usually sails on fresh water near Duluth, MN.

Eric and POLAR BEAR were immortalized on the cover of Lat-38, showing how to "hang 10" at the Hanalei finish while planing under spinnaker. If I'm not mistaken (Eric, correct me if I'm wrong), POLAR BEAR's SHTP success made them celebrities at the Minnesota State Fair where a full scale POLAR BEAR was carved out of butter, becoming the only O30 to melt in the heat of a Minnesota Sept. afternoon.

For those who were wondering, winter arrived today, Feb.13, in Central California. To stay warm, we had to run the heater in the boat while cutting floorboards. Outside, the steady rain didn't deter the birdsong coming from the adjacent bottlebrush.

It was great to see SSS tribe represented yesterday at Rob Moore's Celebration of Life at CYC. The afternoon was filled with Rob's friends sharing memories that brought tears and laughter, often at that same time. For 18 years Rob was racing editor at Latitude 38. His courageous story of the last two years is eloquently told at http://rkmoore.wordpress.com

Outside the window at CYC was anchored one of our SSS icons. Not only did this boat win the DH Farallones Race one windy Spring. But has also sailed more miles in SF Bay than any boat in history. Lucie M. guessed MIRAGE, and was nearly right. Jonathan knew right away when he saw the black hull. First one to post the correct answer below wins a sail aboard our new cat.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-14-2012 at 10:51 PM.

I saw the boat on Sunday when I dropped off an old anchor.

It's COOL. Skip is doing a great job on her. Did I say that it's cool?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

2/17/12 Cause for celebration day: this week we completed carpentry. The overhead driveway tarps were cut down, and the boat is fully exposed to our benign winter weather. Today we lowered the mast from the umbrella base on the backyard deck, maneuvered it under the blossoming plum tree, set the mast tip on the garage roof, then Howard, Joe, and I walked the mast vertical on the boat and tensioned the rigging without incident, but with some accelerated heart rates. Next up is to jack the boat and cradle up, and slip under an athwartships balance beam. This will help determine the boat's balance point (horizontal center of gravity) necessary for 1) making lifting bridles and attachment points on deck 2) moving the axle on the trailer to achieve proper tongue weight.

Thanks to DIANNE and VINGILOTHIEL for recent contributions!

Great to see HAULBACK making sailing plans. Jim, I hope we can get together somewhere this Fall. I hope to have the new cat in the Gulf Islands in July. If you are around, give a shout.
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-17-2012 at 11:41 PM.

This afternoon, after securely blocking the wheels on the cradle, I set the white sails. First up: the Star jib, which needed its battens removed to facilitate roller furling. Then the Hobie 18 main, which looked a little dated with its 9 full length battens. I removed every other batten, attached luff slugs, and the main, though a bit on the small side, looks serviceable.

The wind was light. No flying ahull today ;-)

She shore is perty! Nice sail trim by the way.

Report from the driveway: In a scene out of Bug Liter meets Egyptian Pyramid Builder, yesterday I loaded the boat with its gear, anchors, outboard and fuel, rudder, inflatable dinghy, etc. Howard and I then jacked up the boat and balanced the hull and cradle on some 2"x2"'s set on cinder blocks. Moving the 2"x2"'s laterally in half inch increments, we were able to determine the fulcrum and balance point of the boat.

The balance point, 20" aft of the mast, is critical. It helps determine where to position the lifting sling eyes and where to relocate the trailer axle. The boat was teetering like a giant seesaw. With a light touch of a finger, I could make the cat hobby horse like she was plunging upwind in the short chop of a San Pablo Bay ebb. ~ sleddog 2/21/12
    Last edited by sleddog; 02-21-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Congrats, getting closer to splash day!

Hey Skip:

Look forward to meeting up with you in the Gulf Islands this summer. Let me know when you are headed up this way. I am sure Haulback will be up for it by then.

Jim